Register now to get rid of these ads!

15 OZ Fuel Coupe @ Bako

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Hinds, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Does anyone know if the 15 OZ fuel Coupe will be in Bakersfield this weekend. In to see it again, it has only been 48 years since I last saw it......

2. 296ardun

296ardun

Hope so, used to crew on it...far as I know, Les Hawkins is in Las Vegas, don't know what happened to Lyle Webster....Mike Bartlett, who also drove it, died recently..........who restored it?

3. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Les lived up the street from me but I understand he is having problems with Alzheimer's or some other age related problem. Doubt if he would remember me. I was 14-15 then and I sure as hell don't look the same. Didn't a Mike Demerest (spelling) work on the care? Well I hope she is there, because if I ever do another project which would be my last, I would like to build something very close to that car. What a stance, just shouts BAD ASS Hot Rod.....

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

5. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I think Chili Phil may know. You might want to shoot him a PM.

6. I'm not sure if it will be at Bako. I will ask and post here. The car is ready to go, Read has a legal firesuit and helmet. I know they have some Pop. So...maybe. Lyle is still alive. Les isn't in great health, but he's into doing it. I'll ask tomorrow.

My Viper Brother, Francis, helps on the car. At 71 he's one of the younger fellas involved.

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks CP. Would like to jog Les brain a little. Aways thought the car was the hottest thing since sunburn. Spoke with Paul Grichar last year at Long Beach ( boat races)and he told me he also took turn behind the wheel of the coupe. Small world. Even if the car sit in the pits that would be good for me, like I said it has been a few years since I saw the car...

Stogy and ewob53 like this.
  8. snaptwo

snaptwo

Big Mike Demerest once said that waaay back ,everyone involved got to make a pass. No fuel licence needed then, just balls!Something about 15 passes over a weekend with a very tired 354. RIP Mikee.

9. That video will have to go down in time as one of the all time greats.. it just doesnt get any better than that!!.. A true hot rod..

10. yeahRight

yeahRight

11. That thing is amazing !

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

just can't get enough of that car....one bad moth.....er

13. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Yeah, that is pretty amazing coupe

14. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

Sorry Mark;
    Gary took his engine out of the car & as soon as I can I will put the original 300CI motor in the car an Lyle wants to drive again & if my knee heals (the VA just built me a new knee. I'm 79 & my doctor say's I'm in better health than he is. I am at 775-971-9110 I live in Reno right now. Web Site Les Hawkins.com Love to hear from old fans & racers. I've been drag racing since 1953.

Les Hawkins

Spoggie likes this.
  15. So cool that you are here and still racing one of the most wicked cool cars on the face of the planet.

Spoggie likes this.
  16. snaptwo

snaptwo

That coupe has an aura to it. Hard to explain the feeling I get just watching the videos . It is to me as great a piece as the 554 coupe, The Wing or the Ratican,Jackson and Stearns. One bad Jose !! It deserves a special place at the next CHRR with recognition for all the hands that have been on it, are you listening Mr. Gibbs ?

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just watching that video, I can almost smell it

18. 296ardun

296ardun

Les, Dave Sorenson here, you used to let me crew the 15oz coupe, I worked at Blair's, and you built the chassis for the original "Panic" altered I ran with Don Wilson (what ever happened to him?)...remember when you had a cat-scan at the LA County Hospital in the mid-60s, I had one years later and never forgot what you said about it (like exploding a bomb in your head!)...(I also ran the Ardun-powered car in my avatar with Phil Brown, lost track of him years ago)...glad you are doing well...

19. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Glad to hear you are feeling good Les. The last time we talked a friend of mind and I bought a main cap girdle from you when you were still on Vanderwell in Valinda (La Puente). If you need any help let me know, I turned into a pretty good fabricator, owned Sparks Welding in Pomona for more years than I can remember. Will call just to shoot the bull. I'd like to have a clone for the street. That car has left a mark on my brain I can't seem to get rid of. It has the BADDEST stance of anything going. Other than pictures the time on Vanderwell was the last time I saw the coupe. Talk to you soon....Mark

Spoggie likes this.
  20. Wow. This is cool. Power of the HAMB, huh?

Hello Les. Good to hear that you're feeling well.

Phil

32Stoker likes this.
  21. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

No chit Phil. I spoke with Mikio Yoshioka and he told me he thought Gary was an old Altered driver and gave me a number for Steve Haigh. Didn't work. Then talked to Herb Reis but he didn't seem to remember a face with the name. His brother in law Richard Hibbard said he would try and get some info. But lo and behold Les himself comes on here and made it feel like Christmas. What a place the HAMB board is. Thanks for the help Phil. I have a quest. See the 15 OZ. fuel coupe and I might just get this one done.....Mark

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

one awesome site,I too would like to see this ICON fryin some tires,makin eyes burn...agian. an it's in RENO. welcome to the hamb ,Les

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  23. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I've always liked the 15oz coupe more than the 554, it sits just right and it's meaner than any junk-yard dog, love those videos too thanks.

Scotty.

Spoggie likes this.
  24. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

Hey 296ardun;
    What is going on? I don't remember you by the picture & I din't know if you are Donnie Couch. My phone number is on my web site Les Hawkins.com. Call me & I will give you the truth about me & the car. I ran the original BAD NEWS COUPE in the middle 60's. 96-inch wheelbase & that car was the first altered (it was BFA) to run over 170. We went 174.74in 8:90 in 1965. My health is great.
    Les Hawkins (owner of the 15oz coupe)

Stogy likes this.
  25. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

Hello Dave;
    Step & a half (Don Wilson) died & Gary Read ended up with all Don's stuff. The Donavan in the car was Don Wilson & now its Gary's The 15oz always went straight. Jim Kirby built a new funny car frame & Gary tried to run the car with an off set front end & wouls not change it Thats why the car pulled to the left.. Good to hear from you. I lost track of Phil Brown too.
    Les Hawkins

26. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Well I would like to thank all the great folks here on the Hamb, without your help I would never have found the 15OZ. Fuel Coupe. After talking to Les Hawkins and getting in touch with Gary Read today was the day I have been looking forward to for a very long time. Took a friend with me and Gary was thrilled to see him after so many years. Here are some picture I took, in the trailer but still can tell what I was taking pictures of. The picture with the two OLD guys is Mikio Yoshioko on the left and Gary Read on the right. Would love to work on that car myself just to see in run down the return road. My mind was flooded with memories of San Gabriel and Irwindale and the easy living as a kid living on Vanderwell, Valinda (La Puente) California. Thanks again to Les and Gary, without them I would probably would never have seen that beautiful Hot Rod again. Here are some of the photos .

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Great news, Mark. Glad that worked out.

28. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Phil, sorry to not mention you in the process of finding this car. You were a great help....I owe you and everyone else connected. If I can help anyone with anything (Welding's my speciality) give me a PM...Mark

29. 296ardun

296ardun

Good to hear from you too, Les, will try to call.

Les mentions Don "step-and-a-half" Wilson, my former partner in "Panic," the first version which Les built....when I bailed out on Don, Tom Topping first took my place, and later Gary Hazen...This is the only picture I can find of Don after "Panic" won a big fuel altered meet, he is the guy with glasses helping to hold the trophy...Sorry he has died, had polio as a child and never let the consequences slow him down.
    [​IMG]

30. Cortney

Cortney

Damn Mark! You wer'nt kidd'n!!! That thing is BAD ASS!!!!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!! Great story too!! Now I see why my Dad always wanted a '34!!!