Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I think Little Skeet tied, but I could never see them!

Outback likes this.
  2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Here is the style of 20230822_214425.jpg 20230822_214448.jpg carburetor that my friend bolted to the flipped over intake manifold.

Dan Morrison, tractorguy and Six Ball like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think that ia what was on the 216 sixes. Probably a dozen of them are headed to the scrapper from my friend's estate leftovers. :(

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Actually, the bolt pattern is smaller than the 216 carb. It was factory issue on the flathead four powered Jeeps.

Six Ball, Dan Morrison and tractorguy like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good I don't feel so bad. :D

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

GG2, Sorry to be taking so long on getting the measurements. I got the right sill and attached pieces out today and started but got confused and quit before I got pissed & broke something. I'll try again tomorrow and when I get it I'll post it on my build thread so we (I) can find it later and keep it all in one place. The outside of R6 has a slight curve/taper in the outside-body side. Where it meets at the back with R3 they aren't the same width and R3 is wider than R6 in in the front. R5 is not parallel with R1 & R2. The Rabbit for the truck floorboards is slightly narrower in the rear. I couldn't tell if what I was measuring was the 1926 shape or what 97 years had done to it. Anyway I'll put this and the measurements on the build thread. I may have to measure both sides and compare.

7. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Thanks Six Ball! Take your time, I'm still swamping out the shop! It is a lot worse than two years ago, but making headway. My big push is to get that tractor out of there before fall. Get the 26 chassis in! Will I make it ? I need to get my old cattle prod and have my wife use it on me if I don't make it! (She would love that!)
    Have Fun Be Safe!

Outback, Dan Morrison and Six Ball like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Post it tomorrow on the build thread. I blew it today.

9. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

Where is the build thread?

10. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

11. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

Thanks, been spending some time in the build thread, very informative.

Six Ball and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  12. CRAIG ADAMS

CRAIG ADAMS

hilman4.jpg hillman 1.jpg hilman3.jpg Has anyone measured up an English Hillman Minx Crank?

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  13. tractorguy

tractorguy

Just a heads up to everyone. I had posted previously that I was going to be selling my 1927 1928 Chevrolet speedster project and LOTS of parts due to my recent cancer diagnosis. I have just listed the entire package on the Parts For Sale section. I am asking $2800 for everything I have including lots of NOS engine stuff and a completely rebuilt head assembly never installed. I forgot to mention in the ad, that I could haul everything within a reasonable distance for a fee. Also, we have a loader tractor, forklift and pallets available to help with loading for the buyer.
    Allan
    262-844-1557

Outback likes this.
  14. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I'm a little past 'reasonable distance', but looked at your 'stash'. Some very good looking stuff!
    I would much rather hear that your cancer is in remission and that you were starting to build that speedster!
    We still have you in our prayers!

By the way, your rolling chassis is an early 26. Which is actually better because the engine and trans set lower in the frame!
    Good luck with everything and hope to hear about that remission soon!

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What GG2 said! I wish I could have hat that chassis to start with rather than gathering mismatched pieces. You definitely have the stuff for a great build.

16. tractorguy

tractorguy

Grumpy Gaby......be careful.....our daughter keeps wanting a road trip out to Portland with our grandson to relive some of the road trips I did with her mother before she died !!
    Thanks for the update on the 1926 vs. 1927. I updated the Craigslist ad, but haven't been able to do it on here yet. Thanks again for the good wishes on remission.

Outback and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  17. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

I have been looking at my project. I need to figure a way around all the body woodwork. If I build all that wood, I am afraid it will never be finished. Sorry just thinking out loud.

Six Ball likes this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I can see how you could come by those thoughts. :rolleyes:

Dan Morrison and Outback like this.
  19. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

Does anyone sell 25-26 open car wood kits?

Six Ball likes this.
  20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'm not reading all the posts(again) to find out if this's been suggested already, if it has, I'll delete it for redundancy.
    Yah know... if accurate measurements can be had, the "wood" could be 3d printed. No more rot, doesn't hold water, holds tacks, etc. If not quite strong enuf all by its' lonesome, the pieces could be done in such a way as to allow a metal center(curved rod ~ 1/4->3/8") encapsulated into the center of each "billet" . Easier said than done, of course, but duplicates would be fairy easy - & how many years are similar enough to cross, esp w/mild alterations(read some sanding)?
    Marcus...

Six Ball likes this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Short answer, NO. The open car bodies were not made by Fisher like the closed cars. There are oe were some guys that made kits for 'the late 20s and later but I think they are gone now.
    GG2 & I are working on good measurements & pictures for our '26s. He has a '25 also. There is nothing that has to be bent just cuts & some shaping on the edges. I have a cabinetmaker friend with a CNC machine who could produce kits or individual pieces if he had good measurements. He is interested. That is a ways off right now. As you know we are posting that stuff on my build thread. (below) Bunch of other crap there too. :D

Outback likes this.
  22. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

Yes, I was looking at the build thread, I am impressed. As I am building a speedster, I have some flexibility in how I build it but I like the idea of using the wood substructure like the factory open bodies have. I don't like the idea of just using square steel tubing to replace the wood. I am ok with metal but haven't done much with wood. I need to study how period speedster bodies were made.

Six Ball and Outback like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think if you study the metal parts and the pictures on the build thread you could come up with something good. Once you hear a well built Chevy door close you'll be sold. It's the difference between a wood/canvas canoe & an aluminum canoe early morning on a mountain lake. The fish can tell the difference too. :eek:

Dan Morrison and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 6-ball;
    Yup, following that thread, too. Since they started. :) . If I can get my camera to work correctly, & then get a pic to you, or here, I've got a ~24 chev frame(or so I was told) I'd like you to ID, if you can. Was slated for a speedster project. Prior to me getting it, was used as double clothsline pole. A small part of the frame needs repair, + a few other brackets/etc.
    Marcus...

Six Ball likes this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think '24 was the last of the 490 frames. Those were sort of box like with quarter elliptic springs. They make great looking speedster/racer/specials. I keep loosing photos off of my computer. I had some good ones of one if those frames. But here are some cars. They also had the prettiest of the Chevy radiator shells. I think the '24 roadster bodies are a lot like the '25-'26 but maybe they had the older narrow cowl. That had some cool wood.
    490.5a.jpg 4842840335f230c623c2136cb07aa16a.jpg

26. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Frame doesn't look like qtr ellipticals, has std-type leaf spring perches. Must be 25->? I think it has all the crossmembers. Not sure when I'll get pics again.
    Marcus...

grumpy gaby 2 likes this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When you can get them GG2 will tell you exactly what it is. He knows this stuff. As much as these things look alike to me there are lots if subtle differences. I think my frame is a '25. It had the back cut off at the end of the body & the front crossmember removed when I got it. I have two front members that fit but the rivet holes don't match up. One easy clue is the '25 has a narrower front stamped crossmember and separate a cast or forged motor mount cross bar behind it.

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

OK, thanks. Been reading GG2 alot, too. :) m .
    Marcus...

29. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

Drove about an hour today to get some 19 inch Chevy wires. The gentleman advertised 4 but thought he had another, while we were poking around the barn I was admiring his collection of old cars and under a chassis was a honeycomb radiator with suspiciously small inlet and outlet. It was a 1926 Chevy radiator, which is on my list of needed items, so I got that in the deal. I am more pleased about the radiator than the wheels. It looks pretty good, someone bothered to plug the inlet, outlet and top, so I am betting it is good. Either way I don't have much invested. I traded a set of Hudson/Essex headlights and a headlight bar for the wheels and radiator. Didn't have much in the headlights and they were too big for the speedster. Three of the wheels are pretty nice. I probably need to find a couple more.

Attached Files:

RMR&C, Six Ball and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  30. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

A honeycomb radiator on your speedster will really make it a standout!

Six Ball and Dan Morrison like this.