Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Thanks for the compliments guys!

I'd like to clairify that I didn't rattle can the entire exterior of the truck. I did some exterior paint patches, mostly on the fenders, bed sides, grill header and grill apron. I still need to blend in a patch on the left rear fender. All the paint that was applied, was out of a spray can.

Got the wheels / tires cleaned up and installed.
    I like the contrast the dark blue wheels provide.

Also like the 1" extra wheel width in the back. Gives it more of a late 1950's hot rod flavor instead of looking bone stock. The 235 rear tires gave about an inch of 'rubber rake'. It was sitting nearly level with 4 matching tires.

2011 09 21 a.JPG 2011 09 21 d.JPG 2011 09 21 j.JPG

But...
    I liked the 1946 Super Deluxe hubcaps way better than these 1955 car caps. Too bad the 46's won't fit the later model wheels.
    2011 09 21 w.JPG

Here's a comparison photo.
    Which wheel setup do you guys like best?
    [​IMG]

Was fightin' with the sunset for the pictures.
    Maybe I'll get some in the daylight tomorrow.

So, it looks like I'm picking up my next project a week from this weekend. I went to have a look at it last Saturday.

The guy I'm getting it from bought it about 20 years ago but he parked it and never used it.

It's a.....
    *drum roll please*

10' Siesta camp trailer.

[​IMG]

The one pictured isn't the one I'm getting but almost like it.
    (My camera batteries were dead)

Just imagine black stripes instead of red stripes and some added green moss and fir tree needles. Oh, and a couple flat tires. I think it takes a 4 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern wheel like a 60's Ford Falcon.

Trailer is actually in decent shape and wasn't used much. Still has the original seat cushions, curtains, table, etc in good condition. Oven looks like new, icebox is nice. Trailer is outfitted with camping gear from the 1960's. Mrs. Lowkat (Lisa) spotted a 1950's mixing bowl inside that matches her Grandma's set she has at home.

HA HA!
    Check out this option........
    No need to get outta bed.
    Just roll over and have good aim!
    [​IMG]

I'll add some retrival pictures after the Siesta gets home.
    It's gonna' look cool behind the F1.

[​IMG]

Mrs. Lowkat is pretty excited to get started on fixing it up. We did a Tiki themed class C motorhome about 20 years ago and she had a blast.

This one will be traditional of course.

~Mark

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

That'll be interesting!

looking good... I like the body color wheels with those rounded caps.

-W

3. Really like how your build is going. Makes me anxious to start on my '48 ................. as soon as I finish my current project.

4. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Nice job, makes me want to start on my 1951 F1.......

5. shadams

shadams

Aww man, a couple pics arent showing up for me, including the one with the blue wheels. I dying here man!!! Anyway, looks kick ass!!

6. sololobo

sololobo

Mr. and Mrs. lowcat, this is real budget smart building, love the interior, mirrors, bumpers, oh hell I love it all. You kids are what utilizing and recycling parts and getting 10+ results is about. My fave build thread to date. Gold stars around!! ~sololobo~

7. I'm really enjoying this thread. It's a little bit of Deja Vu. I had a cream colored 51 in the 70's. I sold it to build a roadster, big mistake.
    Nice work.

Attached Files:

8. OK, got the "blue wheels" pictures fixed.

9. And I thought I had the only cream colored F1 around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't feel bad. I had a pretty decent 1951 F1 before the '48 but got caught up in the rat rod craze and ruined it.

0045 09 MAR 09 SMALL.JPG

101_3144 SMALL.JPG

Then I found the HAMB and traded the '51 rat for a the Model A seen in the background. Shortly after trading for the A the 1948's became available so I decided to do the easier project first.

101_3083.JPG

10. 2011 09 22 24.JPG

Here's an 'artsy' shot from last night.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  11. cederholm

cederholm

Nice find with the camper. Will rattle can the camper accents to match the F1?

~ Carl

12. shadams

shadams

Love the blue wheels, esp with the interior....

13. Angry Guy

Angry Guy

very nice truck. Hope to see it in person sometime.

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

You are awesome and the build is an inspiration.
    The trailer will be a hoot also. I like the builds on campers. I picked up a 60 Alumalite that will be done first, then the 57 country sedan. The wife is getting into it too.

15. Need to pressure wash it before I decide what to do. But yea, probably paint the accents to match the truck. Might be time to break out my real spray gun if the whole thing needs paint.

Mrs. LowKat saw a polished canned ham trailer and she thinks that would look great. Now, if I can just get her to do the stripping and polishing, I'll maintain it.

I'm outside Oregon City, near Beavercreek.
    503-657-8994, leave a message.
    Usually out in the garage during the evening, rockin' and wrenchin'

If you can get Mrs. czuch involved, then you have it made.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  16. I like both wheel and tire combos..How come the 46 caps won't fit the blue wheels? and would there be a way to modify them to fit?

17. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

I like the blue wheels.

I was thinking about that very thing for my '53.

18. The 53-56 wheels ('46 caps) have inside 'nubs' for the caps to hang onto and the caps have a skirt extension that fits into the wheel.
    [​IMG]

On the 57-64 (blue) wheels, the caps grab onto the outside portion of the wheel center
    [​IMG]

Pics courtesy of wheelkid from his wheel ID post.
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115542

19. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

First off, it's getting closer and closer and I just LOVE IT! Secondly, I think the 46 hubs look better. I just don't think full ones (like the 55) look that great on a truck, no offense).

And I hope you get that camper, That would be so awesome to tow it behind your pickup!!!

Can't Wait!

20. I see!

21. does the bolt patern (both cars and trucks)are the same from 48 to 64 ?

22. After work today, I decide to take the pickup out for a 15 mile loop trip so we could build more trust between us. This is the first trip that's not just around the block since I put the motor back in.

I spot a farmer's gravel road that looks like a great photo opportunity. That way you guys can see this thing actually drives and isn't getting pushed in and out of the garage for poser driveway shots.

2011 09 23 d SMALL.JPG

I get a few photos, jump back in the truck and start to head for home. I'm just starting to move and hear a hissing sound. Maybe the radiator?

Stop the truck to investigate. Hissing is coming from the 3/8" X 3" bolt sticking out of the sidewall of my front tire. Tire is gonna be junk.
    2011 09 23 c SMALL.JPG

I start hauling ass home since I have no jack or lug wrench. (did have a spare) I drive it a mile to the little town that's about 3 miles from my house and by then the tire is flat.

Start walking home and make it about 1/2 mile when my across the street neighbor stops and gives me a ride home for tools and a ride back to the truck. (thanks Shelly!!)

Gonna go the the wrecking yard tomorrow and look for another pair of front tires. Damn, I just did this tire shit a coupla' days ago.....

2011 09 23 e SMALL BW.jpg

Check out the wheelkid's info:
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115542

But to sum it up, Ford pickups pretty much used the same wheels as the cars until 1948 then the cars changed to the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. The pickups didn't change and stayed with the 5 on 5.5 pattern.

23. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

You're truck looks great!!! Just sat here and read through all 14 pages while at work haha. I vote on the Almond wheels. I thought I would like the blue better until I saw the picture.

24. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

old trucks are fun.

:D

-W

25. I'm wondering if this type of wheel may have been used even later. My '63 F-100 had these wheels and AFAIK they were original to the truck.

26. Yea, wheelkid says 53-64 and I pulled one of mine off of a 59.

I don't know crap about Fords, still learning.

27. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Wow! What a great budget build. My hats off to you sir.

28. Original57

Original57

Fantastic photo Lowkat!!!

[​IMG]

29. Picked up my Winter canned ham project today.
    10 foot 1961 Siesta trailer, I'll tow with the F1.
    2012 10 02 Fiesta 009 small.JPG

Guy in bib overalls (Bear) is who I got it from.
    2012 10 02 Fiesta 006 small.JPG

Traded a 1970's Camaro 3:73 10 bolt axle + install into his 1970 Nova for it.
    Had to pull out Bear's other utility trailer first.
    2012 10 02 Fiesta 003.JPG

Both of them were right up against the garage and naturally all the tires were flat.
    2012 10 02 Fiesta 002.JPG

It has a little water damage inside but in good overall condition. No dents on the exterior and has original everything.

I cleaned up the outside some but it was too dark for pictures. I'll post some 'clean' photos tomorrow.
    2012 10 02 Fiesta 008 small.JPG

30. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Excellent. Please post progress, would love to see both projects united.