Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 Timing Marks help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flux capacitor, Apr 18, 2024.

1. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I’ve got the 53 babbit 235 down to a timing issue & what flywheel mark is TDC to stab distributor in when pointing rotor to #1 on cap ? The Flywheel has a triangle & a bb . I had read wrongfully I think that the triangle is tdc but after it not running to great I have determined the bb . Is this correct? It’s an early AD series flywheel out of a 235 truck to accommodate a larger nose cone. Thanks guys ! Flux

2. Budget36

Budget36

The Motors manual I had said set the timing with the BB mark when engine idling (I think like 450-500 RPM) then drive vehicle, low speed in high gear, accelerate. If no ping, keep advancing until ping, then back off.
    Been a “few” years, but that’s what I recall.

Edit: thinking back my 235 I may have done it with triangle mark , been a bit. But my best guess is either should let the engine start, then adjust from there.

flux capacitor likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

they had a few different varieties of marks on the flywheel, as the timing spec changed from year to year and different applications. But generally the ball is where the timing is set, and if it's marked UC with a line, that is TDC, and if it has a triangle, that has something to do with the cam timing?

post a picture of the marks on your flywheel.

winduptoy and flux capacitor like this.
  4. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Thanks you

Budget36 likes this.

5. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Thank you for your knowledge ! , you should charge a fee , lol

winduptoy likes this.
  6. OR, be sure the number 1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke (exhaust valve closed and intake valve just closed also). Then install distributor with the rotor pointing to the number 1 terminal on the distributor cap.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    flux capacitor and Budget36 like this.
  7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

IMG_0427.jpeg IMG_0425.jpeg

8. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

At first held finger over #1 spark plug hole & it poofed it out & next I ran it to triangle & stabbed it & i’m thinking the marks are 20 degrees apart “bb & triangle” & when the bb is lined up with needle , as I just now did my rotor is barely to the beginning of #1 on dist mark but looks ok , still nice It’s now inline with BB & piston is at top of deck visually & i’m going to see if moving the distributor gear a tooth either way puts it way off the #1 terminal, I looked at a 58 235 I’ve got & it’s got same position of cap at 1 & firing order exactly as the 53 I’m messing so cap & wires correspond as should. The “ octane setting on advance “ is currently about 6-8 degrees advance as that’s where I timed bb to when triangle was on pointer , ran but a little off . I’ll get it & appreciate you guys feedback .

9. squirrel

squirrel

I think flywheel, the ball is 2 degrees after top dead center, and the line before UC is TDC.

10. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

The BB is TDC but not where you want to set your timing. It is a reference and will get you close enough to start it. You probably want a good amount of initial advance. If I remember correctly I have about 25 degrees at idle full vacuum advance as I run manifold vacuum to the distributor. I am running dual carbs split manifold dual exhaust. These engines will take a bit of initial advance with good gas.

11. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

8B3434F5-FB3C-467E-B70D-FD5C158EB70C.jpeg D391B933-198B-400B-8F70-6F473A15DCF8.jpeg FB543EB5-2355-4923-8FB1-EFF18C04D799.jpeg These various flywheels show 2 degrees after, 5 degrees before, and a circle for TDC with no bearing

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Pull the valve cover turn the engine and watch the exhaust valve on # 6 as it closes and the intake just starts to open then stop you are very close to TDC #1 with in 5 degrees look for timing marks.. If no marks you may have mis matched parts so go ahead and install distributor on #1 I'll bet she starts

flux capacitor likes this.
  13. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

From Motors Manual:
    123.jpg 456.jpg

flux capacitor and Budget36 like this.