Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features '29 Ford STEELBACK Build & The Chris Piscitelli Sketch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Feb 24, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really like the look of the 1928 forged tail light brackets, Ford only offered the one on the left. He only offered one on the right on right hand drive cars built for overseas sales. Very rare to see two side by side. Bob DSCF5179.JPG

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Steelback body will move to the basement for the winter, its nice and warm there, I want to get the cowl fitted. Next step after that is getting my '32 rails mocked up and a Steadfast kickup subrail kit ordered. Merry Christmas! Bob DSCF6037.JPG

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

No real progress on any of the projects but it was a special day. My soon to be 5 grandson came over and we went to clean up the mess from cutting up firewood in the basement. He spotted a large flat rate box from the post office and asked if he could have it, sure. We started going through a storage tub that had all kinds of crap in it, carpentry tools, mechanic stuff and just plain odds and ends. He spotted a chalk box and asked what it was, I showed him how to snap a line, and he thought that was neat. He also asked if he could have it, sure. This went on for a good 20-30 minutes, and he left with a full box of prized stuff to put in his basement next door. He has his own workbench and a great imagination, tools and stuff to build things with, and my basement is one box cleaner. Bob

kiwijeff, Tman, clunker and 2 others like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF6950.JPG No progress on the Steelback, but I found a photo of Uncle Carl working on his A some time in the 1930's. He went through Hell in the Pacific during WWII. Bob

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

As soon as I can move some stuff out of the way the shell goes in the basement. I'm going to put off getting it blasted, and put that money into a Steadfast '32 frame sub rail kickup kit. Whole thing is a bit shaky, but the plywood bracing works well. Bob DSCF7029.JPG

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF7139.JPG Its been a year and ten months since the shell and cowl were this close together. Having it in the basement will allow me to fit the two together. Basement cleanup went well even if I'm storing stuff inside the shell. Bob DSCF7137.JPG

7. Liking all that clear floor space and OH....I like the rear seat.:rolleyes::cool: JW

loudbang likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

That was Aunt Helens, it is a rocker, a spring loaded one. I make the mistake of leaving it outside and it got rained on and messed up the finish. It had a paper makers tag that fell off and I put some were safe. Sure would be nice to ID it so I know what I'm selling. Bob

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Today was a good day, cut some stuff off and fitted the '29 cowl to the '31 Slantback shell. I have to find the under windshield trim piece so I can decide what gets cut to allow the cowl to come up another inch. Glad I kept the '29 door post assembly. Bob DSCF7231.JPG DSCF7232.JPG DSCF7233.JPG DSCF7234.JPG

10. Damn Bob, that's progress..........COOL.:cool::cool: JW

loudbang likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, It was a good day, and I found the Slant Window under windshield trim piece about a half hour ago. It will take some cutting and fitting from that 28-29 door post windshield section to get the things to mate nicely. The cowl section wraps around the door posts, and will be spot welded once the final fit is made. I'm using parts from three different cowls, taking my time to measure twice and cut once. Bob

59rambler, loudbang, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  12. That's the way, I cut something twice and it was still too short.:eek::rolleyes: JW

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

It took three hours to drill out all the rivets and cut the factory welds, but the 1929 Briggs cowl cross rail is free! Had to cut off four inches from the bottom of the outside sheet metal to gain access to the rivets. This turned out to a bonus since it gives the exact shape I need to connect things once the cowl is fixed in place. Bob DSCF7248.JPG DSCF7254.JPG

loudbang and kiwijeff like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Spent some time on things this evening, that makes three days in a row. I think I know were the cuts will get made to make the cross bar fit, got the remains or the Murray tin removed. Need to grind off the bits of the spot welds. No sense of waking the Chiwawa, I can do it first thing tomorrow morning. Bob DSCF7267.JPG DSCF7269.JPG

15. Go Bob!!:cool::D JW

loudbang likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you need my unwanted door posts check the classified section. Bob DSCF7307.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is the first Briggs '29 Fordor cowl cross rail I've ever had, or seen for that matter. Lot easier to makes the cuts in the 3/4 plywood pattern, and make the mistakes there. Five days in a row and I've done something on the project. Might have all the cowl cuts and things fitted by Sunday. Bob DSCF7318.JPG

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  18. You may get to change you signature as you may just finish this, I like the sound of that. Go Bob.:cool::cool::D JW

loudbang likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

The '29 cowl now fits on the '31 Slant Window shell! I really can't tell you what got cut or when, it was one of those real slow study things first measure twice cut once deals, belt moldings will mate up just fine. Giant step forward but two more back since I can't weld anything until the shell is blasted and cowl is in bare steel. I wind up with a full extra inch of leg room with this cowl swap. Next step is mocking up my '32 rails, selling enough unwanted things to fund the Steadfast kick up kit, then fit the '29 Steelback section. Bob DSCF7337.JPG

20. Like it. :cool::D JW

loudbang likes this.
  21. I guess I'm not following why the cowl swap. But I'm real happy to see you getting stuff done. Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

It all started with the back section of a '29 Fordor, and I started to collect all the missing tin for it. These bodies are all built around a wood frame, after Chris drew the sketch with the slanted windshield I got the smart idea to find a '31 Slant Window body that is all steel and swap the '29 front & rear onto the inner shell. I'll save about $3,000 in wood work and five years of my life. :)Bob

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

24. loudbang

loudbang

Slant is better looking

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

There may be something to this work on your project a little bit every night, nine days in a row now. Classic Wood header is in for a test fit (perfect), and the '29 visor is set in place, I really like the look. Got to get the '32 rails mocked up next. Bob DSCF7353.JPG DSCF7352.JPG

slv63, kiwijeff, Jimmy B and 5 others like this.
  26. Nine days, wish I could say that. Its cool seeing your vision take shape, its going to be very special indeed. :cool::cool::D JW

loudbang likes this.
  27. that looks great Bob.

loudbang likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

It is a lot of fun seeing progress, lots of little 1-2 hour projects are turning up, like the toe board extension pieces. If I keep making these little needed pieces, get them blasted and in primer there will be an assembly day some day. Have to show the Inspector the project this afternoon. Bob

29. We will need a pic of the Inspector as he will have grown up a tad since last seen. JW

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've worked on the '29 for 14 days in a row now, doing something even a 15-20 minute evening. These '32 rails will go under the '30 Roadster someday but I need to mock them up so I know were the Steadfast kickups will go. Starting in midair the pieces of oak flooring have holes that match the factory blueprint locations. Bob DSCF7424.JPG