Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36-taildragger.....Made in Sweden

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 17, 2013.

1. redoxide

redoxide

Inspiration indeed, :)

2. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kenneth, you never cease to amaze me. Your metal work and imagination are incredible!
    Sometime back I had a conversation on HAMB about lowering headlights. It was either with you or Bear (double duty 36 coupe). Now you have taken it to a whole new level. By removing the headlight support and horn grills you've been able to tuck those Chevy truck nacelles way down into the valley between the grill and the fender blisters. My concern for you though is that the headlight support was also the major support for the fender's weight. Without that support, the weight of the fender relies on adjoining sheet metal that is connected to the frame and the the sheetmetal grill surround that will be attached to the upper core support. I hope you have plans to refit the headlight stands to the underside of the fender and nacelle. I visualize great stress and vibration at the attachment points from roadshocks caused by pot holes and other roadway irregularities without the support the stands can provide.
    I was happy to see a new posting on your 36's progress. Please keep us updated. The Lasalle grill will be as spectacular as the rest of the car has become.
    Best regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Thanks for concerning KB but you don´t have to worry.The headlamps stands are still there a bit modified though. And for additional support to the fender I will fabricate rods from the frame out to the bottom of the fender. One attached to the front tip of the fender and one behind the wheel I´m well aware of the problems with stress cracks on these fenders and hopefully I can come around them with these supports.

4. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Nice work!
    Any chance you have seen my old 1932 Ford Vicky around? I sold it to a guy in England and he said it later went to Sweden. It has a Lt1 , Vette rear and 700r trans, Stock looking black glass car.
    Bobo

5. Thanks Bobo. No I can´t remember seeing such a Vicky.

6. Hey Kenneth,
    I just went through this hole thread. I really like what you are doing on this car. I'm a SoCal boy and iv been into kustoms for ever and the 36 3 window is the highest best looking kustoms ever. You are lucky to have found one. Everything you are doing is going to produce one hell of a kustom. And from Sweden! It's really cool to see guys all around the world build cars like this. You are one of the few that understand what a kustom car is without living in the U.S. If I ever have the chance to find a 3. Window 36 I would make one hell of a kustom and one thing I have always wanted to do was to take a Lasalle grill and extend the grill bars around and into the same same as the stock 36 grill. So insted of the bars going up and down they would be side to side. But have the same round shape as the lasalle. On paper it looks crazy. I would also use 36 Buick front fenders. But that's my dream so let's get back to yours. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the finished car. Take care and get to work!:D

chryslerfan55 and Outback like this.
  7. How the hell did I miss this build thread. Its amazing. keep the updates coming.

8. Thanks for all the kind words. I can see what you´re talking about and it would be cool. One 36 front end I really love is the one George DuVall made on the SoCalif Plating Company Pheaton. I really would love to build a clone of that car.
    CCC-socalif-plating-truck-02.jpg
    Thanks and stay tuned.

9. Well look here. It´s not a cyclope anymore

[​IMG]
    When I mocked up the hood and grill I stepped back to get a good look at it and then I noticed there was something that looked wrong. The angle of the grill and the angle of the front part of the hoodside wasn´t the same. Think the only way to fix it is to reshape the hoodside to follow the grill. Tilt the grill any more will look wrong in my eyes.

[​IMG]

10. Nothing wrong with your eyes Kenneth! After all you've done, the hood sides should present no big problem at all. As everyone has said to you many times: ..great work and a real inspiration - thanks.

Dave

11. This build is exactly what i´d build if i had a 36 3w. So great!

12. Thanks Dave and James. Here´s the modified hood side P1030561.JPG

13. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

been awhile since i've looked in on your magic ....... very nice mr. wizard!

14. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Modified hood looks great. Very nice touch.

15. Thank you very much Ron. Been a while since I updated too.

Thanks.

16. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Anymore progress on the push buttons for the doors? I like to do something similar just don't have the know how. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. No I haven´t done anymore to them but I think I will go for a switch behind the button which will activate a solenoid to opend the latch. Think it´s the only way because there´s no room in the door for any mechanical device. Bear claw latches is an option but I will try the other way first

18. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

So cool, watching with interest!

20. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

21. Some more progress. Have done some work on the grill surround. Made a frame for the grill and mocked it up in the right location holding it in place with some round bars. Rolled a plate to cover the gap . P1030705.JPG P1030737.JPG P1030740.JPG

22. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Kenneth, this thread is gospel for traditional customs and metal shaping. Thank you for providing such detail in documenting your build. I will be referencing this thread for inspiration for years to come!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and telekenfun like this.
  23. Pufff

Pufff

Just ran across this thread tonight. Good taste, and nice work. Reminds me of Harry Westergard, and Spence Murry's work. Anxious to see it done.
    Zane.

24. Appriciate the kind words. Thanks.Got the other side done and working on the bottom part.
    IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0086.JPG

25. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

26. lakepipes

lakepipes
    from australia

fantastic work, any updates available?

27. j hansen

j hansen

I think he is looking for inspiration. Skärmavbild 2017-07-20 kl. 11.03.49.png

28. Haha. You got me there. Yes I was looking at the grillbar. Surching ideas for the 50 Merc I´m working on.

29. Just to let you know that I´m still alive I post some progress. Not very much but still progress. Got the bottom part of the grill surround done and got the car back on the floor to see how it all looks from different angles and distance. Think I´m quite pleased with it.Now it´s time to do the front part of the hood to make it blend in and flow with the grill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

Great seeing the update pictures, Kenneth. A perfect profile that will never be out dated. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Nice shop too!