Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 37 ford truck nose on a 33 coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33highboy, Mar 13, 2017.

1. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the way this builder narrowed the shell a few inches.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kiwi Kev, that grille looks as if it could have been built by YOU !

Mild Mitch and Joel W like this.
  4. I've never really noticed before the two crank holes in the Fordson grille. The engine (all 25 or so HP of it) was offset to the left hand (passengers side), taking up a good chunk of the passenger footwell, so that explains the hole on that side. I don't know whether they were ever produced in left hand drive - I can't imagine much demand for them in the U.S. market :eek:, so maybe the second hole was put there for symmetry.

I believe that they shared the same sized banjo centre as the US V8s but in a ridiculously low ratio. I had one as my first 'car' and the thing was wrung out at 30 mph!:rolleyes:

Bear:)

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Note the [red] orange 3 w has curved leading edges on the hoodsides,
    '33 - '34 does not, the grill's trailing edge is highly modified to match the modded hoodsides...
    The lower 1/3 of the grill is much deeper than the britt....
    The britt shell seems to end closer to the grill insert's lower trim than the yank '37...
    ... My vote is 1937 Ford truck + some loving care...

6. oh well, this is Original for sure. Good colours to see the outline too. 9085621876_b3db8ae3f1.jpg fordson-e83w.jpg

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

ok guys, now we have to find one for my project, any ideas???

8. alchemy

alchemy

A regular old USA 37 truck grille is hard enough to find. Now you want a rare grille from across the other side of the world? :eek:

9. Besty34

Besty34

[​IMG]
    Here's my old one with the English grill it wasn't hard to fit, I changed the bottom because it was missing

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29EHV8, hfh, kidcampbell71 and 6 others like this.
  10. Listening !

Yeah, what's the problem ?

11. It looks like a bad picture of Tom Branch's roadster which is really a great looking car actually.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  12. A 37 dodge car grille is kinda similar to the red and white car's grille. I'll have to find a photo of one.

13. Hmmmm..nope. Kinda similar but different.This is a '38 38DodgeD8coupe2.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

And a 37. Jack E/NJ 37dodge.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. SimonSez

SimonSez

They were probably produced LHD for Europe.

The front axles on the Fordson is interesting as well - they take Model A/V8 size kingpins, but are narrower than a Model A axle.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow! Masterpiece. Remember the rumpus the nose on the "Confederate Coupe" caused on here? Theres another good one to look at.

EDIT: Oooops! I see Vicky has that covered! Fordson grill shell, wow, I can still occasionally learn something on here other than how to remove latex house paint from my "patina".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    The37Kid likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

HOLY CRAP! Never seen one of those before. That is VERY slick!

18. flyin-t

flyin-t

That's a great look, Jack Morgan did it in the 40s.
    fullsizeoutput_1c91.jpeg

alfin32, Jet96, kidcampbell71 and 7 others like this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yes, its channeled not "swept". "Swept" is what happens to the garbage around my house.:rolleyes:

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

now that I know about these, I want one too! I want to cut about 6" out of one, and put it on the front of a T!

The37Kid likes this.
  21. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

'halibrandsteve' - What's with the broken roadster beside this?

'31Vicky with a hemi’ - Shhhh! It's the style and he paid extra for it to look like that. If you try to point out it looks bad they will call you a hater.

The stance on Tom's roadster says Pure Hot Rod. If you guys can't see that, all your taste must be in your mouths.

TomBranch32_web.jpg 32ford-branch18.jpg

22. There's different tastes for everyone.
    Stance needs to be appreciated from all sides, 360 degrees around the vehicle. How about a rear shot , you know with the rear wheels and tire's sticking out from the car in a dumboesqe fashion.

I'm not bagging on tom's roadster or singling it out in anyway. There's 1000s of cars set up exactly like this one and I feel the same way about every single one them.

This particular view of the 360 stance where the wheel house radius sticks dead into the tire leaves a particularly peculiar taste in my mouth. Sorta like puke. The dumbo view is another taste all together. I realize this may taste like sweet cream to some obviously but I don't like it.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  23. Baldies

Baldies

I just assumed he had a VW engine and trans axle in it. My VW looked like that when I filled it with kids and beat the loop. [ hope I don't have to explain; "beat the loop"]

24. Well, I personally don't care for the extreme, east-coast channeled style - for me, a fenderless car needs to be up on top of the rails, especially a '32 as it seems a waste to hide such a beautiful frame; the rear tire should be centered in and nicely fill the fender opening so that the fender reveal follows the circumference of the tire. I was moreso commenting on how "broken" it looks - must be the camera angle, possibly somewhat of a fisheye effect or something - it looks like the rear tire is simply leaned up against the side of the quarter and not parallel to the side of the body.

Sorry for taking this thread about a very cool grille application off track...

Steve

25. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad I've been end grilled on grilles...built one years ago 2000 to be exact for my chopped 36 Buick, was in good guys gazette....love custom grilles...

26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Toms car looks really good in person on all angles I don't think it photographs as well as it really looks, I don't really care for the stude caps and www , but with the steelies and black walls or the halibrands the car is a home run...

On the flip side some cars photograph well and look like shit in person... It's like internet dating !

28. anyone ever try to use a Lincoln grille? excuse my poor photoshop hack

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb, hfh, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  29. Big car radiator shrouds and grilles are basically too, well, big and bulky to work on a small car. Like the 37 truck shell, they need narrowing etc. to fit the scale. Exceptions are things like the LaSalles in a 36 Ford because the part that's used is a skinny grille to begin with.