Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Chevy Torque Tube...leaks, leaks, leaks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jtaoj0, Apr 26, 2024.

1. jtaoj0

jtaoj0

Hi all,

I am replacing seals on the trans side of my torque tube. I have it all apart, doing an Okie tub and ball seals. The rear end looks to have leaky gaskets. I have been studying the service manual and searching for info on the rear side of the torque tube as it attaches to the differential. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the full 3rd member will need to come out to do the gasket, much like a ford 9", all with the torque tube still attached? I was hoping that if I pulled the front bolts, the TT would just slide up, but the more I research, the more it looks like the full 3rd member will need to come out...not what I was hoping. It seems like I need to take care of the gasket now while the front is disconnected (trans end)...does anyone have advice? Am I thinking through this correctly?

Thanks! jj

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pull the cover off rear. Pull lock bolt out of differential, remove square block holding axle & spider gears. Pull horseshoe clips, slide axles out, remove torque tube & renew the gasket ... good idea to do axle seals while apart.

3. jtaoj0

jtaoj0

Thanks 302GMC. Will the full 3rd member come out with the torque tube? I mostly followed the description. I figured I would have to pull the cover, c clips, then axles. It sounds like there is a lock bolt and then the square block...I haven't seen that before but can figure it out. I am then guessing unbolt the torque tube from the housing, then pull it all forward, including the thrid member. Thanks!

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Perfect ! You got it !