Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford Deluxe Coupe running boards

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Michael Miller Sr, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Hey everyone, hope all is well. I just purchased my first 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe and am really excited. The car has been brought back to original looks but everything else is not original. The car has smooth , painted running boards that are in excellent shape but I really would love to have the vulacanized rubber boards. Everyone out there has the rubber to glue on and after reading in HAMB, it seems the vulcanized are the best way to go. I found a set of the Bob Drake boards but the owner is asking $4,500.00 for the pair ! That's three times the cost they were sold for. So, my question, and your thoughts, is are they worth that much money? I understand supply and demand, there is a point where the benefit vs the cost is not worth it. Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. i went a little beyond introduction, so any advice on how to move the post to somewhere more appropriate is appreciated.

3. Did you check to see if Drake or Carpenter still have some in stock? Welcome to the HAMB......Don.

Michael Miller Sr likes this.

4. yes I checked Drake first and they directed me to other places that stocked the Drake boards and they were all sold out. I searched the internet and only the rubber is available. Most places are selling the rubber for around $350 but one place, Steel Rubber Products, has them for $650. Not sure why the big price difference. One place, I'd rather not name lol, has one set of Bob Drake boards in stock but wants $4500 delivered. Mine are in excellent condition, painted black like the car, so I may try the rubber install route. I dont have a close up of my boards but here is the car.

Attached Files:

5. And thank you for the nice welcome, to all

6. cwmoss, is sold out and they said no more expected. A company in North Carolina, Steele Rubber Products has the rubber for $650 or so. I wonder if they are better and thats why the big price difference ?

7. I am in Frederick, MD. Not sure for you if that is a good thing or not. LOL. I might be asking loads of questions and advice from you.

8. I really appreciate everyone that is posting places to get the rubber covers for my running board project. That's not the issue, there are a few that have the rubber covers, my problem is wanting the vulcanized rubber running boards. The complete boards with the rubber already on them. Like I mentioned before, there is one place that has 1 NIB Bob Drake boards with the rubber. They want $4,500.00 for the set. They originally sold for $1,100.00. My current boards are painted and in excellent shape but everytime i get in the car, I have to be very careful not to scuff them. Plus, I lke the rubber look much better. That's the debate I am asking.

9. Okay, my answer is no, $4,500 is too much, I don't believe they are worth that much. Unless money is no object.

My build thread has pics of fitting Bob Drake covers to 1938 boards. It's not hard, just be careful.

10. ....Very good! We're practically neighbors, LOL.

11. Quick tip: If you click on the "full image" button before the "post reply" button your images won't be thumbnails, but full images..:) IMG_1131.jpg

12. Great looking '40 by the way. Hope to see it in person some time....Don.

13. For you guys advising him of the rubber covers, I think what he has are the smoothy boards which were quite popular late 80's- early '90's. Even though they are steel, they don't have the little holes that allow the glue to penetrate. He's on the right track, hopefully he can find some vulcanized ones at a sensible price.

14. Can I also assume, if that is the case, they don't have the stepped lip on the outer lower edge? The covers are molded to fit that.

15. My boards are smooth all the way from car to outer edge. They are solid steel without any holes or indents. They are painted the high gloss black exactly like the entire car. They look fine but I have already scratched them a little just getting in and out of the car.

16. What I don't understand is why would a place stop making them? If they have the mold, make them for other years and know the process, you would think they would always have a couple in stock. Or worse case, make them to order. Bob Drake guy told me they have no plans to ever make them again.

17. It is an industrial manufacturing process to make molded, vulcanised boards. In other words not cheap and involves special equipment. It's not something to can just go out to the back room and knock a few off in half an hour. They also have to be made in significant batch numbers to be financially viable ...with a market large enough that you'd be confident in selling them all to recover costs. The market is shrinking, which is why many parts are not being made any more. When they're gone, they are gone. So, the general rule of thumb these days is if you think you need something, buy it now because it may not be available down the track. Then tears.

18. In the Drake case, it APPEARS to me that as he is past retirement age, he is winding down his inventory. In other words, when it's gone, it's gone.

19. This is a company that is already making vulcanized boards, just not the model year i need. They made them at one time and most likely still have the molds, I would think it wouldn't be that difficult to switch the mold, make a handful, then switch back. The process is the same, i guess, in making them for other year vehicles, which they are doing. The steel boards and rubber covers are easy to locate, so there is some market for the model year I need. For the person, like me, that obtains a vehicle for the first time, there will always be a need, albeit small for parts, knowledge and advice. Now, for the new comer, the price has shot up because of no supply.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  20. I thought it was a huge company. Not sure why I thought that but in the few months i've been an owner and reading up on the car, Bob Drake has popped up many times. If that is the case, then now I understand the low or no inventory issue.

21. I don't think they are producing boards for other years, they just haven't sold out the inventory for those years.
    I don't think they ever produced a lot in house, but all this is my observation/speculation.

22. I believe I will attempt the glue on rubber covers. I have zero knowledge, minimal capabilities and a very small, 20x20. garage to work in. My preferred course of action would be to have them installed for me. Auto body shop, upholstery shop or where should I start? Any ideas are really appreciated.

23. that makes even more sense to me. thanks

24. I need to stop thinking AMAZON. 1940 is a new world for me and I need to adjust. LOL

Rarefish383S likes this.
  25. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

That is one sharp car. If I had of got my 39 looking like that, I may not have gone over the the dark side, Mopar's or no cars. Not much I can do to help with the car. But, if you start to get frustrated, and need a little mental adjustment, I've got a bottle of Wellers, and I'm just down the road in Mt Airy. Don't know how I've never seen your car"

26. Yes, you would think, but that is not reality.

Industrial manufacturing is not like making a hamburger. Bob Drake does not have a corner of a little room where they do this, it is outsourced to a company with the manufacturing where-with-all to enable the process to be carried out. Large industrial equipment in a factory. No one is going to set that process and $ involved in motion just for you.

That's the reality.

27. @X38 , I put a link to your 'how to' posts on recovering running boards.
    Can you give this rodder a little confidence that he CAN recover his flat steel boards?