Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford Deluxe Coupe running boards

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Michael Miller Sr, Jan 15, 2024.

1. LOL, I'm in Mount Airy also ! Off of Watersville road. I put Frederick because I thought no one would know where Mount Airy, MD is and confuse it with the one in North Carolina.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Thanks, I will be checking out your thread and decide whether I can handle doing it. Maybe you need a vacation in The States and while here, you can install them for me. Washington, DC is lovely this time of the year ! We have snow !! LOL

3. My thinking was way off, I envisioned Bob Drake employees making from start to finish the vulacanized boards. I now understand the process better and thank you for detailing it out. I was hoping it was a much simpler process. Something like, " hey Joe, put mold A147 in and make a few". Wishful thinking on my part

4. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

I thought I had my location in my avatar, nope, I'll take care of that. When we built the addition on our house the work crew was here waiting for the roof trusses. About noon our builder called the truss factory and they said the truck had been sitting at the building lot since early morning? There was no truck in front of my house? They sent out trusses to Mt Airy NC, instead of MD.

5. ............OH NO!!!:eek:

6. ...I've never done it, but I think I would wait for warmer weather and a sunny day.:)

Michael Miller Sr likes this.
  7. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

I have a friend that is real good with stuff like that. Let me ask him if he's interested? Unless your garage is heated, I'm sure he would want to wait for warmer weather too. He's just down the road from you in Woodbine, Joe.

8. I mentioned the stepped lip. The board covers are made for that. Unless your boards are exactly the same as stock ones, including the lip, I would not attempt to fit stock replacement covers.

9. thank you for going out of your way in trying to help me with my project. i've already come to the conclusion that i dont have the skills to do this. My "garage" is a 20x20 metal building that was constructed adozen or so years ago for my mowers and stuff and not as a garage. When I purchased this car, I cleaned everything out, put down the garage tile squares on concrete floor and call it my man cave. The car barely fits from front to back with it's bumpers. Let me know please what he has to say

10. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

Talked to Rob and he said when good weather gets here he would be happy to look at it. He has 5 model "T's". I asked if any of their running boards had the rubber strip and he said no, but some model "A's" did. He is a very talented purist. His brother had a Chopped A 2 door sedan. Rob bought it to "Unchop" it, and return it to original. Seeing the work a lot of these guys do, that might be child's play? But, it impresses me.

11. If you really want rubber running boards, why compromise and spend $600 on strips? But, if that's what you want, then look around, as there are likely other sources for them. Myself, I like the original look of rubber boards.

12. $600 for a few shitty strips? I don’t think so.

13. 5window

5window

14. lothiandon1940 and 5window like this.
  15. 5window

5window

Haven't had luck for you. Maybe ask on the FordBarn or the AACA site or maybe even call the AACA Museum? Or,ask these folks: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/

16. If I was in this position; I would hunt down a pair of original boards, prep, and install the replacement rubber on them. I say this due to the way the rubber fits the outer edge and the end. We have used both contact cement and windshield urethane to do these covers with good results. The boards need to be nice and straight for the best appearance.

If you end having to cover your existing "smoothy" boards; instead of spending up for stock style rubber, which may not fit. I would just get some rubber runner from a big box store and glue that down. Running boards done this way work and will look OK to the majority of people that look at your car. I've done low-buck and off brand cars this way.

Depending on the condition of the rest of your car; I would examine if the inflated price of the Drake boards might bring more value to the car in the long run. My buddy paid up for a pair of "out of stock" Drake boards for the '33 we did and I don't think anything else would have looked as good.

There was a guy, Hundley Acuff that re-vulcanized running boards; but he retired. I read somewhere on the Ford Barn that someone has the molds and equipment and may restart the service; but that was a while ago and I haven't read anything more.

X38 and Michael Miller Sr like this.
  17. Tommyddsr

Tommyddsr

I'm going to have same issue. My running boards were shot so I will be buying new ones. Considering spraying them with Rhino Liner or something similar. Not looking for original look as it will be a 60/70 style Hot Rod. Anyone else go this route?

18. Wish you and your project the very best. I put everything on hold til more favorable weather for working with rubber.