Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 roadmaster

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by neonhorse, Mar 26, 2017.

1. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

Drug this home today. Last registered in 83. Been sitting in agarage in downtown Seattle since. My wife is in love with it. I am hoping to get the original L8 running again. Owner said it had a rod knock when parked. She wants it orange with gold flames. Thoughts?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy, kiwijeff, Lepus and 5 others like this.
  2. Very cool. I live in Tacoma maybe see you cruisin it someday!

Sent from my SM-G928V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Very COOL looking car!Bruce.

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool find and if your Wife loves it its all good.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in my teens I drove past a guy sitting on the side of the road where US 97 passed through the gap at Union Gap who pulled the crank out of one of those from the bottom and rebuilt the engine on the side of the road over about 4 days while his family was camped on the other side of the car. Ya do what you gotta do when you don't have a choice.

If you wife plans to drive that one I'd say rebuild the engine right so it is reliable. A young club member in Waco had one in the 70's that he and his buddy slicked out and painted in his driveway with Laddie Segrest (sp) supervising the paint job that really turned out nice. You could do Lacquer in the driveway and get away with it though.

I see a big comfy cruiser in that one that she can pile her crew in and go cruizing.

Hudson31 likes this.
  6. brady1929

brady1929

7. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

[​IMG]so, the guy i got it from says "if you need any parts, you can check out the one in the blackberries.

8. BJR

BJR

I would drag that one home also. There will always be something you can use off of it for your good one.

9. Orange with gold flames it is. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!! ;)

neonhorse likes this.
  10. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

Yeah, cant wait to see her and about 8 other bellydancers piled into that thing.

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

neonhorse...
    The '48's are cool cars...and I think the Roadmaster's were Buick's biggest seller's that year. Your L8 should have 320 cubes & 144 hp. Those engines are real work horses when they're all together...and almost "bullet proof". Parts are available, so you shouldn't have any trouble in that category.

Best of luck with it...and let's see it's progress when you get have time to tackle it !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 70's I had a pretty nice '48 Super convertible that had a blown engine when I got it. I had a guy who had been a mechanic at a Buick dealership for a long time rebuild the engine for me. After he took it apart and found it was toast, he told me to find a later model engine for it. He said that the '48 had poured babbit bearings and would cost a lot to rebuild. I found a '53 Special for $150 that he used for a core. I ended up with a real good running, driving car. Back in those days, the "Hydro-Electric" parts for the power windows, power seat, and power top were simply not available, an I ended up selling it (trust me, I've always regretted selling that car).

Anyhow, I'm not enough of a Buick expert to know if the babbit/insert bearing issue existed with the Roadmaster series, but it's something you should keep in mind. I used to vintage race with a guy who had a Roadmaster powered track roadster. It was punched out 1/4" (!) and ran IH tractor pistons (for 356 ci) and 5 Stromberg 97's. It was real fast.

13. plan9

plan9

My old 48 Super... long gone, should have kept it. Took some work to get it reliable... really comfortable, excellent power and had a nice sound at speed with Smithy's mufflers.

I agree with BJR... when you need spares its not always easy to get. I was able to source spares and replacements from a Buick enthusiast in Los Angeles... wasnt always cheap.

Apparently sediment settles at the back of the block which makes I-8's prone to overheating. At the very least flush the block out a few times... not a guarantee, but it may help. Definitely worth the effort to keep the original Buick drive train.

upload_2017-3-30_22-6-37.png

upload_2017-3-30_22-7-56.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    'Mo, 31hotrodguy, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Outstanding buy!! Please keep us updated

15. Awesome find. I like that you're going to try and get the original motor back in running order. As for the paint, just remember , happy wife, happy life

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

Got the primary bodywork done and the whole body in primer this weekend. Still needs some detail work on the body, but wanted to get some paint on it before winter. Next step I guess is to see if it will run before I go any further. It supposedly drove into the garage I found it in.

Attached Files:

Surfcityrocker, kiwijeff and 302GMC like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looking good. Finally got my '47 Super sedan parts car home a couple of weekends back. Only need a few things and the rest could go to a good home if anyone is interested.

19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of our Kats Dick Huckans built this one. Posted the pic for some motivation. Keep us posted with the progress.

22179991_1520773931369452_4556228356715966015_o.jpg

20. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Just make sure your hood latches lock good 'n tight!

21. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

The I8 is an awesome engine. I have fallen in love with mine which is the small series 263. Most think its a 6 until you tell em to count the wires. Long and heavy but sounds like a typewriter. Mine ran warm but I stuck a 160 degree thermostat in it and it solved the problem. Nice score!

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

These Buicksare just classy with fantastic lines that are just a little understated.

23. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

Mostly stored for the winter, but went and messed with it last weekend. Got it to turn over for the first time since 1983. Anyone have a good source for the batteries for these?

31hotrodguy likes this.
  24. beerczar1976

beerczar1976

Put a new 6v battery in my '50 Special about a year ago. They can be found at Tractor Supply, NAPA, anyplace that sells tractor/forklift/equipment batteries. I think the series is like 3E or something like that...

Genes12320 likes this.
  25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson