Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Ford Customline daily driver

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Shane Spencer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks hunter

Got the k member piece mostly finished up before work today. Rounded the sides off for a nicer look, also cut and modified the stock park brake bracket and welded it on. Needs a few more adjustments but should work well

IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG

flyin-t and biggeorge like this.
  2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Got my 4" blocks in from butchs. Gonna be a slow weekend for the car though. Got holiday things goin on and doin some pinstriping work in the spare time

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ordered some stuff from night prowlers kustom car parts. Got a lot of small stuff, traffic viewer, half headlight covers, etc etc. They had 54 merc side spears for $30 a piece. I was hesitant because they were wayy cheaper than others ive found, especially originals. Happy to say they are super nice quality ! Heavy and nice chrome
    IMG_1133.JPG

50Poopbox likes this.
  4. They look great! Are they really production or after market spears? And you did an awesome job on your trans crossmember, looks really clean

5. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Like the others, I agree that the gold should be used as piping. The gold vinyl and gold carpet are just enough of a mismatch that they clash when you have large surfaces of gold vinyl. When the gold is simply used as piping, there's so little of it that the mismatch won't be at all obvious.

By the way, I particularly appreciate your interior colors because they are the school colors for my alma mater: the University of Wyoming. Should you ever find yourself driving through Laramie on gameday, you'll have the most popular car in town!

6. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Good choise for the Merc spears!!!!!!!!;)

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks greaser.

Aj there repops from night prowler. I dont know how close they are to originals as ive never seen any in person, but the quality is very nice. I dont know much other than that hahah

I agree ted on the colors. The gold is slightly off. The brown pleats should look good and be easier to keep clean as well which is great for a daily. Thats cool that wyoming uses those colors. Not a very common combo for a school

8. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I think the brown, gold, white would look great!

And the gold, brown, white would put you in the early 1970s......

9. I am really enjoying this thread! Wonderful work and progress!!

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Quick mockup of the spears. There sitting out a bit far due to the tape i had holding them in place for the pic. I like them a lot

IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG

11. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Very good!!!!!!!!

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Snagged a '50 horn ring on ebay in good shape. Im going to buy a 49 center button which is gold so itll match the interior. If anyone has a 49-50 steering wheel let me know

IMG_1151.jpg

Also thinking about doing a grill like this. First one is a HAMBers car i believe. 2 1/4" aluminum tubing. Not sure whos skyliner in the second pic but it has a similar look, slightly larger crossbar though

IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG

oliver westlund likes this.
  13. The Spears look great on there! Are you keeping the stone gaurds on? What are you doing with your original steering wheel?

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Keeping the stone gaurd as well. The stock mercs have a stone gaurd as well but its a tad shorter. My stock 54 wheel is BEAT. Theres a lot of missing chunks cracked away that i dont have. It would take a TON of work to rebuild it

15. The Merc "teeth" look great with your stock stainless trim.

16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks man. I like the look of all the trim together. Im a fan of both traditional kustoms and the bomb style chevys with all the trim and accesories. Trying to mix both styles in a way that compliment each other

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I think i found my roof color. HOK zenith gold. Heres a 61 lesabre and a bike fender with the color

IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1194.JPG IMG_1195.JPG

And a super quick photoshop

IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1201.JPG

If anyone has a spare 54 front bumper with driver quality chrome please let me know. My front bumper is SHOT. Im going to have to cut off the bumperettes and the chrome behind them is all gone

MO_JUNK, biggeorge and Peanut 1959 like this.
  18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Picked up a '49 horn button to go in the '50 horn ring. The gold should match the interior well

IMG_1256.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Removed the door panels, window garnishes, package tray and rear seat back

IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG

If you guys remember at the beginning of the thread there was something that made a nest in the headliner of the car..... well i found the dead carcasses. All 8 of them haha. Apparently mice had gotten into the car in the garage of the previous owner

IMG_1265.JPG

flyin-t, kiwijeff and biggeorge like this.
  20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I removed the license plate bracket to figure out a new latch for it. I like that the gas filler is hidden but ive always HATED the spring operated bracket that holds the plate. Its a major PITA when trying to fuel up, i removed the spring and need to figure out some type of magnet or latch system so the plate will swing freely down out of the way when im fueling

IMG_1269.JPG

Dropped the tank, this is one of few things that i had replaced on the car when i had it 7 years ago and its still in great shape

IMG_1270.JPG

I painted the underside of the trunk above the tank years ago too and that was still in good shape as well

IMG_1271.JPG

I wanted to shave the holes in the rear garnishes where the pull handles screw in. Tig'd them up and metal finished them.

Before...

IMG_1272.JPG

After.....

IMG_1281.JPG

biggeorge likes this.
  21. I completely agree!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Shave it and move the filler neck in the trunk..

23. insinna

insinna

1483583987223.jpg

This is my 52... I cut a coil out of front and 2 1/2 blocks in rear....love the stance and ride is still pretty good....love the progress so far

Sent from my 6045O using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

voodookustoms, kiwijeff and biggeorge like this.
  24. insinna

insinna

Also i relocated gas fill into trunk and frenched plate where original gas fill was

Sent from my 6045O using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cut out the trunk floor above the rear end. Also cut out the radius that rolls into the lower trunk as a seperate piece

IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG

You can see what im trying to accomplish by cutting the pieces the way i did. I should be able to roll the radius section up to raise the trunk floor, make a filler panel to fill the gap and keep a stock looking trunk for the most part

IMG_1305.JPG

Rear came out, excuse the blue tire coating hahah

IMG_1310.JPG

Exhaust out. This will be re done with smaller tips eventually

IMG_1318.JPG

My plan was to use these c notch pieces i had laying around but the frame rail is wider than these.....

IMG_1330.JPG

So i decided to make my own mini notch from leftover plate i have

IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG

The actual cut in the frame is about 2/3 into the rail. I just set these in place for the pic, my welding helmet batteries died so no further progress. The cut in the frame will be boxed out and then these will be welded and slipped over the rail to give the rail some strength. You can also see the wheelwell is trimmed for the raised floor in this pic

IMG_1333.jpg

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Got the notches all welded up tonight after work. Gonna weld them to the rails tomorrow and box the underside

IMG_1366.jpg

Heres a few shots of them slipped on the rail

IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg

flyin-t, biggeorge and The 39 guy like this.
  27. 46mopar

46mopar

Looks like I car I used to know :)

Attached Files:

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Haha nice pic man ! For those of you following the thread, 46mopar is the guy i bought the car from the first time around 6 years ago just like it sat in the picture

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Drilled holes for some plug welds for extra strength. Welded the notches in and boxed the undersides
    IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1379.jpg

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cut out the floor to make a new driveshaft tunnel. I also wanted to fix the shoddy sections where someone replaced the rear pans so i made the new tunnel piece wide enough to allow me to cut that out. Tried to follow the stock radius as much as possible

IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1398.jpg

Gonna seam seal both sides and start welding the raised trunk floor back together

chryslerfan55, brEad and biggeorge like this.