Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Ford Mainline Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyfords, Sep 4, 2011.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

As long as you have the dash out think about replacing the stock bulbs with colored LED's I used blue to match my blue interior.

2. Good idea Jeff...where did you get the bulbs.....local parts house?

3. His build is awesome, not sure I have it in me to go that far but he is really doing a nice job. And so are you I might add !

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I like your paint colors on your 302. We did the same thing in 55 thunderbird but did the Ford red block and black valve covers theme with some "Thunderbird V8" decals. It looks super cool and 90% of the people that look at it think its a y-block :)

5. sobpunx

sobpunx

Where did you find the speedometer lens?
    Keep up the good work!

6. Found it on eBay.

What's cool is that my tudor was a Sheriff's car when it was new. It wasn't a Police Interceptor package, but it was a police car nonetheless. So...it's kind of fitting that it'll end up with a Police Interceptor speedometer.

I'll have to do a bit of trial and error to get the proper gear for the AOD to make it calibrate correctly, but I think it'll be doable.

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Pep Boys has them,also quite a selection on Amazon.The ones I used came in a pack of four they are smaller diameter than the stockers so here's what you do go to good Ol' Ace hardware and get some rubber grommets for adapters they hold them in nice and tight,take the new bulbs with you to fit for size.The new LED's have a ground and a hot wire solder the four wires together and splice to a common ground and hot wire.This should do it for your speedo gear http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item519b612801#ht_1633wt_1187 since your Ford was non overdrive with the 3:90 rear,mine had overdrive so I used the 23 tooth.It should be close depending on tire height.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. Sounds like a plan Jeff....thanks!

9. I'm happy to report that I'll be starting a great new job on Tuesday, working for a company that I've been trying to get on with for over a year now.

2012 has the potential to be a very prosperous year for me and my family.

Of course, that will spill over into this 54 tudor build....and will help push it over the edge to the running, driving, street legal stage.

10. This is a great looking project. I really like the paint job on the engine. It looks like my 239!

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Weather in the high 70's today in Phoenix so I am doing the roof insulation like Danny with "Peel 'N' Stick" 1/2 done today will finish up tomorrow,it's working great so far no smell.

12. marsforlife069

marsforlife069

I built my whole '37 GMC truck with just a chop saw, a mig welder and a some basic hand tools. Really, it's the person who uses the tools not the tools that you have. Good luck and stick with it. Giving up is the easiest thing you can do but that doesn't get you a ride to cruise in!

13. U-235

U-235

Rusty, I see you have your exhaust manifold clearance solved. But if you were ever to do it again try Summits conversion headers for a 302-351 into a Falcon. I ordered mine on a monday and had them installed by 8:00 PM Wenesday, and I could install them from the top...! I have a 351 Windsor (a little wider) and a 605 PS box from Gearheads.

14. good info....thanks

15. How' s the Gearheads P/ s conversion work out ?
    I was considering it for my Ranchwagon.

16. I really like what you have done with the car so far.

I am not trying to start anything here but thought I would add a little something from my own experience.

I have a 1956 Ford Customline. I bought it with radial tires and drove it all over the United States and Canada. I logged on more miles on it in six months than most guys put on there daily drivers in a year. I hated the look, but I was to poor to get new tires. Finally I got me some 6.70's from Coker. I had them put on and balanced. Once again I drove it all over the United States and Canada. Even drove it on some really really rough roads in Brooklyn and the Bronx. I barely noticed a difference. Car still rode like a dream. My mom usually goes to all the shows with me as passenger (we have logged on some crazy miles together) even she said it rides the same.

Just some food for though. Lot's of people put down things like Bias-Plys, but they really are not as bad as people say they are.

I freaked out more when I first saw my car on Bias-Plys than the day I bought the car:D

17. I've been putting in some serious garage time, getting lots of small stuff done on the 54.

Here's a list of my accomplishments over the last week:

- Ran the rear wire bundle from the fuse panel to the rear of the car, including the fuel sender wire and electric fuel pump wire
    - Wired up the fuel sender
    - Installed fuel sender float
    - Finished reassembling the dashboard....minus the radio.
    - Sanblasted, primed and painted the following parts: Inner Fender Splash Panels, Under Engine Panels, Splash Panels that go between the fender and the body, Early 302 Valve Covers, 68 Mustang Accelerator Pedal, HiBeam Switch Holder.

(I decided to go with a set of valve covers that already had provisions for a PCV, instead of modifying my current set. I'll have to order new stickers for them soon.)

Attached Files:

18. Thanks for the thoughts Mitchell. Trust me....I'm a lover of Bias Plys and I'm on the fence on this build.

When the tires are hanging out there....like they are on a fenderless car....I think Bias Plys are the only way to go.

19. Don,you have been on a roll this weekend!:) HRP

20. Danny, it's amazing what just a wee little bit of spare cash will do for a project. :D

21. Sounds good! I wasn't trying to start any problems, just throwing in my two cents:D Bias-Plys do look great though! Good luck on the build and keep us posted!

22. no sweat brother....thanks for the input

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

24. Jeff, it was a Sherriff's car when it was new, but it wasn't a P code car.

For whatever reason, that police dept in eastern Arkansas didn't feel the need to spring for the police package.

It was decked out in police form when I bought it 26 years ago though.

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i love my bias plies. but i do notice that i can't take highway on ramps like i could with the radials...

26. Is it a traction issue?

I'm really on the fence on this issue, and I have to buy my tires in the next month, so I'm wanting to educate myself as much as possible.

I had a brand new set of bias plys on a 54 Chevy pickup with a stock solid front axle, and I remember one thing I really hated about it was how it would pick up a groove in the road and want to follow it. When I wore out the bias plys, I replaced them with radials and that issue went away.

27. If it's a show car or a period correct restoration I'd go bias ply but if you're going to actually drive it, I'd go with radials.

28. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I drive my pontiac every single day with bias plies and its no problem at all, once you get used to the small difference, its like theres no difference at all. And they look 100 times better.

29. Don,I have the bias ply on the 32 sedan and the 32 pickup and yeah they will chase a groove but I like the look and the sizes that are available in bias ply,,to me it was what I wanted.

But with the '54 Wagon I decided to go with radials,,mainly because of durability,,Radials just last longer.HRP