Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Dodge C3 daily driver

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Andy Van Herwynen, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Hi, new on the HAMB and new to the vintage truck build. I have a solid 56 Dodge C3 that's not seen a Wisconsin winter in at least 30 years. It'll be going on my 2001 Dakota donor chassis. Gene, probably a member on here, wisely directed me away from the 4.7V8 in my Dakota to the much better 5.2 Magnum that I will be connecting to my 8HP-70 trans to build a fun daily driver. It'll be slightly built up to get near 350hp to the rear wheels.

I like the vintage engine looks, but also trying to do this out of pocket project (thats uh, cheap to those of us that know), so I like to use combination of parts for a classic style. I already scored a real vintage Cadillac air filter assembly and found it fits right on top of the 5.2 Magnum throttle body like its meant to be there. Plus it'll disguise the 5.2 kegger intake, especially since I'll get that powder coated in black. I could go the vintage looking Magnum valve covers, but they are kinda pricey and so common. The stock 5.2 Magnum valve covers are, well, functional and thats about it. So, an idea:

The 315 Poly V8 in my 56 Dodge has those cool looking semi-Hemi valve covers. I wonder if I could make them mountable onto the 5.2 Magnum? I have a welder, so I could cut the stock 5.2 Magnum valve covers down to the mount flanges, and cut the Poly valve covers to fit onto the 5.2 mount flanges and create a hybrid old school style valve cover? IF it is possible, it would make for a neat under hood look with the Cadillac air filter housing on the kegger, plus I like the plug wiring harness routing on the old Poly V8. I'd install a nice chrome fill cap on each valve cover along with an EGR valve to maintain that function from the stock 5.2 Magnum valve covers.

Neat idea? Wild no way idea?

2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

Please remember this is a 'traditional' hot rod site. As such we don't talk about parts or swaps that were not available in the years prior to 1965.

Sounds like a fun project.