Register now to get rid of these ads!

An HA/GR (& other classes) Place for Discussion

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 64 DODGE 440, Dec 1, 2014.

1. "Then I thought about pulling the 200 engine out to build a little rail job around. But I have a Holley 2300 carb adapted, a C4 auto trans, electronic 1978 distributor ..."
    Crosley, that would be acceptable per the Nw/Vr rules as the ignition has to be battery operated.

2. spanners

spanners

I can't help but feel that Harry506 might be doing a bit of shit-stirring or is possibly just lonely.
    You could always line him up for a dial-in race. He dials 10.00 or whatever he normally runs and Old6 dials his usual. No dialing 12 something when he knows he can run quicker. Best of 3 sounds fair.
    As far as heads up races go, I did a Test 'n Tune day at Sydney a while back. As I was the only HA/GR there, they would run me with whoever was ready to go. I'm cool with that. They ran me against a Modified dragster, injected small block and all. I actually beat him off the line but he bolted and was at the other end packing up his 'chute when I got there. I pulled up alongside and told him that next time I wouldn't give him a head start. He laughed , shook my hand and said "no worries, we'll have another go". I don't care who I'm racing or what they're driving.

3. Harry506

Harry506

Old6rodder, combat vet? Which side were you on? North or South?
    As far as SDRA goes, again, I'm just asking for the same consideration that they had for another member. If they can allow slicks, why not an OHV v-8? Cadillac had one in 1949 I believe. I have still not heard one good reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

4. old sparks

old sparks

Please back off on the veteran part. A lot of us are vets. I myself served from 1967 to 1971 and we take our commitment very serious.

5. Harry506

Harry506

I was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne. You'll be fine.

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

South (Viet Nam). :D
    And I loved that old saw when Leno used it in Space Cowboys. :cool:

Buzzard, eh? Good. Took my jump at Benning, but pulled the Old Guard (LIB) when I went over late due to a fractured collar bone from a personal argument with a '65 Ford wagon (yeah, I lost that one :rolleyes:). I'll have to tell my good one about me, Sgt Goss and the 34' tower sometime. Over on my thread though, this one's gone too far sideways as it is.

Your case/point has been argued several times before, with the recorded results.
    Adding the caveat of the slicks decision doesn't change the points of the engine rules, so even in a legal frame of reference, your rational isn't linear. It needs it's own stand alone argument.

In the end, "It is what it is." is what you have. You can further something from it, or you can continue scuffing your forehead on a wall that's unlikely to budge.
    Just a bit of Hoosier pragmatism.

Also, it's time to end this banter here, with both positions well represented and well fortified, before we screw up and get a good useful thread buttoned down.
    Just another bit, Gentlemen.

7. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I think keeping the inlines (only) is a good direction. Around here in Arizona 4 to 6 inline powered cars show up on a regular basis. Maybe a flat head V8 .

IF that 300racer guy Rich, ever gets his rail job running. That will add 1 more inliner car in AZ

8. Crosley,
    No more flathead..Wayne sold that car and now just has the FED with the buick straight 8. He just moved over to the Tucson area so he's a Zonie now. When Will finishes his Econoline that will be another 6 also.

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

One of the facets of the original concept was also to re-kindle & enjoy the old ohv6 vs bent8 flattie wars that ran for awhile, lip to be service included. :D

To that end I wish the flatties were cheaper to run these days, so we had more of'em. :cool:

10. Old6,
    Wonder if we could ever get together with Dimitris' UFRA group? Fortunately the owner of Wayne's flathead lives in New Mexico and I have his contact info so if we do something I can get ahold of him.

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If the weather ever cools off enough that I can work on the Rabbit (more damn 100 degree plus this week), we're covering both the inline and flathead genre. I'm so looking forward to hearing the little Dodge snarl. There are a lot of flathead sixes out there just looking for a build. I'm thinking that someone should build a car with one of the big Hudson sixes. The options are endless.

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We have Carl and Elmer, who show regularly at Eagle, and Dimitri's there occasionally.
    There're usually a few more flatties there as well.

Dimitri and Elmer also usually make Forever Four's meets (now back at The Pit) and have made Barona's in the past. There're usually more flatties at those.

They're pretty much the nexus of the flattie crowd out here, and Eagle's pretty much the
    "waterin' hole". :cool:

13. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Well, most of the races you promote are inliners - flat head bracket races. The same cars have largely shown up the last 4 yrs. It is always a question of cash for building, buying, travel to race track. Tucson AZ is great track, I hope Jim Hughes keeps the track mapped out and can build the crowds. Phx guys dont make the trip sometimes for various reasons. Wild Horse Pass track is not conductive to small race group. Ihear the same complaints each visit to WHP . Gonna be interesting year to come.

14. Crosley,
    As of now the only event on my schedule for next year is May 6-7th for the Tucson dragway reunion. Weather it's just participating in the event or if I have an actual Flathead/Inline race depends if enough people will commit to going. I would like to do a $500 guaranteed to win purse. I know money isn't the reason this group gets together but it may entice a few other if they know that there is guaranteed purse money.I will check and see what Wild Horse has for club dates for the early spring also.

15. old sparks

old sparks

Back on the ford 240/300 thread. The reason I brought up the 3 speed question is with the lower 1st gear, 60 ft. times could be a lot better. The tire issue,in my mind, is really not a problem. Besides, 300 hp with 6000 rpm plus capability is way better than my combo( at least 1000 rpm more than I can run) As far as cutting .050 off the pistons ,what are they solid castings or forged? Who makes them?

16. Old28

Old28

FLYER - thanks for the information on the pistons. Did you have to mill the block to make a -0- deck?
    Are the tops of the 352 pistons ok with .050" milled off in a 10.5 CR / 6500 rpm motor setup?

old sparks - Dan, I know that an old buddy of ours Dick M in southern ca is putting an Art Carr C-4 behind his 300 and I think one of the NW Vintage cars runs a C-4 or C-6. Lot of Ford bracket door cars run Art Carr c-4 & c-6 units. Cost a little more if you want a PG hooked to that 300. I am with you in it's more fun trying to make the parts that are out there work than ordering a set of custom pistons. I am just looking for an interesting combination that would make a reliable motor for a little less cash outlay.

Hope this SDRA motor & trans stuff is OK in this thread, if not I can move it Just looking for some home built ideas.

17. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

The Ford C4 trans is very durable. Can be built with a few torrington bearings in place of the thrust washers to save some parasitic losses. Machine work is required for the bearings added

18. old sparks

old sparks

Frenchtown, I have a vertex mag for a ford six cylinder. How do I identify what year motor it will fit ? Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated.

19. Harry506

Harry506

SBC's rule! Sixes drool!!!

20. Harry506

Harry506

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444026605.358841.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444026644.596960.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444026700.904232.jpg
    Some pics of my build.

21. old sparks

old sparks

Went to eagle field this weekend and had a bit of a problem. Rocky , his staff and all the racers went way above all expectations with their support and generosity. I would like to say thank you to all for what you did. You made the event for me. I`ve been racing for 30+ years and this was the best. Thanks to all, Dan Maciel

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

.050 off the tops will put you on or near zero deck.

Yes, they will live at those numbers.

Compare the drive portion with a big six stocker and a small six stocker. They are different. What are your plans for it? Does it have advance or is it locked?

23. old sparks

old sparks

Frenchtown, From what I feel it has about 20 degrees centrifugal advance. I was going to use it for my friends dragster but like a lot of people he seems to" I`m going to build it some day" and I don`t have a lot of patience for that. I have to find a big six dist to compare it with Don`t really know what then. If I unload it, I want it to go to someone who`ll put it to good use

24. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

Slicks were voted in so we could still run during big events at trp. The pro mod and radials boys were bitching about how the sdra cars with their street tires was tearing up the track. At that meeting both slicks and street tires were allowed The group just decided to convert fully to pie crust slicks this December.

25. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

WE DO!!!!

26. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

Harry was under the assumption that he couldn't run with us, which is kinda correct. He can race with us, but earns no points towards the sdra championship as he isn't a legal sdra car. Id like to see the early v8's be allowed, hell id like to run a honda 4 cylinder version of an sdra car. It wouldn't be legal for competition so i rethought that idea lol. I didn't want to be a lone wolf.

27. Harry506

Harry506

I am fine with not earning any points. It'd be a shame if I took away all those points from the SDRA with my $3000 race car...

Daniel Clark likes this.
  28. Harry506

Harry506

I'll run with them like they said I could for no points and match race and bracket race some here and there. When I build another v-8 car, I'll find someone to pilot it and we can match race around a few venues in Oklahoma..

Daniel Clark likes this.
  29. old sparks

old sparks

What, nobody building anything ?

30. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

Why build when Walmart sells complete frames.