Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects another '30 roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by XwalkerX, Mar 16, 2017.

1. XwalkerX

XwalkerX

2. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Nice car ..really like it . Just cool

3. XwalkerX

XwalkerX

noticed some sputtering and less than snappy throttle response so i decided to change out the fuel filter since who knows how long its been on there...

[​IMG]

id say it was time haha

[​IMG]

good as new...

[​IMG]

4. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

I'm not an expert but is it with all that modern material a traditional hot rod?

cadillacoffin and 30tudor like this.
  5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... traditional refers to style... traditional style hot rod... IMO ... not needing to be a total period correct rod... but retaining the early hot rod look...
    As opposed to a "real" old hot rod, which is considered to be a vintage hot rod..
    then there is the "period correct" build, not an old rod, but needing all it's parts to be period correct...
    glad we don't have to follow a really strict set of rules to play hot rods...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    gas & guns, clunker and slv63 like this.
  6. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Ah, ok, I learned. Traditional hot rod means only look-a-like.
    So can I build one with a fiberglassbody?

7. XwalkerX Looks like you win, filter was still doing it's job. Maybe time to look inside the tank? That's some big pieces of Junk!
    The Wizzard

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

steff, your in Germany, you can do whatever you choose... i personally don't mind a glass car if it is built like and looks like a hot rod... but a glass "street rod" is not my cup of tea...

Steffen Jobst likes this.
  9. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

When it's still a traditional hot rod, that would be easy: Fiberglassbody & LSx engine and a little bit look-a-like.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I'm a Ford guy, what the heck is an LSx,
    289 or 351W for me... I ran flatties for years, but a serious back / leg injury killed the standard tranny thing for me...
    And a C4 or an AOD auto behind a flattie have their own qwirks...

11. Steel or Glass, who really cares? Make a statement and Drive it. At 60 mph no one knows and no one cares. Parking lots are for insecure Car owners that care what others think. Don't like the LS motor, don't look at it and move on. It's that simple.
    The Wizzard

clunker and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  12. XwalkerX

XwalkerX

cant please everyone so i may as well please myself

13. Wow, that's really cool. :) Awesome salt flat pictures, too.

14. XwalkerX

XwalkerX

15. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Sorry, I only wanted to learn something about traditional hot rods. I thought there's a special idea behind, the spirit like in this forum not younger than '65 and dedicated to a special historic interest.
    I don't want to be pleased I only want to learn.

16. XwalkerX

XwalkerX

then youre in the wrong thread.

Steffen Jobst likes this.
  17. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Ah ok. Sorry for that. Wich one would be the correct thread with real traditional hot rods?

18. I relate this to finding a Knock out Red head (my weakness) with the finest fitting Jeans and Bluest eyes you could ask for. You strike up a conversation with Her and she has a tinny bit of a Lisp. Now you don't like what you see??? Come on!
    The Wizzard

clunker likes this.
  19. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

20. Sometimes you just have to say WTF.
    Steffen is interested and deserves some curtesy!
    Build what you like and can afford. There are some great looking traditional glass cars. With all the nice steel bodies available today that is the way I would go. At one time many years back I planned on building a deuce hiboy and considered a glass Westcott body. Then Brookville came along and the rest is history. Again do what fits your needs.

patmanta, Paul B, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

Love the El Mirage pics!

22. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Thank you, Ct1932ford.
    I think no one builds something what he does not like. On the other hand many start to build, what they can't afford...
    But that's a totaly other topic.
    ------------
    My interest was the definition "periodic correct".
    The guidelines of the Traditional Hot Rod Forum say:
    „The Traditional Hot Rod forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to period correct hot rods only.“
    see here >>>>
    So I only wanted to know the definition „periodic correct“, because I wonder that this engine and other things are periodic correct in definition.
    I’m from Germany and perhaps I only understand something wrong and you in the USA have another definition about „periodic correct“. Sorry. That was everything I wanted to know.
    I read this forum with big interest and I was very pleased how exact you make definitions about historic differences and that you build up some interessting guidelines to seperate
    • real historic rods
    • periodic correct rods
    • rods with modern components and fake look-a-like stuff.
    That's only what I wanted to know, because I thought according to your own guidelines this car is not periodic correct and not a traditional hot rod.
    But perhaps I’m wrong.
    So it would be a big help if someone could explain.

Stogy and poprivit like this.
  23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I did not know that posting anything but traditional rods here was taboo... i better shut up...

24. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

I think it's not a taboo.
    As far as I understand this forum "Traditional Hot Rods" is strictly for periodic cerrect rods.
    Fake rods should be posted in the Hokey Ass Message Board:
    „For any other thread types, please use the General Discussion forum located here >>>"

Stogy and Stormtron like this.
  25. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

26. F Y I. This post is on "The Hokey Ass Message Board". I don't go to the "Traditional Hot Rods" or the "Traditional Customs" forum's because I'm an Open minded Old School style car guy. I really like the Time Warp stuff but being I have been at it all my life and am 70 now I feel correct or right is subject to many different points of view. I also fully understand I don't think like today's new Old car guys. I do know what I like when I see it. There are just to many Blends to say one is Right and one is Wrong.
    Steffen, please post up some photos of what your building or driving. I think we'd enjoy seeing your version.
    The Wizzard

Steffen Jobst and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is rad. I would drive the piss out of it.

@Steffen Jobst is correct that the thread may be in the wrong area of the forum. All threads can be seen from the Hokey Ass Message Board view. The Traditional Hot Rod and Tradition Custom sub forums filter just those particular threads. The build thread I created for my avitar is not in the Traditional Hot Rod sub forum because it does not completely fit the guidelines of the sub forum (T5 and Bronco 9" for example).

Stogy and Steffen Jobst like this.
  28. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

You are actually in the "Traditional Hot Rods"
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-04 um 18.13.33.png

Sorry, my car is build year 1969 so I can not post it here.
    And I didn't wanted to start a general car culture discussion.
    Everybody should drive, build, buy what he wants.
    I only was irritated about the guidelines finding this car in this forum. Sorry, about that.

Ok, that I do understand.

29. Man this is getting a bit too complicated for this old guy!
    I think that the 30 posted here would be fine in traditional area because it looks the part. ( what the builder intended).
    Sorry to XwalkerX for this thread getting off subject.
    My roadster was done to be 50's period correct. My intent! I think I accomplished that. Bias Tires, No Billit stuff, etc. but it is a Brookville Body, does that eliminate me? Also it is 12 volts and I have an electronic module in my dist. My stock looking generator is actually a one wire alternator. But if you look at my roadster you would not know. I think it looks the part only better. So if anyone likes the traditional look and makes an attempt of achieving
    that end, good for them. Finally I come to this site (HAMB) to get away from all the seriousness of life. It is like when I go to my garage and no one can find me. It's an escape.
    I had started a thread a while back on "things that would never be on my hot rod" it was like four bar front ends, universal joints on steering shaft, disc brakes etc. I also said nothing wrong with these items- just not for me. It is all about what you remember from our youth. Anyway the thread was stopped and archived I guess because it was getting too controversial. I understand wanting clarification. But for me, if I do not like it, I don't have to look.
    My interpretation of traditional is going to be different than the next guy. Time to go to the garage.:rolleyes:

Steffen Jobst and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Sorry, I didn't want this thread going off topic.
    I only wanted some help to understand this "periodic correct" definition.
    -----
    "But for me, if I do not like it, I don't have to look."
    I like all cars. I have no problem with any car. I only wanted an explain on those guidelines.
    So if the conclusion is: There are guidelines but it's a hobby away from "seriousness of life" and no one cares about them that's also good to know.
    -----
    Sorry for the off topic. I will not post anymore something here.
    I understand now, that's all a fun thing and at the end you can do what you want.
    Cool.

------------
    @Pist-n-Broke I sended you some pics of my car.

ct1932ford likes this.