Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Old California guys Know this car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, May 11, 2009.

1. motorhead711

motorhead711

SAVE IT, SAVE IT, SAVE IT!!!! Go for it man. as quoted by Denunzio from Caddyshack....."Noonan.....You can do it!!"

2. Nerdbynight

Nerdbynight

It's obvious the guy isn't going to do anything with it. Someone go wave a wad of cash in his face! Hurry. And then update us!

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, hurry up before it's going over the sea to europe :)

4. Rikster

Rikster

I just got an email from the guy who has this car sitting on his property (not the owner) with a little update.

The cars owner was in a bad wreck and now in a rest-home.
    His son is making plans to take the car of the property and take it to a body shop... all I know.

Looks like at least the car will be finally moved inside.. and possibly worked on.
    Lets hope they will first stop the rust from eating it any further.. and then do a proper restoration.

5. madpole

madpole

it seems amazing these days that a car like that could be left sitting out like that. i am glad to hear it is going to be moved indoors and hopefully saved. kind of makes me sick seeing it being destroyed.

6. Death Trap13

Death Trap13

What a waste just to let it sit and rot away.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

better hope the son is not some rich dork with no taste and no sense of history.

8. roughneck424

roughneck424

Maybe he is a dork with not much money and when a body shop tells him what it will cost to restore it , he will be ready to sell it

9. Sean

Sean

As always Rikster, you amaze me! If you ever get to SF Bay and need a guide/host/custom taxi service, hit me up!

I hope that the son respects family tradition and restores this car to it's former state. I would rather see it crushed than come back to life as a small-block powered, pastel painted, five spoke rolling, billet laden, ugly mess!

10. Splinter

Splinter

OK, not to be an ass-hat, but when was car supposed to have been built? The fenders are dead ringers for Jag XK 120, but one of the previous posts said it was built in 1946, and the 120 was not available until late '48 or early '49. What gives? Did he see a pre-production photo of the 120 and copy the fenders, or did he hack up a (then) brand new, fairly exclusive sports car for a custom? Rikster? anyone?

11. Sean

Sean

12. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Wow almost makes me cry a 36 3 window ruined twice:D

13. Splinter

Splinter

Thanks, Sean. I stand corrected. On closer inspection, I guess they're not Jag. But ya gotta admit....They're pretty damn close!!!

Attached Files:

14. Rikster

Rikster

Yes the car was built in 1946... or at least it can be seen in photos that where taken in 1946. Perhaps it was even done before that. But right now I have no proof for that.

Below is a page from a Dan Post book which is published in 1947... the car can be seen in the center of the page.

[​IMG]

And also in this other 1947 Dan Post book...

[​IMG]

I have asked the guy who send me the update email to forward an email to him. So hopefully he will get in touch with me... and tells me his plans for the car.
    As soon as I know more... it will be posted here.

The guy who has (or had) the car on his property told me the fender extensions where all hand made and bolted to the body.

Here are two photos of Jimmy Summers shaping metal for a fade away panel on a 46 Chevy. Photos are from a 1947 Popular Mechanics magazine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the update rik, I was actually thinking about this car and thread as I was trying to go to sleep yesterday :)

16. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I cant believe this car has this kind of History,Who would of ever thought that this car could of wound up where it is out in very rual Ohio.Until this never heard of Jimmy Summers,Glad that I posted it and hope my friend where the car is gets back his health cause he is a fine man and friend to area hotrodders.First time I met him he took me a ride in his 33 willys got down the road after a few major burn outs he pulled over got out and pitched me the keys and told me it was my turn at first I was baby -in it He said hell dont baby it thats I said ok and comenced to set her sideways.He has been and still makes me glad to know him after 15 years

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. abone1930

abone1930

Awesome find, hopefully after it goes to the body shop it gets a good restore instead of just sitting there. Cool old custom :D

18. shainerman

shainerman

Awesome thread. Im glad to see its going to get some help. Thanks for posting Carlos!

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

This PROVES they're still out there. I'm glad its at least being looked at harder.
    You guys are the bomb with all the history and knowledge about automovia obscura.

20. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Please dont let his son take it to some body shop and let them ruin it... someone that knows what this car is needs it in thier shop!

21. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I agree with that

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

It looks bad but I have seen worse brought back with the right detemination

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

up date on jimmy summers car it will be restored article on this car in the back of this mounths good guys check it out if you get good guys

24. Shawn M

Shawn M

Thats good to hear, another piece of history saved!

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Can someone scan the article and post it in this thread??

26. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I ain't a good guy, so I hope somebody can scan it too :)

27. What one man can make, another man can make...only better if he puts his mind and heart into it.
    I hope this car ultimately winds up in the hands of someone who has the resources to properly restore it....maybe restore is the wrong term, but I think you know what I mean-make it look like it did right after it left Jimmy Summers' shop.
    Thank you for sharing this story and for keeping us updated Carlos-it loooks like this is all headed for a happily-ever-after-ending and again I really appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed. You may have done more to save the car than anyone else by making so many people aware of it!

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another victory for the HAMB.

Do we have a HAMB historian who can compile a list of all the historically significant cars that were either saved or given a better fate through the intervention and interest of the HAMB? Gotta believe that the contribution to automotive history is not insignificant.

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  29. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Awesome. Glad to hear that car is going to be rescued, it deserves it.

And I think it may be one of the prettiest custom '36 coupes I've ever seen. :confused: Maybe my signature is more accurate than I first thought. :rolleyes:

30. If their was one I'd nominate Rik Hoving aka Rikster...even Chuck Norris asks for Rik's help sometimes...but only sometimes.

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

http://www.tensionnot.com/jokes/chuck_norris_jokes/chuck_norris_facts

http://www.funnyandjokes.com/chuck-norris-facts.html

Sorry...don't know why, but I just had to do it...