Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back by popular demand! 55 chevy 2-door CONVERSION MANUAL!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CSU55Chevy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

here is mine so far ,can't help on 1/4 windows ,not that far yet. DSCN0310.JPG

2. LOVE THIS CAR

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin good, a stationary quarter window setup would be the answer for me.

4. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

The Canadian tri-5 Pontiacs were built on the Chev chassis so exactly the same wheelbase i'm sure lots of them also ended up in Alaska, Washington, Idaho and border states

If this is true then technically you should be able to use a 4 dr Chev frame...seems like if you had a Pontiac 2 dr. American or Cdn.( front 1/4's/door post, seat and doors) and a nice 4 dr. platform you'd be set ......

Terry-The-Toad likes this.
  5. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

[​IMG]
    nice work!

*By the way what does everyone do about the largish gap you end up with between the top of the door frame and roofline/drip molding area? on the stock two door it isn't a welded seam, there is a thin gap and some sort of seam sealer I think

Stogy likes this.
  6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I use the new panel adhesive a lot ,I will fill that up with it when I get to the bondo stage. Too much trouble to weld and for me its a lot quicker. I think seam sealer would probably work to.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  7. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Hey Tex, you're the one gave me the idea!! I hope you're diggin' Arizona, and bein' a Dad. I'm sure it's hotter than hell down there right now! Was watching your deuce coupe there for a while that thing is cool man. Thanks again!! Kevin

8. 72Nova427

72Nova427

Stogy and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  9. 72Nova427

72Nova427

What is the smaller panel with the dip under the window frame about?

10. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Oh, that....so I had to cut that square piece out and move it back about an inch so an original 210 2-door belt molding would fit. Had to be big cuz there’s a lot of contour there. Made the finish work a little easier. Sorry slow reply been a while.

11. 72Nova427

72Nova427

Thanks! One more silly question, that 3 to 4 inch strip running up and down at the leading edge of the new "skin" right under that dip repair?

benchseat4speed likes this.
  12. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

No sweat dude you’re welcome to it. So when I ‘deskinned’ the rear doors, I did it on the inside. Meaning, I left the spot welded seam where fisher body rolled the outer skin over the inner shell and spot welded em together around the edge. I could’ve cut that seam off and welded the skin right to the b-pillar, but there’s a lot of meat there (triple wall, in a sense) and that seam adds a little more strength to the finished panel. All that metal gives more room for error too when you’re welding it up. Plus, cutting that off I’d have to round the lower corner to fill the front of the rear door opening. Leaving that door edge intact at the front, I just butt welded that together like I was welding the door shut. I could’ve made that cut anywhere to shorten the door skin, but I made it as close to the b-pillar as possible to minimize warpage.

13. 72Nova427

72Nova427

Thank you! Now it's make perfect sense.

14. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Wow!! The 55 - 57 chevy is one of my dream cars "55". The 2 door post has been just out of price range or not for sale.
    But with this information I have something new to look for.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Maybe dreams do come true!!!

Old wolf likes this.
  15. 72Nova427

72Nova427

Thinking of a twist. Leaving the small pillar at the quarter window and using a smaller version of the door window that functions. Cutting my front door and stretching it to fit a 2 door, door skin and retaining the 4 door B pillar.

16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 4 door B-pillar and the 2 door B-pillar are in different place's. What you are talking about would result in 2 stubby-ass'd quarter window's on each side

17. 72Nova427

72Nova427

I'm aware. Once it's all painted black it won't be that noticeable going to down the strip.