Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BANGER WIZARD IN LAS VEGAS....NEEDED!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2FORCEFULL, Apr 15, 2024.

1. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

Been chasing a oil leak on my Model A banger motor , and it just seems to be worse every time it gets messed with... it my opinion that the main seal is bad...I've had the pan off 3 times already .. so looking for a guy that knows these engines and can stop the leak.... is there such a wizard that knows the tricks needed to stop this leak??? I seen where the wizards cut groves in the main bearing that sends the oil to the pan... so the pressure doesn't squirt out of the engine...my pump has adjustable oil pressure valve and I've turned it way down... but it still leaks...seems to me as big of a town as vegas is there would be a banger shop that does this kind of repairs... or a guy that does it as a side hustle.. I' know a couple guys in the A club...but I don't know any to change out a rear main.. I have 6 project rods going right now, just had carple surgery on the left hand, and have to have the right done and feel like a one armed paper hanger....Can anyone help???

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  2. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

Oh, and I'm not talking a drip.... there's a football size puddle on the garage floor after driving across town and back

3. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

Does your rear main bearing cap have the larger drain tube?
    I believe the larger tubes are 3/8 inch and original tubes were 5/16

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Tow Truck Tom and Hotrodmyk like this.
  4. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

When I bought the car, it had a leak.... I dropped the pan and put a new gasket... still leaks... as I learned more I noticed it didn't have the drain tube.... and the wizards of A's all said that was the problem... so off came the pan and the correct tube bought from Synders installed....hell yeah, leak will be gone...Nope ... it's worse than it was to start... another wizard of A's said that HI PO Bangers need reliefs cut in the rear main bearing to let the oil back in the pan side and not out the motor... she's running strong right now and rolling in the throttle from a start will squeal the 7.50's and chirp them on the 2nd gear shift, no gps but , I think I'm getting a 7 number in over drive top end... the 7 to one head made all the difference matched to the 2 to 1 header and dual lake pipes.. running 43 jets in the speedway 9 super 7 carb... I think theres still more in there, bottom and mid range she pulls hard, rolls over early headed to the top... the little banger flat pumps some air out of the lake pipes... IMG_8809[8525].jpg

5. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

I love your setup
    Is the leak static or does is primarily leak after or during driving?

2FORCEFULL likes this.
  6. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

not sure on the meaning of static??? but, it'll set and run in the garage and not leak, but soon as you drive it a short way it starts a constant drip... it's like Hansel and Gretal, you can follow the drips home...

I also have a ton of work to do, and would like to farm some out where all I have to do is pay the bill...
    I'm north of 70 and have burried myself in projects that I'll never see done if I don't gets some help...

I'm trying to recover from a bad gambling addiction so I took on a bunch of projects...LOL... now I go to the bar and gamble to get away from all the work I need to get done...I've lived in vegas since 1957 and never gambled till about 5 years ago.... I can sit at the bar for 10-12 hrs and seem like it was only 1 hour

Outback and winduptoy like this.
  7. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

I'm also reworking a woodie...trying to un streetrod it....one piece at a time...then there's the hot rod- gow'd hack job.... got a cool idea for the exhaust if I ever get that far... gotta build the body first...... got the other hack ready to plant as yard art in kanab utah... what a scary ass ride a stock Model T is... those old grammas had bigger balls than me to drive those... the 3 pedals, and the shifter E brake is the best anti-theft ever,,, oh and then there's the mechanical brakes.... only on the rear.....lol..

8. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

if I can't find someone I wouldn''t mind finding a kid that wants to be a mechanic and learn about the old stuff.... he could be as green as the pay and learn something....I live in the northwest of vegas and have a shop at my house...

Outback and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The A motor doesn't have a "rear main seal"
    It is a drain down affair with a slinger and the drain tube as noted.
    Crankcase pressure will add to the leak (high compression head) as well as loose babbitt in the crank
    They will also leak out the rear main between the cap and the block...past the shims. The main cap is half inside the oil pan and half outside.
    Babbitt in the rear main cap, blocking the drain will make one leak
    The main cap bolts will leak oil too if they aren't sealed
    A plugged oil fill cap will make the crankcase pressurize and blow oil out the rear main.
    A Model A likes to mark it's territory.
    The drain tube needs to be under the oil level in the pan or the crankcase pressure will blow the oil back up the tube and out the back of the rear main. Overfill the oil by half a quart and pull the oil fill cap and go for a drive to see if there is any difference
    The crankshaft can be modified to accept a 'modern' lip seal but that involves removing a portion of the slinger to accept the lip seal....so it has a place to ride on.
    This is a full engine tear down....well maybe not cam and lifters...
    I suspect that if you pull the cap you will find the babbitt is broken....that will make them leak too There is a great likely hood this is the case....but you sound like you are lucky so maybe not

10. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

the motor has insert bearings...I ran it with the breather cap off... still leaks... wish you were in vegas.. I need to find someone to fix this if possible..

winduptoy likes this.
  11. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

oop's,... the motor is a "B" banger...maybe 33-34

Tow Truck Tom and winduptoy like this.
  12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I would drop the pan and check the drain back tube. If it is clogged or has fallen off it can do this very thing easily.

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The B motor is the same as far as the rear main is concerned....slinger and drain as stock configuration. There is a possibility, if it has inserts, that it has had the crankshaft modified to accept the "Bertz modern seal". They are tricky to get installed and not have leak. I have a whole stupid procedure that involves the alignment of the sun and moon as well. If you place 5-10 psi air on your drain tube, I use a piece of rubber tubing to a adjustable pressure regulator, that will reveal the source of the leak right away....at that pressure the only air escaping should be out the oil galley.
    Sorry I'm not in Las Vegas and you have 5 cars, 3 A's and 2 T's, in front of you at the moment...plus my own stuff

14. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

just finished droping the pan and putting the drain tube in..still leaks.... what about the cam bearing???

15. Budget36

Budget36

For onsite help , maybe look through folks locations in the “Monthly banger” thread. Might be someone close enough to assist.

SS327 and 2FORCEFULL like this.
  16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

That would be a higher up leak to even spot it you would have to split the motor and trans.

I am guessing your leak is pouring out of the bottom of the Bellhousing?

winduptoy and 2FORCEFULL like this.
  17. 29Sleeper

29Sleeper
    from SoCal

About 8:10 there is some oil leak causes -
    I'm surprised no one in the local A Club can help. http://www.vegasmodela.com/
    The B engine supplied oil under low pressure to the mains. The A relied on oil flowing down from the valve chamber to oil the mains. The B used a larger diameter oil fill tube that helped reduce oil coming out there.
    I like your headers. Whose are they?
    Owning a Model A requires that you buy the oil that will look best on your driveway..

Outback, winduptoy, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  18. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

the headers are mine...my son made them at our shop...

winduptoy likes this.
  19. Any chance someone forgot the gasket between the block and the flywheel housing and the oil is coming out from the rear of the cam?

Charlie Stephens

20. alchemy

alchemy

21. RodStRace

RodStRace

Gonna have to remember that one.

22. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

very very possible....

23. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

24. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

sum ting wong.....

let it sit and run for 30 or so minutes... basket ball puddle

upload_2024-4-15_16-9-30.jpeg upload_2024-4-15_16-9-30.jpeg

25. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

A picture of the rear main cap may show a possible cause
    need to see the insert side as well as the bottom side

26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attention @Hitchhiker
    Maybe you can help this guy out with some of your expert Knowledge!
    Thanks from Dennis.

27. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

just had hand surgery... so no tranny pull'n.....lol did I just type that

28. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

No need to get a tranny involved
    just need to pull the pan and drop the rear main cap
    hope your hand heals quickly

Outback likes this.
  29. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

had the left elbow and hand done, soon as it heals enough to wipe my ass with the left hand, they're doing the right side..

SS327 likes this.