Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boyd in very bad shape. No jokes please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony

Such sad, sad new's...
    He and his family are in my thought's and prayers..

2. swilly572

swilly572

not a big fan of his style, but who cares, he is still a hot rodder. My prayers to the family!

3. From one hot rodder to another... wishing him peace and comfort.

Sam.

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Though I don't currently like his "style", I had a folder with ShaZoom on it in 3rd grade. I thought it was the most beautiful thing and that helped plant the seed. Hope he is OK.

5. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

A true innovator. Godspeed, Boyd.

6. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Sad news, hope he pulls through. Cadzilla was one of my favourites in high school.

7. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

To all of the family and All at the shop And to Boyd i wish you a GET WELL SOON.
    I wish i had his skills

Dave

8. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

boyd,
    my thoughts and prayers are with you, and your family, and your employees.
    dan

9. Cadzilla was (hell, still is) one of my favorite cars ever built.

Get well big fella

10. The Shocker

The Shocker

Never been a fan of his style of hotrods, but i am sorry to hear about him being in bad shape.He was definatly talented at what he did and made his mark doing it ...

11. LDGn63

LDGn63

God bless you Boyd.

12. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

As I read this thread I can't help but notice that a lot of you feel that you need to comment on whether or not you like Boyd's "style". I just don't think that this is the time for a critique. I know this is a traditional forum but what do you say we just give the man his due and keep the prayers coming for him and his family without the opinions about his cars. He has done a lot for us directly and indirectly and I wish him the best.

Get well soon.

mikeallcars likes this.
  13. 59 brook

59 brook

get well wishes and i do respect his talent very much

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Cadzilla is one of my all-time favorite cars - love it or hate it.

Thoughts for the hawaiian shirt wearing bearded dude...

15. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

hes a car guy. car guys stick togrther. thoughts and prayers

16. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Here is a car that Boyd and Lil John both had a part in, 1985, that made a lasting impression on me. Thoughts go out to both of you.

Although the Kolmos Phaeton hot rod was built for Chino, California's Bob Kolmos in 1985, the idea started years earlier when he and John Buttera (who grew up together in Kenosha, Wisconsin) attended the 1976 Street Rod Nationals. Kolmos reflected: "I had a '34 Tudor sedan that I just sold, and Buttera suggested, 'Why don't you do a highboy tub?'"

Kolmos didn't want a four-door rod, so Buttera recommended using a roadster cowl with a Tudor sedan body minus the roof. Kolmos liked the idea, but when he couldn't find a sedan body for a reasonable price, he opted for a fiberglass Deuce roadster body.

[​IMG]

Kolmos ­wanted Buttera to build the car, but by the time he had gathered the parts to build the roadster, Buttera was too busy building Indy cars. So, he referred Kolmos to an up-and-coming rod builder named Boyd Coddington.

Coddington liked the original concept and took it upon himself to make it happen. He found a steel Tudor sedan body, swapped it for the fiberglass roadster body, and had Thom Taylor sketch his vision for a body style Ford had never offered.

Coddington and his crew extensively modified the sedan body, cutting new, roadster-style doors. To achieve what has become Coddington's signature smooth, simple look, Scott Knight fabricated a three-piece aluminum hood, a rear rolled pan, a full bellypan, a bowed aluminum top, and the entire rear body panel.

Coddington mounted the new body on a set of aftermarket frame rails that he pinched in front. Buttera lent his expertise by fabricating an aluminum independent front suspension much like he had for his '26 T sedan. A Halibrand quick-change with coil-over shocks was installed out back.

17. forty1

forty1

ttarver:"As I read this thread I can't help but notice that a lot of you feel that you need to comment on whether or not you like Boyd's "style". I just don't think that this is the time for a critique. I know this is a traditional forum but what do you say we just give the man his due and keep the prayers coming for him and his family without the opinions about his cars. He has done a lot for us directly and indirectly and I wish him the best.

Get well soon."
    Very well put,..He IS owed his due, from all whom he helped , built for, or who's careers he fostered...
    nuf said.
    -41-

18. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

I have always been impressed that he and his wife would DRIVE across the country in one of his cars. Many could take a lesson. Thoughts and prayers for Boyd and Family.

J.

19. 31DAN

31DAN

Boyd, you and your family are in my thought's and prayers..hope all goes well....May God look over you!
    Dan

20. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

I wish him and his family the best but, having worked for him, he caused so much grief to many people.No one wishes bad towards anyone but he needs to do some soul searching.The "famous" are supported by the worker bee's, period.If you don't agree,fine.Boyd owes so much to the people who helped him make lots of money and he spit in their face.I know,I was there.Ego is ugly.

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

As one human being to another I will pray for Boyd and I wish him and his family the best, after all he is somebodies Dad, Husband, Brother, ETC:
    GODSPEED BOYD...

22. " If he has Cirrhosis ,(usual liver complaint) his days are indeed numbered . There being no cure for this deadly alchohol caused ailment "

I mean nothing personal towards the member who write this as I'm certain he means well but let's be mindeful that Cirrhosis can be caused by many health ailments such as Diabetese. A person need never even have taken a drink in his life. A collective saddness is felt for Boyd's condition, we owe it to him to mind our words and pay respect. Sorry,I felt the need to express this.

23. Cshabang

Cshabang

as with all our "hot rod family" that are not doing the best. My prayers are going to the big guy...maybe because I'm getting older, but it seems like more and more of us are ill, or passing...not a good sign, makes me think. get well guys

24. eye bone

eye bone

That's right you can get if you're not careful… from many chemicals involved in painting Hotrods.

25. Met Boyd & Jo Coddington a year ago when he came up to the Abbotsford Custom Indoor Show in British Columbia. They signed autographs and fans could have their picture taken with them also. They were very hospitable and were genuinely interested in our hot rod projects as well.
    We pray that he makes it through this illness.

26. sledish

sledish

Come on Boyd, fight through this, Prayers to you and your family.

27. Wow...hate to hear it...all who create a name for themselves in any industry have critics and those who give them praise...but you have to recognize his staying power, trends he was involved in setting...shoot I saw him in October at Pomono with his guys selling off odds and ends...was hospitable and seemed okay...hope he pulls through...prayers sent

28. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Prayers out for Boyd, he sure would leave an empty spot in the hotrod world.

29. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I to live down the road from Boyd. I have run into him at the market as well as at local resturants. although he is loud he is a legend who has brought much to our hobby. Wish him and his family the best paryers go out to him and the family

30. Like a few here.. I have slid in the Boyd joke or two.. They were directed at the "American Hot Rod" Boyd.. I met Boyd in the 70's thru Chuck Lombardo.. That Boyd and the american hot rod Boyd are two different people. I have a ton of respect for the man. There is no way I could ever discount this mans talent. I've seen his "hands on" work and it is class.

I wish Boyd and Lil John the best for a speedy recovery. Prayers from the Tumbleweed crew to Boyd and Lil John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.