Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You'll need those brakes when you leave here. With a little practice you can coast the whole 4 miles to the highway. Run two stop signs and you can coast to the bar. :eek:

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you!

Thank ya—still thinking about how good it will look parked in front of Town Topic. town-topic-inc-sandwich.jpg

Yes! I should have taken pictures, but we were wrapping things up for the day. For the seals, it's critical to apply even force throughout as you install them. David had a special set of flat aluminum discs of various dimensions. When we found one that matched the seal, we carefully hammered it in until the top of it reached the bottom of the snap ring groove.

For the ring itself, the key is to grind down both ends to match. Stock, one angles in and one angles out. They should both angle in, as highlighted on the unmodified ring below. This will help with removal down the line.
    Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 12.49.25 PM.png The next major thing is to have a notched screwdriver. You can make this out of any large, flat-bladed screwdriver. Notching the middle lets you get a better grip on the snap ring as you guide it in.

Thank you! This is our year. I want to get this car on the road!

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

We're getting there!

You've got it figured out! Good thing all four brakes are vented!

Six Ball, 41 GMC K-18 and winduptoy like this.
  5. Jeff34

Jeff34

Thanks for the detailed information. SOOO helpful. So grind them like this...
    upload_2024-3-29_15-56-35.png

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Interesting. Lets see the screw drivers

and I’ve got a whole list of places that car would look great in front of, we’ll do a shop/ land mark/ food tour. It’ll be a blast :)

winduptoy, J.Ukrop, Woogeroo and 2 others like this.
  7. RodStRace

RodStRace

Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes! I'll check next time I go out to the garage to confirm/get a picture.

Sounds good. I'll take a picture of the screwdriver next time I'm at David's!

Outback, Six Ball, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  9. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @J.Ukrop
    Thank you very much for the kick ass post card with yours and David's roadsters parked in front of the Marin County Civic Center.
    Pardon the lines that showed through from the postal distribution machine.
    Thanks from Dennis.

roadster postcard.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm on a flight back from the East Coast, and the Delta wifi seems to be pretty strong. You know what that means? Thread update time. IMG_1328.jpg
    I realized that in my brake post, I failed to include a finished shot. I'm waiting on castle nuts for the backing plate bolts, but I believe they should be at the house when I return later tonight. Note the chrome hardware for the wheel cylinders. Once I have the backing plates and grease shields installed, I just need to torque everything to spec, add cotter pins, and then the front end will be finished. I'll be painting the drums this week.

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Tomorrow is the first day of April, and that means we're really heading into spring (my favorite season). It seems like there's something to do every weekend, so I figured I'd share some upcoming events here. Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 11.42.18 PM.png
    On Sunday, April 14, I'm planning a mini reliability run down to the All Ford Parts swap meet in Campbell, California. I've never driven the roadster down this way, so it should make for a fun day.

The following weekend, I'll be keeping things local at the third-annual George Washington High School car show in San Francisco. It's 0.2 miles from my garage and, if it's clear, we'll get a great view of the bridge.

At the end of the month, I'll be at the Pasadena Roadster Club Reliability Run, but more on that later! If you're going to any of these, please let me know—I'd love to meet up. In the meantime, I'll be chipping away at 2.0 on the Terrace.

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Joey, in that latest picture, the backing plate nuts and the shackle nuts are castle and pin. You might want to trim down the shock stud and drill it to match.
    [​IMG]

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The black and white is kinda making me think of the faded yellow and black roadster bob bleed did as a flip a few years back.

Loving it

14. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Looking very good man. Where did you get the brake hose covers?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I love that idea. Right now, the plan is to either use chrome acorn nuts or nylocs with chrome acorn covers.

For sure! Bob Bleed has it figured out!

Thank you! The brake hose covers came from eBay. I ran a similar setup on my Triumph and I knew I had to do the same on the roadster. IMG_1453.jpeg

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1451.jpeg
    Last night, I prepped the front drums for paint while watching what’s considered one of the worst movies of all time: “Rock and Roll Wrestling Women vs. The Aztec Mummy.” The critics were right—it wasn’t very good. Nonetheless, I’ll be spraying some primer on these later today!

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Never heard of that one. Sounds bad! Thought Plan 9 From Outer Space was the worst.
    Don't try to church it up, this thing is Joe Dirt. :D
    Just run the real fasteners, unless you're going to apply show level White to it all. Pretty soon, it's going to have Billet zerk fittings and hidden valve stems!

HemiDeuce, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

“Rock and Roll Wrestling Women vs. The Aztec Mummy.”

sounds like something that would come out of @porknbeaner ’s mouth lol

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

“Rock and Roll Wrestling Women vs. The Aztec Mummy.” Really? Sounds like April Fools to me. There was an incredibility bad horror movie made in Virginia City that would be a great one to watch when you have to pay attention to something else.

The Godmonster of Indian Flats: https://tubitv.com/movies/499939/godmonster-of-indian-flats

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    41 GMC K-18, J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What's this dreadful metric bolt doing on this fine car?
    Quick, stomp on it and squish it before it lays eggs!

upload_2024-4-2_21-51-55.png

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just you wait until you see the new tweed interior I'm going to install.

hahahaha

I'll have to check that one out (or not?)

Hahahhah only on the H.A.M.B.! Great eye! Those are some of the few reproduction parts on this car. My brother and I had a good laugh about that the other night on the phone. Don't worry, they'll get taken care of!

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1504.jpg
    Only a little bit of progress this week. I did also receive my torque tube bearing, gasket, snap ring, etc., in the mail, so I'm excited to take on that project soon.

23. Looking good, what year constitutes an early steering column?

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just make sure it has teal AND pink.
    [​IMG]

41 GMC K-18 and Woogeroo like this.
  25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Color sample chart to mull over.
    735 screen saver.JPG

Outback likes this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The Rainbow Roadster from San Francisco? :rolleyes:

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was a screen saver on a computer monitor at a parts store, from about 10 years ago, shot the photo with my cell phone.

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1545.jpg
    This weekend, I took a much-needed break from the real world to join my friends on their annual spring motorcycle trip. I left the city after work on Friday, which made for a very cold night on the road once the sun had set. By the time I made it to camp, the temperature was in the 30s. Two days and 400 trouble-free miles later, I'm back on the Terrace feeling exhausted but grateful.

My Harley is a throwback to my pre-roadster days. It's an old Bay Area survivor bike, but I've been through everything with the exception of the bottom end of the motor. I've been riding it for the past seven years. It's far from perfect, but it's like a member of the family. As I was making my way down Highway 1, shifting gears and listening to the exhaust, I was imagining doing the exact same thing in Version 2.0. Soon.

All good things take time, and this bike and my roadster are no exceptions. When I got back into town, I immediately swapped two wheels for four. I jumped in my roadster and drove to lunch and then the hardware store. The sun was out, so I finished up a little bit of brake drum painting in the afternoon. I have some fun pieces of the project planned for this week, so stay tuned!

29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

How good is it to slip from one mode of transportation that you love to another, sounds like a real fun weekend

Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  30. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Bronson.jpg Then came Bronson.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024