Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects California Car Cover Company fail

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Feb 8, 2024.

1. SDS

SDS

Anyone have any recent experience with California car cover company? I've always gotten covers from them, but recently received one that doesn't fit my 32 Ford roadster - It's super tight over the radiator cap and side mirrors, but very loose over the rear wheels. The cover doesn't cover my gas tank or rear frame horns at all.
    I've tried to call and emailed them several times over the past 4 weeks but can't get any response - sucks after shelling out 600 bucks for a new cover.

PXL_20240128_201823919.jpg PXL_20240128_201842706.jpg
    PXL_20240116_021407765.jpg
    PXL_20240116_021413505.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

In my opinion their quality wasn't so good 25 years ago, Best to have one custom made to order

Airborne34 likes this.
  3. Yes and they suck. I have a cover for my '41 p/u and its a little too short in the bed, but I was lucky and had an extra skirt put on before I bought it. The stitching likes to dissolve in the sun and they don't return emails or call......yet the automated emails for sales still show up (and the cover WAS under warranty).

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sealskincovers.com

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Is it a model A cover? Just a thought.

6. Blake 27

Blake 27

California Car Co. measured my car at Pleasanton, the cover was delivered a few weeks later and fit perfectly.
    It's held up for years without any issues. DSC05014.JPG I'd buy another one without a second thought.

HEMI32 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  7. RodStRace

RodStRace

You asked for recent, so sorry, but...
    My experience from decades ago was like yours. Didn't fit, Tried to get a proper replacement. Co. was terrible to communicate with and hell to return. Hated those ads on the back of the rod mags after that and have continued to relay this experience ever since. Ef 'em.

8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I will agree with the “does not fit” guys. I ordered a cover for one of my cars and they installed the side mirror pockets near the “C” pillar!! I called them on it and they said that is how their pattern had them. I now buy direct from CoverCraft, they are a manufacturer not a middleman like CCC.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I did the same, they measured my car at Pleasanton, and I ended up building 8 more like it, (Track Roadsters). So the we just gave them the number off the front of the cover, and they built at least 5 more, and they fit great !

HEMI32 and Blake 27 like this.
  10. SDS

SDS

How would I ever know? They don't answer my calls and don't return my emails.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I use car covers indoors only, so I buy them on Amazon. I had good luck fit fit, they fit ok not great but for 60 bucks or so it’s good enough. Just like my t shirts a little big is better than a little small.

Jibs, Mr48chev, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

When you purchase a car cover from CCC for a Deuce roadster there are several types you can choose from. By the looks of your cover it was made for a car with a rolled rear pan and not a stock tank location. Did you answer the several questions required for a Deuce roadster cover? My cover fits great.

Mr48chev and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-2-9_6-10-8.png

NO FAIL

Hello,

Your photo of the roadster with the cover has loose space material in the back. If your roadster had a top that was folded after lowering to the deck, then the cover with the extra material would fit perfectly. It is all in the application. Perhaps you got the one for folded tops and not flat surface, with just a top of the deck or seat to cover.
    upload_2024-2-9_6-11-0.png

Jnaki

We needed to cover our two daily drivers from the outside weather near the ocean. We were in a carport and the cars were constantly getting any moisture blowing up the canyon walls from the ocean every afternoon and night.

The moisture and fog are relentless as to their power moving inland when it gets cooler. We washed a lot and also, waxed a lot until we got a cover for my wife’s little sporty car and then finally, one for the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery .

The one thing we did not do was to put the cover(s) on a dirty car. At least we wiped it off with a cleaner soft towel, then put on the cover. That was a lot to do but our cars were always clean as they could be. If one of us came home late, then the car stayed uncovered until the next day. Our friends and family always commented that our family cars were always clean and shiny. We took care of our cars as if they were the “kids” that constantly need attention.

The cost was relative. For lowering the constant washing/wiping off after driving through fog or mist, it was worth the effort to have a car cover. The one thing the cover for the sedan delivery was made so we could run a cable lock underneath and into the secure/protected holes, after pulling the flaps inward/underneath the car.

I rigged up a stretch cord to bring the rear and front flaps pulled into the locking mechanism, too. So, the complete cover for the sedan delivery was wrapped around and down near the tires. So any extra material added to the coverage with extra stretch cords for a tighter cover.

At least, the fog and moisture would have to search around for a space to come inside and attack the chrome or paint. When we traveled with either car, the locking mechanism added to the security of leaving the cars outside of a resort hotel parking place or backwoods cabin.

It was worth the cost. It did not matter if the car underneath was 10 years old or relatively new. They both got the best cover we could get for our two cars. It is not the longevity of the car, the warranty or not, it is the protection value and the less effort of what we had to do to keep family cars nice, shiny and clean.

Note:

Car ports are notorious for little to no protection, other than direct sun. But, with a car cover on a clean car, then you are a step ahead of keeping your car/roadster protected. Use the extra material and stretch it out with stretch cords for a tighter fit. Adapt and it will work out for you. YRMV

Attached Files:

14. SDS

SDS

The car is only stored inside, so the cover is mostly for dust (dont want dust/etc. scoring the semi-gloss paint). I also intend to use the cover if I get stuck in the rain at a cruise or other.
    I actually ordered this cover for a 32 highboy roadster with a top, talked the details out with their rep over the phone (the one time I was actually able to get a human on the phone).
    The 2 biggest problems are that the back isn't nearly long enough - it's impossible to stretch it and get it to over the gas tank and/or frame horns. It doesn't fit right over the rear wheels and is VERY tight on the radiator cap. it also appear to need mirror pockets (though their rep explicitly said I shouldn't need those).
    I just disputed the charge with the CC company and will send this dog back. Hoping to check out Cover Craft and/or Seal Skin Covers.

15. If they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and your not satisfied.... I would find their Instagram and FB accounts and call them out on the comment and email customer service.

My wife had the same issue fell short on a small car, we changed to Budge, they have more options and much cheaper. Then ate the money for the CC Cover. and moved on.

FYI CCC gets their covers made at COVER CRAFT. So its going to be the same fit.

16. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

My CCC cover was purchased over 20 years age for my full fendered 2" chopped roadster with no bumpers. I fits the top really tight and the sides are short and do not fully cover the running boards, the front and back is like a saggy diaper like it should have bumpers. I have lived with is since it is only used in my garage. Years before, I ordered a cover for one of my OT cars from Beverly Hills Car Covers and it fit like a glove. Lesson learned.

17. SDS

SDS

To make along story short, after I disputed the charge with my credit card company and got a refund, CCCC returned my call and offered to make me another cover with a different pattern. I declined and sent the ill-fitting cover back.

I'm hoping to re-invigorate this thread by asking for advice/recommendations for a cover.
    My 32 Ford roadster is a hi-boy with full frame horns front/rear and a stock gas tank. I don't currently have a top, but plan to get a bop-top or similar. My rear view mirrors are attached to the windshield posts.
    I'm looking for a cover to keep dust off in the garage AND to throw on if it starts raining while I am out with it.

In the mean-time, I have a cheap cover on it (that I happened to have in my basement) to keep the dust off.

Thanks~

19Eddy30 likes this.
  18. Im to the point where it best to have a cover made, perhaps by an upholstery shop.

two of the cars live outside and both have soaked up rain thought the cover on really wet days.
    Im in SoCal. The CC will only have made it 2 years I beleive, the Budge is just so so.

Has anyone made their own covers or had someone make the covers, for outdoor or dust indoor??

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one of their cotton (like jeans material) and flannel inside for my 56 Ford Victoria and it’s been perfect for 10 years. I get ads from them ever month or so… I just delete them.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never owned a rig that I felt I needed to put a car cover on but several friends who ordered covers from them at shows with the car right there for them to measure and check off the boxes have had great luck with them over the years and the ones that took the time to go step by step in the fill out the order form correctly have had good luck. They even added special pockets for my buddy's outside mirrors when they did his. Just as with almost everything else the quality now may not be what it was then.

21. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

Stupid question, but ever reverse the cover? I assume you did, obviously. Just seems like extra proportions in the back on the pictures. Pictures on the internet leave a lot to the imagination when you're not doing it in person.

22. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Thumbs Up!!

23. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

They are the only car cover that my dad and I have ever used. We never had any issues with them and I always make sure to talk to a tech and tell them all the exterior options like continental kits, grill and trunk guards, mirrors that the vehicles have so they always fit and no problems. And I never had any issues with the longevity of them both the inside of the garage cars or the carport cars.

24. You're not buying a suit at the tailors, you're covering a car. If it covers the car it works doesn't it?

Bugguts, Cosmo49 and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. I’ve been using a one for a Tri-5 Chevy for about 30 years on several different cars. Still in pretty good shape.

Just Gary likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$150 free shipping from Amazon. Said it fits a 40/41 pickup, it does.
    upload_2024-3-26_13-34-30.jpeg
    upload_2024-3-26_13-34-58.jpeg

Just Gary and SDS like this.
  27. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As I mentioned in my original post, there are 10 options for a '32 Ford Roadster. If you check the right boxes you shouldn't have a problem. If you call them and just order a top for a generic '32 Roadster it won't fit properly. The CCC cover for my deuce hi-boy fits great.

Just Gary likes this.
  28. SDS

SDS

For $400-600, it better fit like a tailored suit...at least cover everything.

2OLD2FAST and Just Gary like this.
  29. SDS

SDS

As i mentioned, I DID call them to order and mentioned all of the details (including the 1" stretched wheelbase front, dual rear view mirrors and full frame-rails with stock gas tank). The cover fit like multiple of those options were omitted. If it even came close to fitting, I'd have worked with them - it was WAY off.

30. 1929rats

1929rats

I have two of them and really like the fit and finish. I was planning on buying another as well.