Register now to get rid of these ads!

chrome powder coatin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody1958, Jan 26, 2011.

1. sonicweb

sonicweb

Thanks for the compliments. The chrome powder is without a clear over it (yet)...

Engine Man, I am not going to be pushing snow with any of my 235 parts so I think I am safe... I'd stay away from a powder coated plow, or powder coated steel wheels here in the salt belt. (if I were driving my cars in the snow but I don't.) For cars that are driven in the warm weather and not kept in the elements, I am sure it's fine and will last quite a while. I have a set of Corvette Rallys that I powder coated red. Sat in the elements here in Wisconsin for 2 years (snow, salt, rain, sun) they faded a little (red looking more like orange) but...still holding up great....and it's the crappy Harbor Freight Red powder!

Problem is most commercially applied powder coating from a manufacturer doesn't have the level of care that goes into the prep work as we would do. If it did, your plow would cost way more than what you had paid. I have a 2 stage Candy Blue valve Ford 351 valve cover that I did a while back. It isn't perfect...anyone want to see that? (chrome base with candy blue power over it)

2. Bullyboy

Bullyboy

chrome powder without clear

[​IMG]

With clear
    [​IMG]

It holds up pretty good to everyday driving.

3. Most of the chromes on the market are single stage and they mostly shine like that by itself...buuuut, to make it weather durable, it will have to have a layer of powdered clear over it.
    powdered chrome waterspots and dulls crazy fast w/o clear.

4. not the drifter dude, but can say from experience, tiger-drylac makes a wicked wet black. serious reflection

5. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

Check Jay Lenos garage. There's a segment about spray on chrome...two guys from Germany came up with it I think. Don't know about the durability...but it's worth takin' a look at. I think you just go on Jay Lenos garage and punch in spray on crome. Check it out...I was impressed.

6. Can you clear lacquer over the chrome power coat?Some of the clear lacquers are pretty free of tinting.

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I would use a 2 part water base clear coat like the one use on floors, it will be the least of clears that will cause dulling, and its about as durable as 2k urethanes, just dont say you use floor paint as people will ask too much questions...:eek:

here a water base clear was used on a chrome painted spoon, and chrome paint is the most sensitive paints of all, if you clear it using regular clear it will destroy the chrome effect, so you can see that watter based clears have the least of dulling effect
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011