Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dare to be different - 63 Scout

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon

I made comment to this little monster on the intro page and recieved a bit of encouragement to provide some pictures. I hope it works.

Here's the history. The scout was built in the early 70's way up here in the great white north by Jim Pratt and street raced a ton. (And I mean a ton !!) It had a 426 Hemi set back 10 inches and rides on a Econoline drop axle and an Olds rear w 5:13s. The beast turned 12's way back when and was rumored to have hit the 10's with decent rubber. The truck was featured in the 1973 Hot Rod Year book where the name Elephant Hunter was pinned on it. (it stuck) The ironic part is that this book was the very first car magazine I ever owned. The truck made a 30 year impression on me and I never forgot about it. in fact I kept the book to this day. The Scout kicked around a few owners who drove / raced it then it languished beside a number of garages for 20+ years. This is when I found it and let fate take it's course. The Hemi is long gone (sniff) and the brakes and rear end are very dated. Rather than return it to it's former glory (And because I can't afford a new hemi) I'm dropping in what I have, which is a solid cam, 377 sbc with edelbrock heads and an old school hilborn injection. The rear is being replaced with a 4:56 Dana 60 with comp engineering ladder bars. I have tracked down a set of Ansens front and rear so the stance and look will be virtually identical to the original build.
    I plan on pounding on this thing and having a ton of fun. Hope you all think it's cool. I sure do. I'll have build pictures once it hits a state I'm willing to make public.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

sounds like an awesome idea the old pics look great. im sure it will be a real head turner when its done keep us posted

els likes this.
  3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

It really is true that there are no more original ideas in the automotive world anymore. I thought of that idea and thought it would be really different over 5 years ago when my brother dragged home a two wheel drive half cab Scout 800. Turns out it's already been done! His Scout was a 4 banger but came with a four speed and a 345 IH. I wanted to turn that thing into an all IH gasser, but he sold it before I could get my filthy hands on it.

I'd love to follow along with the progress of your Scout gasser. I think it's an awesome idea.

els likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back around 1980 a guy who I worked with had an old scout like that with a DZ 302 Chevy and a 4-speed with an olds rear and 4.88's. motor was set way back and the guy told mne it pulled wheelies. i didn't believe him til he came in one day with his wheelie bars all bent to shit. if i remember right i think he was running low 13's on slicks. this one had the full top though.

he was selling it at the time and i was close to buying it but bought a straight axle 56 chevy instead.

els likes this.

5. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I like it, I have never seen one before at the track and with the history of it I dont think you can go wrong. Even if it is not the Hemi it had before keep the nostalgia theem going on your Chevy engine. Keep us updated on this and more pictures please.

Jon

els and Poh like this.
  6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I had a Scout II up until a couple of months ago. It was definately one of my all time favorites of all the vehicles I've had. I've never seen one drag raced though. It's kind of hard to get good times with 35" tires, lol. I look forward to seeing more of this project. Good luck.

els likes this.
  7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Too cool!! I bet that thing was scary as hell with a full boogie 426 in it. :eek:

Kind of unrelated, but... also weird. :D We zebra-striped my buddy's Scout with a few cans of black Rustoleum and a lot of tape. Damned rednecks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chriseakin, Elcohaulic and els like this.
  8. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Scouts are cool.

els likes this.
  9. BigRed390

BigRed390

Bitchin!!! I love it!

els likes this.
  10. koolkemp

koolkemp

I can remember it for sale in the old car trader....musta been the early 80's....often wondered what the story was behind it, good to see it in capable hands.

els likes this.
  11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I dig this.

els likes this.
  12. Where would Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler have been without Zebra stripes?
    Up the Nile without a paddle that's where. Love those factory 'Jeep'-afied Scouts!

[​IMG]

els, ChefMike and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Doug Nash ran a Bronco drag car.

[​IMG]

chriseakin, ironrodder and els like this.
  14. Saxxon

Saxxon

The Nash Bronco had an all alluminum frame and a nitro 289. Now that was a hell of a ride.

I'm having a blast putting the Scout together while hearing all the stories and history on it. The stories have been wild. The truck was usually run without a hood or a roof and just about every second stoy has this thing cruising Portage avenue with 3 guys in the back hanging off of the rollbar. The second owner, Rich Bedford was talking about running 10's and blowing the bottom end out of a couple of elephants. Pretty scary with only a single hoop and a concussion bar. When I got it it had a driver side bar that was u-clamped to the roll bar (??)

At first I was a bit concerned that I would take some some flak if it didn't have the hemi in it and I was messing with the chassis. But so far the changes have been well received and those in the know fully understand the suspension and safety upgrades. Ultimately I'm building it the way I want to build it and my intent is to honor the gasser theme while at the same time paying tribute to the origins of the truck.

By the way, anyone want a period correct 64 Olds rear with a set of 5:13's ??
    I'll take a 426 straight up (lol)

48fordnut and els like this.
  15. firingorder1

firingorder1

Congrats on your find. I remember seeing the "Elephant Hunter" in HRM. Probably have the mag out in the garage. Its a cool car that stuck in my mind. Looking forward to seeing it back running.

els likes this.
  16. bronco gasser

bronco gasser
    BANNED
    from GB WI

way cool scout, building a early bronco my self as a gasser with truck top..

els likes this.
  17. I had one a few years ago and was thinking along the same lines....

els likes this.
  18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I remember an old magazine add I think it was for Hooker Headers that had a pic of an old scout with front wheels up in the air

els likes this.
  19. Anybody remember the magazine ad from the early 70's which featured an early Scout painted up like "Grumpy's Toy" coming off the line pulling the wheels? I think the caption was " Bill Jenkins would rather drive a Scout then give up his Hooker Headers".

Oops, just saw Russco's post.

els likes this.
  20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here it is

Attached Files:

els and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Yep, That's the one.

els likes this.
  22. I like it!

els likes this.
  23. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Wicked Wiiicked BAD ASS "BINDER" I realize you can't afford a Hemi,"hell no one can unless yer loaded at least the 426 cubed version" its still kick ass none the less!

els likes this.
  24. jangleguy

jangleguy

I had that issue with the Elephant Hunter. Very cool - what a fun history!
    I built a 377" sbc for my car: Two 650's on a tunnel ram, good heads and a solid flat tappet cam - been clocked at 140, sideways. Will be killer if I can get it to hook. It's a great combo - you're gonna love it!

els likes this.
  25. bronco_ed

bronco_ed
    from Michigan

Anything to report on the Scout...

els likes this.
  26. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Cool

els likes this.
  27. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Once again... I doubted the coolness. I was wrong. This is cool. Can't wait to see more on this one. Always loved the Scouts.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

deathrowdave and els like this.
  28. Saxxon

Saxxon

The project stalled for a while with an aborted and failed attempt to put in a rollcage. I had a local fabricator offer to do it for me and I didn't find out he had little or no experience building a cage until he ruined $300 worth of chrome moly. He has stepped away from the project.

The current guy bending up the cage is in the process of welding up the interior cage structure. Once that's done I can start to fab the interior, wire up the electronics and mount the fuel cell and battery box. The engine is going together and it will see a dyno before I put it in. It'll be broken in and the suspension tuned with a carb before I put the injectors on it.

My hope for a 4 foot wheel stand this year has had a reality check. The fun and games will have to wait until the new season.

Once the build is presentable I'll post pictures.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    els likes this.
  29. Deadmans Dave

Deadmans Dave

I had a 67 back in 1979. I had a 327 ,365HP With a Muncie and a Dana 44. I sold the truck to Scott Geoffrion the deceased Pro Stock driver and it was his first car. I was recently aproached with the guy who owns the car now and it might be my winter project. When I saw your picture I thought it was my old truck.

els likes this.
  30. LS62Scout

LS62Scout

I was doing a web search for Scout Hot Rod and came across this thread. Thought you may like the project 1962 Scout 80 I recently finished. Check it out at www.members.cox.net/sytcn

els likes this.