Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do You Have A List Of The Hoffman Companies ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenders

Fenders

This was mentioned in post 3 but not so you could get it in a search:

Keep it clean wiring accessories
    keepitcleanwiring.com

2. Fenders

Fenders

3. Rob68

Rob68

Funny, I interviewed with them in Portland before I knew of their reputation. I didn't get the job (which at the time would have been great, thinking I'd be working with guys who love old cars), now I'm glad I didn't because I couldn't work for a company that really only sold offshore junk (as I am learning more and more) and has such a bad reputation.
    Still looking for that dream job with a reputable company though.

4. htchevyii

htchevyii

I got burned too. Zirgo fan sensor didn't work and fan didn't work very well. I bought a set of Autoloc seat belts and they are unsafe garbage. Never again!

5. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

That is the third steering column I have seen,and the guys selling this junk are all over the swap meets. SO BUYER BEWARE.

6. staleg

staleg

Update on the speedometer: I can't make it work. The instructions don't have the 2 wire VSS alternative, only 3 wire hall effect sensors. I have tried a couple of different alternatives. Contacted the Hoffmann Group support once more. No answer. 2 wire VSS is the typical GM solution on all newer cars. Shouldn't be an issue at all.
    The fuel gauge turned out to be ok after all, but the Aurora gauge sender seems to stop now and then.

Have bought an Auto Meter Antique Beige speedometer and fuel gauge. Good instructions, mounted them today, no problems. (Before I mounted the Antiqie Beige speedomter, I used the Auto Meter instructions and tried once more to hook opp the Aurora speedomter. Still didn't work.)

I will switch all the Aurora Gauges to Auto Meter gauges as quick as my wallet allows.

5 years ago there were plenty of Ebay stores that sold the Aurora /Hoffmann gauges. Now there are none. I guess they are too bad even for Ebay...

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IMHO, there shouldn't be ANY plastic components in a steering system. looks like some ugly metal castings in there too.

It's a disaster waiting to happen. If one of these shit components fails in a Hot Rod and kills someone, it could be the start of an "unsafe at any speed" law makers campaign which could lead to new Hot Rod codes, laws, inspections, no modifications to steering and suspension specs, etc. It could get ugly like it already is in some other countries.

Don't buy this shit at any price, even if it's for a builder that you're going to flip. Patronizing junk makers will only keep them around.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. If we wait for the government to come in and regulate this, they will likely come in with a heavy-hand, and it will likely negatively affect all of us.

We are the "market forces" that can put an end to this nonsense. Boycott The Hoffman Group, and spread the word to anybody who will listen.

If they kill or even injure one of us, they are hurting ALL of us.

Not to mention what they are doing to U.S. jobs. American is out there. Buy it.

Nitroholic and hotrodA like this.
  9. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

I have been burned by Hoffman Companies! Now I have a list! Hip Hip Hooray.

10. coast40

coast40

Add Warehouse99, aka Johnny Law's Warehouse99. ebay username "warehouseninteynine". Misspelling intentional.
    warehouse99 supposedly "bought out" Uncle Theo's Hot Rod Parts Warehouse. No direct links to it on internet. I'm guessing it was another Hoffman label.

11. jackalope

jackalope

Well, I am new to this side of things (hot rods). I managed to get burned by "Johnny Law" or whatever their name is. I thought American Shifter was an American Company and saw the write up and everything. I get the box last week and literally 20% of the kit was missing! 2 of the 10 items was missing. I have been in contact with them hoping for resolution but this is just awful.
    Fuck me. Man, what a shitty group of asshats.
    I sincerely hope that this thread will get a bump to get the word out that they are sheisters.
    I've opened up a case on evilbay and these fools continue to try and circumvent that by calling me and emailing outside of evilbay.
    I suppose the fact that I used paypal is the only redeeming thing here (yeah, I know).
    Anyway, I will never buy anything from these fools again.

12. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HELIX is part of the Hoffman Group...
    I ordered a 29" reverse main spring from Johnny Law.

The bushing eyelets was way too big for the my Pete Jakes Bushings.

After weeks trying to get a hold of anyone...
    On their website, You type or call and leave a message, and someone will call you back later.
    Sent them a message that i wasn't happy with the spring...no one called me back...SURPRISE!

Called the sales number and asked them to call me back...
    Happy sales man (until I told him why i was calling) calls me back...
    "No Problem, let me send you over to the sales guy Jeff that sold it to you"...disconnected!...and he didn't call me back.

Called back ten minutes later asking for Jeff "He doesn;t work here anymore"...(smart guy?)
    How do you know the spring is bad?...you probably have the wrong bushings...we haven't had any problems b4.
    I'll be happy to issue you an RA "it's gonn cost you more to send it back than it's worth though...ha ha.

I said "it's crap just give my money back and i'll throw it in the garbage you )&*%$#!!%^* ....etc. etc.

DON'T BY ANYTHING FROM HOFFMAN GROUP!
    http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/
    Everywhere i've read about them they're selling CRAP!

E-Bay:
    Found a VEGA chrome rebuilt steering box for $81...got excited there for a while...
    E-bay seller Johnny Law!

Watch out for these GANGSTERS!
    T

13. jackalope

jackalope

I suppose that I am "lucky" given I went through ebay. I got a full refund (still waiting for it to register to my paypal account-but assured by paypal).
    I'm guessing ebay has a LOT of issues because they issued me a refund and had coordinated free shipping back before "Johnny Law" even had a chance to respond.
    Johnny Law is a bunch of losers F_cks. Terrible business that NO ONE should ever do business with. Dooche bag I spoke to acted like the fact I was missing parts was normal! I could not believe how unconcerned he was.
    Man I hope anyone thinking about saving a couple bucks or working with one of these companies reconsiders. YOU WILL GET BURNED!!!
    Grant

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And again today! I was over at a buddy's house when he had just returned from a trip to Hoffman group. About a year ago he'd gotten some BS parts from them, and when he returned them he made the mistake of getting a store credit, since he figured he'd use it sometime. I told him he better either use that credit soon, or chance losing it over time!
    Well he went down to use the credit and they had no record of it in their files! So he got stiffed for about $90 of credit. Just another fine example of the Hoffman Group, or should the be Hoffman Gripe?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoffman Grift.

hipster likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There are a dozen threads about going to someone's place and physically making things right. Has NO ONE confronted these yahoos at a swapmeet or at their head quarters?

17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found another spring on E-Bay...
    From Welder Joe's - WARNING ANOTHER HOFFMAN / HELIX CRAP SELLER!!!
    Model T 1928-1934 1932 Ford 29 INCH Front Spring streetrod hotrod NO RESERVE

Please note that although this item is NEW and UNUSED it may be missing it's original packaging.
    I HAVE A FEW OF THESE

28-34 FORD 29 INCH REVERSE EYE SLIDE SPRING WITH TEFLON BUTTONS

RETAIL IS ABOUT 135$ ON THESE GUYS
    [​IMG]

Watch out for Any company with a "cool name" / no phone number!

T

18. fly

fly
    from USA

All;

Why not share some of these stories on google, yelp, amazon, Facebook, and other review sites. Just cut and paste you posts.

If enough people chime in it could save someone a lot of trouble and money. If you were burned let everyone know. As much as I love reading the HAMB (troll for many years) not everyone knows to look here.

I too got burned by them. I am going to cut and paste my experience to all the above sites and more.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

:D awesome post , those tilt things have caused issues down here but as far as I know you wont hit the road with one now (hopefuly there are none already out there), old and fixed by me is better than some new shiny crap

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I want to thank everyone who has posted so far.

I had never even heard or done any kind of business with the Hoffman Companies but this is the type of information that needs to be posted and shared with other guys interested in hot rods and other types of cars.

Thanks for the heads up on these people.

Jimbo

21. WordSmith

WordSmith

General Motors has used a plastic piece in their steering columns in this exact spot since the 1960s without issue. The problem is not that plastic of any sort is being used, the problem is the quality of the part in general.

22. Fenders

Fenders

Hoffman companies -- adding safetboy seat belts

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/

with the ebay dealers mentioned previously this should be a fairly complete list.

Q: Is protocol HRP a Hoffman company, it was mentioned earlier.

23. Tcab

Tcab

How long has the Hoffman Companys been around? Was autoloc brought out by them? At one time Autoloc had good products and customer service and were sold thru many well known companies.

24. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

It is a shame that the word on these folks is so slow to spread. If you look at the popular Street Rod magazines out there, the H Group is their largest ad buyer....so the magazine wont/cant refuse their $$. A reader of that magazine sees the nice large ad and figures the company is reputable...after all, they ARE advertising in a well-known magazine. At the GG type shows, there is usually a booth selling their stuff...again, they must be "good" since they are participating and spending $$ on their booth rental. Therefore, the only way to shut down the companies operating this way is to spread the word (like here on the HAMB).

25. 1gearhead

1gearhead

It appears that this thread could go on for along time. i to purchased some Hoffman Group products in the past. Quite a few years ago in fact. prior to their gaining the reputation they have today. I learned from first had experience about their poor quality products and even poorer customer service. It baffles me as to how companies like this can continue doing business. They are absolutely the worst I have ever dealt with. I do business with numerous aftermarket hot rods parts companies as i have a small hot rod shop. My reputation is my only advertisement. I will not use a Hoffman Group product to save a buck, I cannot afford to jepordize my hard earned reputation.

I don't understand Roadstar's defense of Hoffman Group, he must have some type of vested interest.

26. XXL__

XXL__

It shouldn't baffle us... but rather disappoint us in ourselves. We (collectively) have deluded ourselves into believing that we want "lowest price" on everything, when, in reality, we usually want "best value" (which is a price-performance vector). We (again, collectively) have created the "Walmart mentality" in ourselves, and opportunistic businesses have jumped in to make a quick buck.

It is good to see at least some of us indicate a willingness to 'spend more to get better.' While there is nothing inherently inferior about offshore production capabilities (the Chinese are quite capable of producing as good a product as anyone else on the planet), that is where businesses go to get stuff made because it can be made cheaper, and those offshore manufacturers are willing to produce as crappy a product as businesses are willing to order... and so you get the rise of Hoffman Group, AIM (Ratical, Airbagit, and at least 30 other business names), and other Walmart class companies, selling "Walmart class products. Stop buying crap, and start buying well-designed, well made products. It will cost you more, but you will get better.

/2 cents

27. WordSmith

WordSmith

I fully concur.

The only Hoffman stuff I have seen that has held up thus far has been their remote entry stuff. That's about it. I don't know if I've been lucky, of if that's the one place they know what they're doing, but I've had no issues with their remote control units.

I throw out all their other catalogs though!

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'd like to know what roadstar thinks about this column ... No excuse for that ..what so ever!

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Errr, this is developing into something way beyond a SHIfT LIST.

30. samurai mike

samurai mike

some american shifter stuff on summits website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.