Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do You Have A List Of The Hoffman Companies ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddylama

daddylama

i've bought from them once, in person since they're located in Portland and local to me. i was just buying weaved nylon wiring loom, which is little to no indication of quality of their other products... kinda hard to eff up loom. they just happen to be the only place around to get this particular stuff. (i now get it online instead)

their location is mostly warehouse and offices, along with a small (very small) showroom that is only kinda open to the public. you've gotta ring a doorbell and wait for one of the phone sales guys to answer... then eventually buzz you in when he realizes you're standing on the street downstairs. the sales dude was nice enough, gave me wholesale pricing (i'm a business owner) even on the small order i was getting. then he gave me a small tour of their warehouse. lots and lots of boxes from China. lots. it's like going into a Harbor Freight warehouse.

they may have been around for quite a few years, but their products have ever been good. i remember Autoloc ~20 years ago; crap then... crap now.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's caveat emptor now.

If you buy, it's your fault.

The word is out.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  3. daddylama

daddylama

on the plus side, HF has a reputation for being china-made crap, so you know what you're getting... and has a bazillion locations that'll exchange the cheap ass tool when it breaks.

worlds better quality, but i've had my Snap-On ratchet in the glove box of my daily driver for the past year so when I finally see a Snap-On truck I can exchange the broken thing :)

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Someone made the comment that the G.M. columns also used plastic; they do, but it's NOT in a direct, load bearing fashion, as in the Hoffman Groups' time-bomb. Their piece (Hoffman's) has a pin (or pins) that go directly through the plastic, so of course there's going to be "tear through". G.M.'s plastic is basically a "liner", placed over the knuckles, to make the action smooth, and is well greased. And, it does wear, but does't break. I had to replace the short stub in the upper part of the tilt column in my OT truck because the bearing wore a groove in it when the bearing went bad; a new bearing would have just gotten torn up if the stub was't replaced. The plastic pieces came with the new stub, but the old ones did't really need to be replaced, as they were't worn out. Of course, all this happened because of them infamous, four Torx screws, that chronically loosed up in the tilt columns of G.M. vehicles (why has't our government addressed this issue that's been going on for over 35 years?). I've had to do the Torx screws twice now, if they loosen again, the non-tilt column out in the shop goes in. Oh, I bought a set of the clear, red, spark plug wires from Welder Joe, he's here in Washington State, and now that I know it's a Hoffman front, NO MORE purchases will be made by me. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Thanks for the heads up

6. Their stuff keeps popping up on ebay under various seller names; usually listing new stuff as used. Kinda messes up searching for genuine Ford parts.

7. Yes, they suck and I see their shill does not come on here and defend anymore. I have access to all their parts and will lose a sale rather than buy that crap.

8. jimpopper

jimpopper

Thanks, I better tear my steering column down and look at that knuckle. Would I be so lucky as to be able to change the parts in question over to GM stuff?

9. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Opinions is what makes horse racing. If you buy on price alone you will be a victim of poor quality.

10. jimpopper

jimpopper

Lowest cost products are what the Car makers have always built the new ones with. I thought that buying new would give me a better product than refurbishing an old used part. Regardless of where it comes from, you would assume a reasonable safety factor would be designed in. roadster front.jpg

11. Ran into another one on the auction sight: "closeoutautoparts". Got a kick out of their material description: "Cast from heavy grade heat treated forged steel".

12. pitman

pitman

^^^ Now there's some top-shelf material! :rolleyes:

13. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I had a Company in China contact me. Called the Tri Group or something like that. Turns out they make the Gear Shifts for the Hoffman Group.

14. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Good luck sending anything back to those assholes and getting a straight answer or a refund !

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"American" Shifter....

16. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Yes Tri Group in China make them. If I can find more information I will post it here.

17. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

Dealt with them 3 times. Twice about temp control of fan. Neither worked, both resulted in back feed and were worthless. Unknowing I bought 2 push buttons, hip hip hooray one worked. Help was always ignored until I gave up. I can usually spot their ads.

Cheers, Don

18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got reverse eye leafspring from them..the eyes were the wrong size...and I'm glad because that made me think about the quality...I stepped on the spring and it lost 2 inches of it's arch...
    The Hoffman guy said "Ha Ha! It's gonna cost you more in shipping than the spring is worth"
    I told him &@$ 5)#$# ):&!)(&6=/#

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a " keep it clean" wiring kit ,yup sucked in and did not realise it was a Hoffman group junk kit. Wires Labeled wrong, colours wrong, I though it was me that was confused so I asked my wife to check it out and re read things . The box is now in the junk parts corner. Support the alliance is what my wife told me. Junk is junk.

XXL__ likes this.
  21. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

There's another company that I have seen ads for and I figured that were Chinese as well. It's called Electric Life. Does anyone have any input about these guys?

22. XXL__

XXL__

Electric Life has been around for 30 years or more. They are not related to Hoffman. I have used their power window assemblies for many many years and have no complaints.

23. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

That's good news! I had seen an article about them some time ago and it was favorable. Good to see they're not part of the Hoffman group

24. Not Knowing any better I got a 4 inch dropped axle from Johnny Law, seemed like a good price and looked good in the pictures. I got it in the mail, and could not believe how shitty this thing looked. My 8 year old son could have done a way better job of cleaning up the casting flash on this thing. IT was ground to hell all over it and looked like it should be used on a power wheel or something. Tried to send it back and could never get any one to call me back, I bolted some old spindles and slot mags to it for yard art. I wouldn't give this POS to my worst enemy. it just looks like its gonna break. Shoulda just got CE axle to start with which is what I have now...

XXL__ likes this.
  25. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I'ts like they don't give $#!- if someone gets Killed...it's suspension parts .....!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Just saw an ad for parts on eBay store was "unbeatable auto parts" low and behold= same Portland adress as Hoffman group

27. XXL__

XXL__

You don't want to beat on them. They won't hold up.

thirtytwo likes this.
  28. verde742

verde742

I HAVE a very expensive Snap-On 1/2 inch ratchet and it wouldn't even make a GOOD HAMMER,
    Snap-On is made in Spain, but they don't tell you that.

roadstar likes this.
  29. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Ha ha ,.... I'm assuming they are made from Chinese conduit

Looked nice in the picture ... I was lik hmm I can't even make em for that ... Wait a minute... Portland... Isn't that where Hoffman is ... Sure enough ... Sneaky fuckers

30. Noticed another Hoffman alias on ebay: shiftknobcity

XXL__ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.