Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does it have to be a Ford to fit in around here?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Barn Find, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've read all the rules, and I've read tons of other posts from people hurt or wondering why their thread got deleted. It's often clear to me how they strayed off topic, but I'm still wondering about my deleted thread. Were the moderators a little overzealous in deleting my build thread, or am I not "traditional" enough? I'll grant you that this particular build had likely never been executed before. Must it be cookie cutter to belong here? If so, that makes me sad. I came to the HAMB to read about the variety of builds using pre-1965 parts. I have participated in dozens of old car forums dedicated to Ford, Dodge, Chevy, etc. The HAMB is more fun that all of those, because of the variety. Not only do we talk about all makes, but we can include parts from each of those makes in one car, and making them fit together takes craftsmanship seen nowhere else.

My build in question took a 1933 sedan modified with a cab and pickup bed from 1934-1937. The build introduced 40 extra cubic inches over the flathead six originally in the truck. No one can argue that it is not period correct. The newest component is the '57 Ford rear axle. Did we build too much of a sleeper? Did the moderator even read the build thread, or did they delete it because it doesn't look like a hot rod at first glance? Would it be traditional if we installed a 221 cubic inch flathead instead of the 280 cubic inch OHV six?

Here's why I am asking. The bulk of this deleted thread was contributed over several months in 2013. I spent a lot of time sharing photos, history, and automotive trivia. Every indication from readers was that these contributions were appreciated. Without one single negative comment or warning of any kind, this entire thread was deleted this week. I'm not a newbie to this site. I've paid my dues literally and figuratively. I've read tens of thousand of posts based on an estimate that I read 10 or more threads for every post to which I contribute. While the thread in question had been mostly dormant in later years, my guess is that it drew a moderator's attention when I posted a photo to the Hot Rod truck thread. (The photo got 4 likes, BTW). I included a link to the build thread in case anyone wanted to know the details of this unusual build. That link is now a dead end.

I respect this site's commitment to purity, and I would not be offended if anyone said my truck was too old, too rusty, or too slow, or that they just don't like it. But it seems cowardly to obliterate the history I shared with this group after hours spent posting over several months and after years of the thread existing peacefully. If you tell me that I don't fit your subjective and autocratic mold, I'll accept that. I only wish that had been clear four years ago. I've enjoyed contributing here, but I won't waste my time if the content is not appreciated.

Is that the message the moderators intended?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wow!
    Maybe it was a honest mistake.

jakespeed63 and Barn Find like this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

It was actually a pretty cool thread and very educational. Hope it comes back.....

Barn Find likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow is right.
    I can't believe your build was deleted intentionally.
    I sure hope not. Your post here is done wilth much respect. I am sure it will be addressed by a moderator.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Barn Find likes this.

5. Fern 54

Fern 54
    from Pomona, CA

That's a cool build, refreshing to see something different.

jakespeed63, Barn Find and slv63 like this.
  6. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

That is a great looking pick up, I considered cutting my sedan at the start of my build, and even tho I chose not to, I would love to read this thread!
    Hope it get re-posted.
    Thanks Aaron.

Barn Find likes this.
  7. There have been a lot of threads deleted that seemingly were on track and on topic in the last few months,I have had several deleted but most of them were off topic.

With what I see you have posted I can't imagine why they would be deleted.

I would really enjoy reading the thread. HRP

Barn Find likes this.
  8. Mikel50

Mikel50

I hope there is a way they have it archived on the server and are able to post it back up.
    That looks like quite the build.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Barn Find likes this.
  9. ^^^^^^^^^. I'm with them. ^^^^^^^^^

Barn Find likes this.
  10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Occasionally Moderators get a report of a post being off topic or a picture or two that are not on topic.

Instead of hitting delete for a off topic picture - appears I deleted the thread in error.
    My apologies.

Deleted thread has been located and un-deleted.

11. You're the best Corncob!

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great!

Barn Find likes this.
  13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

A huge relief! Thank you!

And thanks to everyone for the supportive comments. They took the sting out of rejection even when I thought I had been deemed too weird for this site.

And I should have said that I have nothing against Fords. Fords were our first rides. We've had and loved more Fords than any other make.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Barn Find, I am glad to see there has been a positive resolution to this. When I read your post yesterday I have to say I was disappointed. But thankfully, Cob came through! - Thank you.

By the way, your truck looks pretty cool to me. Enjoy it.

lothiandon1940 and Barn Find like this.
  15. Never2low

Never2low

Kudos to you for handling this with class, tact, and a cool head.
    Glad everything was resolved and a cool thread restored.
    Think of how many guys have posted similar threads questioning a deletion, and they come out swinging, calling people Nazi's and shit.
    Not only do they not get their thread restored, regardless whether or not the deletion was justified, but they end up getting banned, to boot.

mooreboy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. koolkemp

koolkemp

lothiandon1940 and Barn Find like this.
  17. andyg

andyg

What's cool about this is not only what was said already about Barn Find, the thread itself, but also that Corncob says...I did it...sorry about that...and fixed it! I'll swan its the biggest group of stand up people I've ever been around. That last part was southern talk ya know. And NO this is definitely not a FORD only group!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

In hindsight, I was far more indignant that necessary. I could have just asked if that was a mistake, but we have been conditioned to expect that posts are actively and aggressively culled for editorial reasons. I've never been on a site that had so many posts deleted editorially as this one. It is always irritating when a thread you are following goes away-even when it is deleted for good reason. It's just a instinctive emotional reaction, I guess?

Anyway, I'm glad to remain part of this community.

jackalope likes this.
  19. Your Diamond T is a work of art..very tasty.

lothiandon1940 likes this.