Register now to get rid of these ads!

History DZUS fasteners & 32 hood panels & beyond

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dirt car, Apr 9, 2024.

1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

My apologies if this has been covered beforehand, however Assembling my 32 hood panels took me back a few years to my military stint & my tour of duty with the 1st. Air Cav & servicing as a crew chief on Huey's & OH-13's, I recall how everyone struggled with the proper pronunciation (sounds like zooss incidentally) at any rate with all the news media surrounding the Ukraine war perhaps it's time we extended homage to William Dzus (Volodyar) Dzus who in the 1930's pioneered the system & it's unique method to quickly access service panels without fumbling with loose fasteners.While several variations surfaced through the years, in most situations a simple coin in your pocket can serve as the only tool requirements to get to the workings concealed by the many years of aircraft cowling & certainly our hot rods if you so choose to incorporate a Ukranian contribution.

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

In the Navy we all carried "Dzus Keys" on our tool belts and if we got caught using a coin we were threatened with extra duty. With the way engine cowlings are falling off airliners now a days they should send their mechanics back to air frame school.

Just Gary, loudbang, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  3. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I kept a P-38 handy for that purpose & of course to open those delectable 'C' ration can goods.

4. verde742

verde742

where can I buy Them in Phoenix area ? ( zooss )

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Years ago I bought some flush fit Dzus fasteners made of stainless but I have no recall of where?

winduptoy likes this.
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Summit Racing has some Dzus fasteners. A P-38, man does that bring back memories. I'll bet half the people reading this don't know what one looks like. I once carried one on my keychain until it opened one day and it dug into my thigh. I think I still have it somewhere, gotta look.

vtx1800, Paul B and loudbang like this.
  7. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

IIRC the original (?) Dzus factory was located here on Long Island NY in West Islip. They had a toxic waste stream out the back into a brook and down to the Great South Bay. A lot of people got sick and the whole place turned into a superfund site.

8. P-38?.........I always understood that a P38 was a twin tailed Lockheed Lightning fighter of WW2 fame.....learnt something today.....andyd

9. Many places sell them. Prices vary accordingly. :) Pay attention to flush head, button head, spring loaded and the various lenghts used for panel thickness. It's easy to make your own flush mount recess tool if you have access to a lathe. machine the holes in the panels before you rivet the springs to the tab. :)

loudbang likes this.
  10. "Snoopy Tool"
    I always liked Dzus fasteners better than the more modern quarter-turn fasteners used now...

I used to buy a lot of Dzus stuff from Aircraft Spruce, also got some stainless Dzus fasteners from someplace that escapes me now. Lots of different sizes, lengths and styles available so do your homework before ordering. And you generally need different installation tools for each size and type of head.

winduptoy likes this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have used Dzus fasteners for 50 years on race cars. I have grown fond of the Allen head, dome style, and use a T-handle wrench. The lakester has in excess of 300 buttons. IMG_0201.jpg IMG_0202.jpg IMG_3540.jpg

12. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

The Aussie version of a P-38 has a spoon on one end, and is called a Field Ration Eating Device (FRED). It is more commonly known as a !@#$%^& Ridiculous Eating Device.

Cheers,
    Harv

hotcoupe, alanp561 and winduptoy like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have this kick punch, that does all three holes and dimples in one strike. IMG_0203.jpg IMG_0204.jpg

dana barlow, bymanr, warbird1 and 9 others like this.
  14. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

My FED uses the recessed Allen head type to hold the bodywork on. I use a t-handle wrench too. Only about 20 buttons in the FED.

I used four slot head spring loaded ones to hold the rear cargo floor in my avatar... taught me that they are very fussy about installed depth.

Cheers,
    Harv

warbird1, Toms Dogs and winduptoy like this.
  15. richard crow

richard crow

they knocked down the factory in west islip long island there is now a minie mall there

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P-38
    waaaay back....I had a boss that made P-38 coffee....
    Drink 1 and P-38
    ....he called it "airplane coffee"

alanp561 likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    I'm not sure they are still in business but I really like the flat head versions from Full Bore.
    DSCN1627.JPG DSCN1626.JPG

dana barlow and alanp561 like this.
  18. I used www.aa-mfg.com in the last year. Good service and as reasonable of pricing as there is. Dzus has never been real cheap. If you're doing much buy 100 at a time and there might be a price break. :)

19. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Speedway Motors sells their version in the race catalog or online, not sure how closely it might be to the real deal however listed in steel & aluminum, the dimple tool is also listed...as for the P -38 designation, andydodge you might be glad to know both accounts are correct, a can opener & aircraft share equal airtime on this one.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yeah, I wish I would have bought more from Roy Fjastad, before he closed shop.

21. Ziggster

Ziggster

warbird1 and alanp561 like this.
  22. Graham08

Graham08

I've gotten my last couple batches from these guys: https://www.s-sengineering.com/

They manufacture the weld-on plates and dimpling tools. Definitely an old school operation...you have to call or fax your order and the last time I ordered the only payment option was COD. The inconvenience was worth it for the low prices on genuine Dzus fasteners. They're also one of the few places I've found that carries the large flush buttons in aluminum.

23. [​IMG]
    P-38 can opener. I carried one of these for years out of habit. Finally lost it one day. The can opener that is!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  24. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_4065.jpeg When I was cleaning out the shop after selling the building I found my pops old snoopy tool. I was surprised at how much they went for on eBay.

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does anyone know how I can rivet on those little plates that go behind the fastener? Attaching the panel to another and there isn't room for the backside of a pop rivet.

26. loudbang

loudbang

This is the type the USMC and Navy issued to, in my case, Aviation electronic techs and electricians way back in 1969. The guys in survival shop would sew small seat straps together and make a pouch that hung off your belt vertically. The Dzus blade locks open by pushing on the brass bar in the photo just above the knifes silver looking end.

Looks like the proper spelling of the manufacturer can be seen on the lower part of the blade, Camillus and New York below that.

I had several when I left the USMC as they were expendable supply and you could requisition a new one monthly.

While working in a dealership bodyshop I found they to be great wool buffer pads old/excess compound simply by locking the Dzus blade open and applying it to a spinning buffer pad. :)

ps sorry for it's condition this has been sitting unused in my toolbox since 1971 53 years LOL.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 213749.jpg

warbird1 likes this.
  27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There are some panels on Airstreams that protect the front of the trailer from rock damage that are attached with some Chinese crap fasteners. I replaced them with Dzus fasteners from Speedway and it turned out that the Dzus hold down springs could quickly replace the Chinese junk using the same mounting holes. A lot of AS owners used Dzus after I posted on their forum.

vtx1800 and loudbang like this.
  28. Graham08

Graham08

One way to do it if you have access to the back of the panel is to use flush solid rivets, with the head countersunk into the back side of your panel. The rivet tail will be visible from the front side of the panel, but solid rivets done properly don't look bad.

29. oj

oj

Just Gary likes this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

IMG_1370.JPG IMG_1371.JPG
    A buddy of mine Jerry Hill, had a race car fab shop for years, built Dragsters and Funny Cars. It was in his estate, and that's how I acquired the Whitney Jenson punch, with the die in place. Makes it fast when doing multiples.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    warbird1, oj and Graham08 like this.