Register now to get rid of these ads!

History DZUS fasteners & 32 hood panels & beyond

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dirt car, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

You can try www.browntool.com for aircraft tools. phone number (800) 587-3883. I would put a hole in a piece of scrap material the same gauge, use an anchor nut tool that fits the Dzus receptacle, drill the rivet holes using the anchor nut tool. Use a dimple die on the holes, Before doing it on the vehicle.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't recall the details but when I made my die set I think a rocker arm ball was involved, only needed to make four divots.

3. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Stranger things have happened, but here it is but a couple of weeks since my initial posting on the history of Dzus fasteners, while attending the Saturday 04/21 L.A.S.R. swap meet I came upon a regular area vendor selling the Dzus real deal ( stamped signature) fasteners, springs, & backplate protectors less the body mounting plates .Not to worry since this swap meet albeit a small gathering is held annually on the Speedway Motors campus, it was a mere stroll to the counter to get a 10 pack of the desired plates. On rare occasions things seem to search us out.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    e1956v likes this.
  4. oj

oj

Did you get his business card to share with us?

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Will try to do so, he was involved with other buyers, but comparing what he had they were exacting to the Speedway components with exception of the logo.

oj likes this.
  6. oj

oj

Authentic Dzus have lots of different fasteners and I have a hard time getting some of them, like the countersunk buttons that you install with a spring and then close the hole around the base so that the fastener is self ejecting while remaining captive, they (incl Speedway) offer a similar captive spring button on a steel plate that you rivet but that makes for a overly complicated/bulky package when the spring etc can be made right into the panel.

7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I’ve had this one on my key ring for decades for no good reason. The hole is worn, the edges and corners worn smooth. It’s tightened screws and every now then used for it intended purpose. Was going through a metal detector at the courthouse and a younger then I deputy sheriff looked at it and said “what branch of service were you in” then said you will have to take it back and put it in your car. IMG_3377.jpeg IMG_3376.jpeg

sidevalve8ba likes this.