Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Chevy Distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Apr 22, 2024.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Since my deuce pickup with a 265 has Pertronix module I'd like to throw a complete ready to run distributor in the tool box, easier to swap the distributor than install the module along the road. Best source for one. Also how reliable are the Pertronix modules? I've always been a points and condenser man. Wondering if I should change mine back to points or keep the modern ignition?

tractorguy likes this.
  2. patsurf

patsurf

remember the groove!

LOU WELLS and Tim like this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

You really have to ask. You've been hear long enough to know that points are going to win.

tractorguy likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not if you are the guy in Arkansas looking for flathead points and condenser on his way back from Tx today. Just saying. :cool:

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I'm a hei guy myself. Around here everyone thinks points are king. Either way carry a extra set. I know I do.

Okie Pete and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. Easier to switch to points now than on the side of the road later.

7. Points. But the downside is you have to stockpile them (older ones or NOS) AND condensers. I have a Bubba built distributor with a petronix in my '47, but I also have a stock points distributor in the trunk.

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

This may sound stupid but I made my living for the last 40+ years building hot rod chassis and T5 kits not working on motors. What is needed to dump the Pertronix and go back to points. I can pull the distributor but is something removed when the points are removed and the electronic module installed? Who makes the best points and condenser? Do I have to change coils? I'm getting a little long in the tooth but I'm a quick learner.

tractorguy likes this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Old favorites of mine :
    Blue Bosch internal resistor coil
    Delco, Echlin, or Niehoff points, cond., & cap
    Spring kit for better advance curve, or a Corvette centrifugal dual point 091 dist

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the selling points of a Pertronix from Day one was that when it crapped out on the road you could dig the points and condenser out of the hiding spot and pop the Pertronix pieces out and stick the points and condenser in. I've never done it so I have no actual knowledge. What I did do is go to Pertronix check for the "early" V8 distributor conversion kit that fits a 57 Chevy V8 distributor. https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-1183-ignitor-delco-8-cyl

Then I finally found and opened the instructions to install the kit as seen in the two images below or an be opened by clicking on instructions. If you have the distributor with the weights on top under the round rotor rather than inside the body and has the small rotor that my buddy Mike Jones used to break on his 57. The degree of difficulty is a bunch. Screenshot (36).png Screenshot (37).png

tractorguy and Budget36 like this.
  11. You would have to ask!
    Electronics, of any kind, are superior. Have there been bad ones? Of course! Have there been bad points? Bad condensers?
    Pertronix, as do most systems, requires [ or likes ] at least a full 12 volt. And good ground.

I just completed a 2100+ mile in my electronic equipped Buick. Another 4600+ last July. NARY a problem. Almost 30,000 mi since ditching the points.

Ben

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just go back to points, do they require periodic maintenance? Sure they do but so do most things on old cars. Hands down point ignitions are the most reliable there is. Do yourself a favor and get some NOS points and condensers and never look back

13. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I have had pertronix in 3 diferent cars and have not had any problem.

okiedokie and hrm2k like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Funny about “NOS” stuff, back in the day I used to do points, plugs and condenser every 5-6 months. Had a tool box drawer of all the removed ones. I always used the Echlin gold points, don’t recall the condenser brand. Whatever NAPA sold.
    Some years later when I came back to California, I wanted to tune the ‘57 up before driving it. Did the NAPA run. Went to put the used stuff in the toolbox drawer.
    Well, guess Dad needed room for something else.
    “Hell, I didn’t think you were ever going to use them”. Lol

I mean they wouldn’t have been NOS, but still would have been good for sure.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if the resistance on the coil and ballast resistor are right ignition points will last a very long time, the last set I changed in my Impala had 30,000 miles on them and honestly did not look that bad. Maybe some people don't enjoy doing periodic maint on their cars but I like it. Every spring, clean and inspect points, check dwell and and add a little cam lube and check the timing. It literally takes 10 minutes and the only ignition breakdown I have ever had was in my Corvette when I first got it, and it had one of those god awful HEI's in it and I had not changed it to points yet. The wires for the pickup coil broke from back and forth vac adv movement and there I sat. I can't tell you how many HEI failures there were in the late 70's when I was a mechanic at a couple of different local shops in town here... points for me for trouble free driving...

tractorguy and Ollie overhead like this.
  16. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Nothing is 100%. Those who like points and condenser, still think the flathead is king and drum brakes will stand up against disc brakes.

loudbang, MCjim, patsurf and 2 others like this.
  17. I would leave it alone and drive as-is since it is working fine. Assuming you have the room, the easiest solution is to carry a complete points distributor all set up. Just swap it out if needed. Pull cap, note position of the rotor, loosen clamp and any wires, pull old distributor, drop replacement in so rotor is same spot, tighten clamp, connect wires and reattach cap. I think the only potential issue is if the coil is 12v or has ballast resistor with the Pertronix? I don't have the Pertronix on anything, but I think it is designed for full 12v like an HEI. I run either HEI with OEM modules (replacement modules are crap), or traditional points (in most of my old cars).

olscrounger and tractorguy like this.
  18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easier to change a whole distributor than mess with little screws etc on the side of the road ,in the dark.
    That's what I do because problems happen at the worst time and place.

olscrounger and tractorguy like this.
  19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Also a fan of Pertronix, never had a failure.

bschwoeble likes this.
  20. hepme

hepme

yeah, them points! that's why you see them on all cars since the HEI was intro'd. (and of course, nobody talks about the 250K mi. + they put on electronic igns. with their daily's)

bschwoeble and firstinsteele like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not “anti-hei” and have no experience with aftermarket conversions, but those GM HEI’s are tough on the eyes when looking at an otherwise nice engine bay.

22. Oneball

Oneball

You just need a set of points with wire and a condenser to carry, no need to change the coil or in my mind worry about what’s the best. It’s a get you home fix is it not.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  23. hepme

hepme

That's why MSD makes the "ready to run" unit that is the same size as the early Delco dual point units and drops right in-no clearance issues if engine is changed and looks exactly the same. I know, I bought one and used it in place of the dual points-daylight to dark comparison. 7 years until i sold the car-guy still has it after a huge ton of miles.

bschwoeble and Budget36 like this.
  24. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

The only failure I’ve had with a Pertronix was having the magnets fall out of the magnet ring. If it were me I’d keep a points distributor in the tool box

25. Budget36

Budget36

Do they have vacuum advance?

Thanks.

26. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

If it is not broken, do not fix it.

Algoma56 and firstinsteele like this.
  27. Another thing is if you get a Pertronix dist it doesn't have the provisions to put points in it (unless they changed it), so you're stuck with caring an spare module if you want to.

But if you want to, just carry an extra module, easy to put in a SBC on the side of the road at night. Saves room in the car........you know the rule, if you carry a spare you'll never need it.

And no I don't think the Flathead is king and I don't think drums are equal to disc. But some things look like ass on old cars no matter how superior they may be. But under the logic of the 250K + "new" electronic cars someone referenced.......why run carbs then????

38Chevy454 and Okie Pete like this.
  28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Okay, maybe now we can go another two weeks before the points vs. electronic battle flares up again! It's like a political argument; neither party changes their mind about anything.

vtx1800 likes this.
  29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I put Pertronix in the first time for a BBC distributor back in the late 1980's and put the old points in the glove box just incase. Sold the car about 6 years ago and points were still in the glove box.
    I got a brand new points distributor with some swap meet parts I bought cheap to put in my SBC build for my '39 Chev. Planned to go Pertronix, but since it was brand new, and had points already I just dropped it in. I have a MSD box, and figured it might help the points last even longer. So the Pertronix kit that came with it sits in a box waiting to see if I ever use it now.

30. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m going to jump in here as it seems to be the only pertronix discussion I could find . I bought a complete pertronix Distributor and coil for a 390 FE engine in a 71 f250 that I use everyday feeding cattle with . Monday it died had to be pulled back home . Their special coil gave up . I’ve been told by them that I need to use their coil or the life of the module will be shortened. Any ignition guys want to tell me why that is ? The ignition guy I dealt with for years has had health issues and isn’t able to help me .
    He built me a distributor for the Y-block in my 57 Fairlane 6 years ago. It has pertronix kit in it and it’s performed great .