Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects El Portal 36 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Some of you might remember when I pulled this car out and some may not. Here is the link below too refresh your memory or to see how this build is going to start.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256731

Well the build has begun and first part was too teardown the car all the way to a empty shell and frame. The frame is going to the sand blaster this week after I finish tearing it down to the empty rails so the rails can go to ElPalcko's shop for his frame jig. This will be where updates will be happening instead of doing multiple post like I did with the 227 bullet coupe so check back often. Thanks to the Rattlers car club and DesertDroog for helping out with lifting the body off the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Looks solid! Good luck with the build.

3. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Are you going to finish this one, or do you just like starting projects? Nice hammer technique too!

4. Nice car...I have one simalar in the classifieds for sale right now...
    Need another?:p

5. Well the frame took a lot longer than I thought in getting it torn down to empty rails. I lost track of how many drill bits it took to drill out all the rivits but its done and the rails have been sent out for sandblasting and then onto ElPalacko's shop for the frame table and one of his really nice mustangII crossmember kits and boxing. This car will be on air bags since I want it as low as possible since its going to a lot like Cole Foster, Timebomb John, and other 36's that I have liked in the past. More updates soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lazyv8

lazyv8

pretty sure thats a 35 judging by the front fenders and headlights... just a note! .. bitchin car .good luck on the build! ive always wanted a 5 winow 35-36!!!

7. Yes you are correct for now but the cowl is so rusted out that a 36 cowl is going in and there you go now its a 36.

8. Well the new cowl was picked up to replace how badly rusted the orgianl one is and frame rails are now at Industrial Chassis with ElPalacko and frame pics will be next as the frame starts to go together.

[​IMG]

9. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Nice save, cant wait to see more up-date pictures.

10. Finally someone saved an original frame instead of opting for new hi bucks one. Keep us posted with build. Hank

11. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

Awesome project. Good going for using the original frame.

12. Updates on the frame.

Got the rails back from sandblasters and just loosely mocked them up the frame table at Industrail Chassis so the boxing and cross members can go in. At the open house the shop decicded to cut out the boxing plates during the party to show off the plasma cutter so now boxing plates will be going in soon. More updates will be soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Wow. This is a great post.....

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, I can't believe the floor in that thing!

15. poorboy

poorboy

keep us updated!

16. DRD57

DRD57

Hahaha! I knew someone from the midwest or northeast would say that.

17. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

the progress looks great. I hope to do a similar build-up in the near future.

Jeff

18. The frame is slowly coming together at Industrial Chassis. The guys down there are doing a great job and just wanted to show the high quality of work that goes on there. More updates on the frame as they come.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i love this thread,,,,,,,,

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I would have given that X member a good home. cool project.

21. The middle section was torched out so only the inside rail pieces were left that is why its on the frame table to build a new one. There are sections on epay right now.

22. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

23. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I'm curious why you blew the whole frame apart? I assume it was so the sandblaster could get into the nooks and crannies but man, that's a ton of work.
    When I did my chassis, I only cut out the x member but left the ends intact.
    Looks like you are building one hell of a nice chassis though.
    How are you filling the holes in the boxing plates.

There is nothing finer than a '35 or '36. Just ask Django!

24. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Man that is a cool machine... this thing is going to be so nice. Keep up the great work.

25. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

And I have a nice middle section laying here, I wish I knew you needed it.

26. I drilled out every rivet on the frame due to the missing section of the X member and to have nice clean empty rails for boxing.. Also I am going with a Industrial Chassis mustang II crossmember and air bags so the car will sit as low as possible while parked at a show since I am using TimeBomb John's vert and what Cole Foster built 36 as inspiration for my build. And I would not call it work that is what makes building hot rods and customs so much fun is the work. I like your avatar photo.

27. thanks for the offer but I am going with tubular cross member so we can have 350/350 drive train in it and it will be low as possible when parked at a show. How is you chevy truck coming along with the olds dash in it?

28. Two things; Cole Foster, hmmmm, you could do a lot worse than to use him for inspiration. Second, that's maybe the coolest transmission crossmember I've ever seen. Nice work, good luck. Mike

29. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

its a shame you torched out the centre section, would have thought it would have been easy enough to make the ends you needed and saved the inner sections given the work you have carried out.

why change it from a '35 to a '36?

you sould be able to get it real low with dropped spindles and air bags, seen a chassis built with no kickups front or back and it would have sat the same height as cole fosters car or TimeBomb johns car.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  30. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY