Register now to get rid of these ads!

Father and Son in La Crosse, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Cord Blomquist, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

I'm new to the H.A.M.B. but I've been involved in the classic car hobby since my dad started taking me to car shows and swap meets at around the age of 10. My dad has always been an old car nut and always had a car or two he was working on when he wasn't running the two auto shops my family ran when I was growing up. We used to have a matching pair of Glen Prey Auburn Boat Tail Speedsters when I was 6. I remember them looking quite nice taking up most of our old garage.

Since about the mid 2000s dad has shifted from the repair business to solely focusing on his passion. He's now restoring cars, restoring parts (especially Trippe Lights and Guide Super Rays), and fabricating his own parts, mostly mirrors and lights parts from cast brass. You can see everything he's up to at White Glove Collection.

I'm now getting involved in my dad's business/hobby again as my dad is in poor health. He got a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer last year and despite doing incredibly well, we're still trying to sell some of the car collection and we're moving toward selling the reproduction parts business, which has turned out to be quite a robust cottage industry. One of my main focuses in working with my dad is researching the "Bonneville Hupp," a customized Hupmobile that raced on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1935, 1936, and 1937. I've already posted a thread about it, which I guess I should have done after posting this brief intro, but I've been excited to share my research on the car with folks who might be able to help me learn more about it.

If the H.A.M.B. is half as friendly as the AACA forums, I think I will enjoy the interactions here tremendously. It's been great to talk to old car guys again. It reminds me of being a kid and reminds me how nice folks in this hobby can be.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Welcome and HAMB is a great place to learn and also teach others like the AACA .Very sorry to hear about your Pops and our prayers are with him.

3. Supercargirl

Supercargirl

Cord,

I followed you over from the AACA site. I would like to try to help you find more information on your car. I work in the research center as a volunteer organizing years of material gathered by Dr. Fred Simeone. We have a great section on the Bonneville Flats at the museum - of course there is a supercharged Cord in the exhibit. I will PM you and we can go from there.

4. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

Thanks @continentaljohn for the kind words. Dad is doing better than any of the doctors predicted. He's a strong old man and his work keeps him going. I consider this a blessing in disguise as it's motivated me reconnect with dad and it's given me a second look at the hobby my dad loves so much.

5. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

Thank you so much! I would love to see a picture of the supercharged Cord. I may have seen it in digging through Salt Flats photos over the last several weeks.

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado.
    The H.A.M.B is not always friendly, but a great place for a lot of knowledge. Like everything else in life sometimes you just have to take somethings with a grain of salt.
    Beautiful cars by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

@e1956v I totally know what you mean. Anytime you get people with passionate opinions together, someone is going to call someone else an idiot. My profession is in software development and I can tell you that nothing compares to the viciousness of nerds in online forums.

8. Hello and Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Enjoy your ride....