Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thanks, glad you enjoyed'em.

Yeah, I finally gave up trying to find ways around the water boxes (nearly impossible at some strips), and now just roll through'em quickly, then toast the hides good to dry out the tread. Seems to be working so far.

I'm hitting low eights for the 1/8th now (new personal's 8.252), might be able to scratch at an actual seven if I re-geared for 1/8th. Running 4.62's now, but I won't give up the 1/4 mile long as there's one to run at. Hell, I managed a third in O/W standings at the ANRA opener, even with not being able to show for the quarter finals round (likely would've gotten roasted then anyway :D).

The line I put on my tach's at 5500 (you can see it clearly in the videos), and I usually shift there or just short of that, depending on my ear & butt. I try not to pass 6000 as a rule.

I don't know about the stacks, as I've never run collectors on'er. Nor will I, as it wasn't common in our era (just my own thing though, not a judgement at all ;)). I had given some thought to longer stacks, as that was done regularly then, but I rather like'em the way I have'em now ("jaunty", ya know? :cool:).

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. bobw

bobw

I agree, your exhaust stacks fit the style of the car well. I wouldn't change them for a little improvement (if any) in e.t. either.
    Good to know you can burn off the water. So far I have been able to drive around the water but I won't always be able to.

Dick, your car and the way you run it is a inspiration to me and I'm sure, many others.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You can always leave the tires wet. Helps with the high gear only smoke passes.:p

4. Old28

Old28

Well old6, looks like you had a great time at Barona. Sounds like you have points problem under control. You and that GoPro are putting out some nice video. Pictures look like there were a lot of open wheel roadsters & coupes at the race.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wow, the HAMB down for a week. Bet this morning was a riot. :D

The "clutch lock-up" problem turned out to be a broken head off one of the flywheel bolts that'd gotten into the works. That, and two others that'd backed out and were hitting the disc hub as well. Fortunately the other three held their places, so no damage was done to the parts. It was due to the machinist not chamfering the mount bolt holes on the steel flywheel he did for me. So I sent for some ARPs, chamfered the holes, and put'em in last Friday.

I have the 'Brick back together, and on the trailer, ready for the run north.
    Eagle Field, here we come again. :cool:
    Had to settle for one more rebuild of the Spec clutch though, Baldo couldn't get to my new pressure plate yet. No sweat though, with the new flywheel bolts & chamfers she'll stay tight, and the only chatter'll be the little bit from the Spec disc.

We'll see those of you who can make it, up there. I hear it'll be carried on one of the live coverage sites for those who can't. Just the same I'll be doing videos and photos anyway, and'll post'em up when I get back, as usual.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. Old28

Old28

Have a great time this weekend at Eagle field, wish I could be there, but got to mend and be ready for Spring ANRA race in June. Say Hi to Walt and all the guys from the Pacific NW group that make it down for me. Keep that GoPro flying as we love the video.

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Road trip tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. :D
    Who, me? I'm not eager. :rolleyes:

Put the 'Brick back together so quickly I forgot to pop in the oil spray shield for the U-joint. No sweat, easy job at "THE" Field. :cool:

8. bobw

bobw

I think it's wonderful when a guy who is approaching middle age can get that excited.
    And Eagle Field is a great reason for that excitement. I'll be envy-ing y'all from afar.

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Yeah, it's nice how "middle age" keeps getting older too. :D

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Of course I keep pushing middle age back farther, I'm not ready for "muddle age" yet.

11. storm king

storm king

Man, lotta Mopars at that strip! I like it!

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

1. Howdy Kiddies,
    Well, another killer eagle field weekend's in the books. :D

What a great time, the 'Brick ran strong, the company was fine, the strip was perfect, the flag starts were historic, and the weather held for all of it.

Here's the link for the videos album, including an odd one for anyone curious about our procedures for handling float movements. :rolleyes:

After a 1st round HAMBie win over the Gorilla trap on Saturday (Joe drew the bye), I went down to a blistering 2nd round pass by Joe. Jeana had taken Les for their 1st round, and drew the bye for second. She then took a single for HAMBie when Joe couldn't get it started at the line for 3rd round due to a battery problem.

The rest of the weekend was, of course, grudge racing for us, Eagle field style. :D
    Tom (440 Dodge) got in a pair of runs Saturday, after which Jeana & I matched up for a last run wheel to wheel squeaker on the top end (about as perfect a race as you could ask for :cool:).

Sunday I ran a single when Carl got delayed suiting up, then Tom took another shot at Coleen. After that I got to watch the backside of Carl's flattie slingshot while his grandson put the hurt on me. My last run Sunday was against Jeana again, when I managed to avoid third gear for the loss. That put her & I at one run each for our grudge, so we'll be addressing the decision round at Famoso in June. :D

Now I can hardly wait for October. :cool:

OK, I've no idea what the number "1." is for at the head of the post, and I can't seem to remove it. o_O

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Actually, my 2nd run on Saturday and my run on Sunday were against Colleen. With a bit more practice, she is going to be as lethal as Jeana.

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Right, corrections made (at YouTube as well), sorry 'bout that. :oops:

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

No problem for me, just thought Colleen should get proper credit for driving. :p

16. Old28

Old28

Sounds like all had a good weekend and the videos were some of your best work yet.:cool:

17. bobw

bobw

I love the Ride Alongs. Thanks for the extra effort in doing that.

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Must add...If you can't have fun running one of these cars, you have a serious deficiency in your fun receptors. Big thank yous to Old6 for three passes in the car and a serious infusion of cramps in my cheeks from the grinnits working overtime. :)

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well Kiddies,

My seemingly eternal fight with various clutch systems has taken yet another turn. I'd thought the flywheel had loosened a tad at the last Eagle Field meet (making it difficult to shift), but tear down turned up a pressure plate with one fewer ears than it'd had at the start of that meet. :(

Soooooo, I've ordered my latest hope for a better commercial one, from Hemi Performance in Australia. With luck it'll arrive in time to get'er in for Butch's ANRA meet. If not, I'll pop a stocker back in for that and the following week's Antique Nat's at the Pit, then get it in during July for August's festivities. :rolleyes:

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Gentlemen, here's a chuckle for y'all.

With a bit of time to spare I decided to add a bit more lightness. So I splurged on some new hole saws, and started in on the frame rails again. After two day's efforts, some swearing, a pair of very irritated knees, discovering that the new Bosch hole saws are essentially worthless, and returning to my trusty Milwaukee ones, I achieved a whopping 4 lbs reduction.

This, coupled with the paring of 7 lbs via the deletion of a few other bits & pieces, brought my latest automotive dietary efforts to a thundering 11 lbs. Only about 120 to go to squeak'er below the 1300 lbs I'm wishing for. :rolleyes:
    Does look a smidge cooler now though. :D

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

As the saying goes, This post is useless without pictures. :p
    Sorry I had forgotten we needed to leave early on Saturday. We had a good time wandering the swap isles with you even if I only found two old gauges and a hub cap. :D

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

:D
    I'll try to get some pictures up Monday or Tuesday, if I can finish up on the bench.

Two old gauges and a hub cap is more'n I found, no rims in the size I need. Hell, I never even found Bill & his V8-60. :(

23. bobw

bobw

Don't just count the weight of the slugs. Add in the weight of the 1/4" pilot hole and the kerf around each slug. Could be a strong quarter pound there.

Man, that's awful hard work. My hat's off to you for the effort.

24. Old28

Old28

Ha Dick, I'm with (440) got to have pictures.:D You will have a true 50's swiss cheese race frame when your done and you will still want it lighter.:eek:

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK, OK! Piss & moan and ye shall receive. :rolleyes:
    :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already allowed 12% for the missing metal. I'm actually looking forward to hauling'er up to Scholl Canyon Dump's scales again, sometime in July I expect.

Aussie "Hemi Performance" Co. Clutch showed up today, looks great, a much better looking unit than the Spec. Only took some mild cobbling, and I'm sliding the engine/gearbox package back in this evening. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  26. bobw

bobw

If those were black & white photos I'd swear they were from the 50's. Lotsa work making all those holes.
    How many times did the drill motor wrap your arms up? Hyper-bend your thumbs?

Gonna hafta try to get my frame in the drill press next off season.

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Doesn't happen, I learned many years ago to put a fender washer on the drill for the pilot hole, then drop it off to start the main hole.

28. Old28

Old28

Know that's what I call a 50's "bug Style" frame. Great work as always. What was the weight before this latest adventure? See you Friday.

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Now that's what we're talking about! Looking good. ;)

30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pasted'er back together and flamed'er. Had to diddle the clutch linkage travel and the throttle return, but she sounds great, and the clutch seems to be working nicely.

Last weigh-in was 1430 lbs, early last year. I've been nickel & diming'er down since then, so I'm not sure exactly where I'm at now.

I have a couple minor odds & ends left to deal with, then I'll put'er up on stands and take some more crown out of the hides, pop the body back on, wax'er once, and trailer'er up for Bako. :D