Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GOING TO TRY IT AGAIN ~ SEATS ~ Ryan approved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Don't know what happened because I never had a chance to see the reply's but I suspect the reply's contained photo's of late model cars.

<-------- I need seats for my old beater but I'm not looking for bomber seats .
    HRP

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    dana barlow likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I saw the replies, they were not late model cars but late model street rod looking seats. The early scout seats looked nice and would fit in here....

HOTRODPRIMER and Squablow like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

35 years ago (that makes it traditional right?)
    we couldn't find nice seats for the Model A that would fit so dad cut down seats from a (shhhh Honda) narrowed them and shortened the backs. Youd never guess that's what theyre from now. I've spent a lot of time walking the pull n pay sitting and measuring

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Let's keep it pre 65 seats please to keep the boys in the front office happy.

BTW,if you know of something that doesn't fall under the guidelines send me a conversation.HRP

Moriarity likes this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you wouldn't want crappy late model seats anyhow would ya???

6. If it were a coupe or truck, I'd say an early Suburban second row seat, or a vintage school bus seat.

Being as it's a sedan, I'd think you would want a seat back (or seat backs if they're buckets) that tilts forward. For this the OT second-row minivan seats are the trick. For buckets, I would think either OG seats or early Willys Jeep seats, unless you look for early Eurocars.

How wide can the seat bottoms be?? (Pretty sure the seat bottom clearances are less than the seat back clearances, but not certain.)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

8. What ever I use will most likely have to be recovered or modified.

Got it,thanks man. HRP

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

For our 1931 Plymouth sedan project, I narrowed a 59 Ford truck seat.
    The seats are all beat down in the drivers area, but I used the springs from the center cut-out to replace the worn out driver side, the middle is never used in a truck.
    We have not upholstered it yet, project, but with just a blanket thrown on it, it is comfortable with the more modern springs, it looks traditional, and I think I have it on the truck runners and the view line is good.
    Only one thing, it is a solid back, but it does flip... maybe with some work it could be a split.
    Maybe a 50's wagon???

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I would keep an eye out for 'Vair seats, I always thought that they were perfect in a rod. if you want stylish I would looks for '65 and newer 'Vairs, but in a beater the early 'Vairs have the perfect silhouette.

If you have to buy the whole damned car I would drool over the rear springs.LOL

here are the early seats:

79343f5c88a8023cf894ec827e43173f.jpg

And here are the '65 and later seats

1967-chevrolet-corvair-convertible-rare-turbo-4-speed-manual-new-top-8.jpg

11. Beano,man those look great. HRP

12. I thought about the 'Vair buckets, but I'm pretty the early ones are too wide for a Deuce. I like the later ones though!!

mnjeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. I have ridden and driven both and while the late model seats are sleek the early seats are really comfy. If you know where there is a vair wasting away that would be the real deal in a hot rod.

If you want a bench I can make up a Bench out of my fat lucky's rear seat ( sorry I am using the fronts), I got a seat frame I can make work with the cushions.. But its pretty fancy for a beater, but it would turn some heads when you opened the door. LOL

('53 Stude rear pretty narrow)

[​IMG]

DHeep and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Sedan 2doors,fronts really need to be on adjustible track an have fold forword backs,to be used with a backseat that can be used also. They don't have to be two,it canbe a bench bottom with 2 folding backs and both don't need to be same size=drive side can be wider then pass. Keeping ideas like that in head when walking through junk year some times helps along with your tape an knowing the max size between doors. Cutting down how wide a framework is,seems to be EZist of the mods.so close ya start out with the rest right the better. I've made custom seats a few times over the years,using both metal n wood combo an tracking from any old seats that seems sized right/but even that canbe cut shorter.
    I'm with you on no bombers ;Bomber seats to me not only look trendy bad,but may make your back n butt go boom! If its not a racecar bomber BS don't belong anyway I think.

15. My mom had a 65 Corvair so I know the seats are comfortable but they are a little wide.

I know have a bench seat in the beater,just looking for something a little more comfortable for long trips,after about 4 /5 hours the old bench seat starts feeling like a park bench.:D HRP

16. Squablow

Squablow

What period are you hoping to achieve from your interior? Anything specific?

The Corvair buckets are really great looking, the early ones share a frame with Impala, Grand Prix and Nova SS although the big cars got a chrome band over the top, they are otherwise the same. 65-66 Corvairs got the same seats as the 64-65 A-body GM cars, which look similar but are a bit narrower, might be helpful in an early sedan. Even the 4 door Monza model Corvairs got buckets and they fold too, I got a pair out of a '66 4 door for my '65 Tempest and they'll take the factory Pontiac covers like a GTO or LeMans. That interchange also helps if you want to pick out a pre-made reproduction seat upholstery kit, lots of options. I don't think the plastic backed seats as shown above came out until '67 or '68. For a 60's look though, I'm fully on board with the Corvair buckets.

Otherwise, 58-60 Thunderbirds had a really cool bucket seat with an arched top and they're not overly wide either.
    [​IMG]

neilswheels and patmanta like this.
  17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

HPR when I built my last T bucket I used forklift seats from northern hydraulic.They came with adjustable tracks and nice black upholstery .They are comfortable and cheap.They look a lot like early mustang seats.Two of them just fit in a T.If you like I will send you a picture.

hipster and Gr8laker like this.
  18. That's why you always travel with a newspaper and a bottle of Golden Muscatel. When the seats begins to feel like a park bench you take a drank then pull the news paper over ya and take ya a nap. :D

Brit seats work well too. Probably as hard to find as Vair seats.

firstinsteele and dana barlow like this.
  19. oldolds

oldolds

Just Gary likes this.
  20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you want a nice comfortable seat, I'd go with a Glide seat

robracer1 likes this.
  21. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Early IH Scout seats in my '32 055.JPG

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My reupholstered 37 bench seat is the most comfy bench I've ever seen.
    You'd like it with your large frame.

23. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have been looking at Corvair seats for my fake Gasser. The early ones folded straight forward, 64 or so they folded towards the middle. Later ones had locking backs with some years latches on the side and some on the back .

24. Didn't think of it until you said gasser, but old dodge van seats are pretty comfy and not real big.

Racer29 likes this.
  25. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

So are old econoline seats.

porknbeaner likes this.
  26. I'm going to use a set of '59 Tbird seats like Squablow mentioned in my '39 sedan. I mocked them up once and just fit. Could use a little narrowing in the bottom cushion to be just right. They fold forward.

27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, if you wanted something off the shelf new and along the lines of these seats, you could go for a set of Speedway's "Mustang Style" seats which are strikingly similar.

These classic 60's styling Mustang bucket seats are 24" tall, 20-1/2" wide, and 20-1/2" deep. Each bucket seat includes sliders.

[​IMG]
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-Style-Bucket-Seats,58575.html

OR, Amazon seems to have A TON of seats now.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

These caught my eye recently:

[​IMG]

Boat seats maybe?

[​IMG]

Simple Benches there too:

[​IMG]

28. VW beetle buckets. Traditional, still available, and lots of seat covers or upholstery kits available.
    You can even adapt repo beetle door panels to prewar Fords.

Max Gearhead and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Stay away from the Mustang flat seats. They are very uncomfortable.

30. 48stude

48stude

I don't know how much you're planning to spend , but here's what I have. They seem pretty comfy to me,but I am 5"9" @180lbs. Bill
    2017-02-21 15.37.56.jpg

catdad49, patmanta and KoolKat-57 like this.