Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

www.fordsix.com has a wealth of info on racing 300s.

2. bobw

bobw

Sorry for the long delay in responding, old sparks. Must be an age related problem. I don't know much, but I liked the 7 main bearings as opposed to 4 in the slant 6. TFF is correct, you should scour the fordsix.com site for information. My intent was to build a mild engine so it was easy to tune. Tried for a fair amount of compression by decking the block and milling the head. Used forged 390 Ford pistons, 1.94 Chevy intake valves and 1.6 Chevy exhaust valves. Had a mild regrind put on the cam by Oregon Cams. Used a 750 Holley vacuum secondary carb. and an antique MSD with the points distributor. Harland Sharp aluminum rocker arms and custom length Smith Brothers pushrods.
    The Frenchtown Flyer is far more experienced, and successful at building and racing 300 Fords and if memory serves, yo will find an extensive article written by him by searching the ford six site.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Old28

Old28

Bob, I looked through the fordsix.com site and found a lot of information on small block 6's, not very much on the big block 300 motor in the way of performance or interchangeable parts. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Maybe You or Flyer can point me in the right direction. While I have some time to mess with the computer I would like to learn a few things about the 300" motor.
    Did you get a set of forged 390 pistons with 4 valve slots from Summit? Did you have any taken off the tops to make them more like a true flat top piston? What kind of CR do you think you ended up with. What size cc head are you running. Is the block -0- decked? When that next test & tune?

4. Did you check the 240-300 section, also read the 240/300 FaQ section lots of good info in there. Clifford and Offenhauser still make intakes but you can usually find them on ebay or at the swap meets for less.Here's the FaQ
    http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=11348

5. Old28

Old28

Bob, sorry for jumping your thread, only trying to learn a little about the Ford 300 motor.:D

6. old sparks

old sparks

7. bobw

bobw

Tom, Don't ever worry about jumping on my thread. Same goes for you, old sparks We're all friends here. If you go back to page 30 of this thread and work forward a few pages most of your questions, and all of the answers that I have about this engine are there. The pistons were flat tops and nothing was done to them. At 114 mph, my best top speed the engine was at 5,400 rpm and still pulling hard. I would have thought it would run out of breath at that rpm with no porting and the small cam it has.

8. Old28

Old28

Bob, thanks for a place to learn about the 300" motor. Went back and read the pages on the thread about the new bullet, lots of good stuff. Did find a lot of good information on the BBF 300 on fordsix.com. When do you test again? Winter is just around the corner in your neck of the woods.

9. bobw

bobw

Beautiful weather right now, but it can change fast. Oct 3 is the next date. Could be a nice fall day or it might be really nasty. Let' hope... My block was already .03o over so the 390 pistons were my choice.

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's an article I wrote when I was a dumb punk hoodlum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somebody over at fordsix.com blew it up to readable size without exceeding the size constraints of photos.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Old28

Old28

Ok flyer, I am old and still not seeing that well from one side, sure would like to read the story but can't make the print fit my senior vision, or maybe I'm getting to old to run the computer. Please a little help.:rolleyes::confused:

12. bobw

bobw

Tom, click on the red "fordsix.com" below FTF's article and you'll get a readable copy.

FTF, thanks for posting the article.

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am glad to see that the Ford 240 / 300 is getting as much notice lately on here. You will note that stock it came with seven main bearings, 12 port head, available forged steel crank, standard bore of 4.000 inches, SBF bell bolt pattern and other features that make it superior to other inlines of the '60s. I always thought if it were not conveniently written out of the rule book in LSR vintage classes then the record book would be awash in Ford blue. That is why I call it "the best kept secret in drag racing".

14. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I'm about 90% done with this 1963 Land Rover. Working on a couple other projects now. Hoping to run the dragster one more time on Oct. 10th.
    I picked the 300 Ford 6 for the reasons you listed, FTF. It appeared to provide the most bang for the buck.

15. Old28

Old28

Rover is coming together, would make a great tow package with the dragster. What are your new projects? Sure hope the weather holds for your Oct 10th test run.

16. bobw

bobw

There's only a couple things that could keep me from TnT this Saturday. Rain or the sale of the drag strip and its immediate closing. You guessed it folks. The strip was sold and will not be open again this year. The good news is it closed for repaving and other improvements. Not a case of going under.
    So, I'm putting the dragster in cold storage (outside, covered with a tarp) until next season.
    Tom, I've got two projects going; a Renault Dauphine getting a 406 sbc in front & the '32 Bantam coupe with a 468 Big block, street and strip.

loudbang likes this.
  17. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    All tucked away for the winter. In 6 or 7 months we'll again be able to race in Minnesota.

loudbang likes this.
  18. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Winter project.

19. Old28

Old28

That coupe is going to be a great winter project and fun for all to follow as you start building another old school hot rod. :D:)

20. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Did some frame building and mock up. I know I should post the build on the main board but there's too many snipers over there. I'll quit cluttering up the HA/GR forum with N/A junk.

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If you start a build thread on the main board, post a link here so we can follow it. I've always loved Bantam coupes.

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, what he said.

23. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Me three! You got all the cool toys! thanks.

24. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I'll sneak a progress shot of the Bantam in here. Don't tell anyone.

Black Knight Racing and loudbang like this.
  25. bobw, don't worry your secret is safe with us!

26. spanners

spanners

Your secret is safe over here in Australia too. Keep going.

27. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    The rear end is narrowed, front and rear suspension is done and I'm working on the roll cage.

Black Knight Racing and loudbang like this.
  28. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Bob, it looks like the ol' bullet has struck again! While cruising through some drag racing sites I ran across this one:

http://dragracingonline.com/index.html

In the index is a link to a story about the Meltdown Drags. In the article are two scrolling group of pics. In the second one is a great shot of you flogging the bullet down the strip.
    Congrats!

loudbang and Old6rodder like this.
  30. bobw

bobw

I'm getting so famous I'm gonna set up an autograph table, sell T shirts.