Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ID this wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ericknight, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ericknight

ericknight

Roadside find. Tire is 8.00-15 tubeless. Would like to know what it came on. IMG_1756.JPG

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D I might be so far out in left field that I ain`t even in the ball park,but maybe a Chrysler.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. tractorguy

tractorguy

If not Mopar........then Buick......bolt surface looks Buick, but wheel cover/hub cap holes have a Mopar look.

Spooky likes this.
  4. Itsa buick for sure

5. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I wonder how much it will cost you to properly dispose of? :D

Just might be a reason why you found it on the side of the road.

TagMan likes this.
  6. ericknight

ericknight

I'll cut the tire up with a sawzall and put it in the trash, the wheel will be added to my collection of orphaned steel wheels.

7. Wat a waste !! o_O That there whitewall tyre has patina man !! :eek: Wheel looks pretty shabby though.

8. Squablow

Squablow

Should be 5 on 5" bolt pattern Buick as was already stated. Mopars had a similar locating pin hole arrangement but they would be 4.5" pattern and the clip holes on this wheel are Buick.

Stuff like this seems worthless until you need one to complete a set and the hubcaps you want to use will only go on this special wheel. Good on you for saving it.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. 5 on 5 with a 3 1/16 hub hole would make it a Buick, Pont or Olds and it should be 5 1/2 width.

I have been looking for one now for two months! LOL:D

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

There's 3 widths in the Buick wheels of that era.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Buick could be 5 on 5-1/2

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

edit: the below comment was made after misreading the above post. I missed the implication to bolt pattern and thought it was in reference to wheel width. Sorry. Buick wheel bolt patterns were 5 x 5", from at least 1936 through 1996, on full size cars. Intermediate and some compacts with 5 bolt pattern were typically 5 on 4.75"

.......or 6" or 6 1/2"....and it IS a Buick wheel, as others have stated.....but some seem to think
    it might be Pontiac or Olds.....it isn't, though they share the 5 on 5" bolt pattern and a few other similarities, but are not the same as Buick.

Ray

'

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

5 on 5 with the large hub bore and those hubcap clip holes make it a Studebaker Commander or Light Truck wheel.

Buick never used those style hubcap clips, as I recall, and the Olds/Poncho wheels have the smaller hub bore.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Bolt Pattern..

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sorry Rainier,

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. I currently own, and have owned, several older Buicks and have probably 25 or 30 of these wheels on hand, at present. The slots and small holes circling the lug holes are where the clips would be riveted on for wheels destined for a car with poverty caps. Wheels for cars with full wheel covers got the 'non-clipped' version, as shown in the OP's photo.

Studebaker wheels that I have seen, and I have some of them here too, have a center stamping more like a '40/'48 Ford wheel, but with three slots out board of the recessed area and spring steel clips insert into those slots, the hub caps snap over them. While most Studebakers have 5 x 4.5" wheel bolt pattern, there are some older senior models that used a 5 x 5" bolt pattern.

I can provide photos to back up what I am saying here, but I am at home as I reply. The samples I speak of are at my shop.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

It is a Buick wheel, 5" bolt pattern. Buick never had a 5 1/2 bolt pattern. There are no clips for the small hubcap as this car came with wheel covers. The small holes are for the guide pin as these cars used lug bolts not studs and lug nuts.

17. rudestude

rudestude

Here's a picture to back you guys up....It's a Buick for sure just what you guys said with clips small cap no clips full covers also the wagons had 6 1/2" wide wheels[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

@Hnstray I know when to bow-out, and on a second look I completely agree with you. I overlooked the little windows where the center mounts to the hoop. Or rather, the ones that aren't there.

I've got a bunch of Studebaker wheels, and they seemed to use both the riveted-in and the clip-in hubcap clips depending on year. All Studebaker light trucks used the 5 on 5 bolt pattern (with the same large center bore as Buick) unless ordered with 6-Lug axles. My '59 Scotsman Pickup's stock wheels are 5 on 5's with clip-in hubcap clips. Oddly enough, the truck actually ran with chromed Buick 15x6 wheels back in the 60s (I'd love to find another set). Early Commander trim and up passenger cars used the 5 on 5 wheels at least through 46, if not later. Like you, I'm not at home and am going off memory...

Hnstray likes this.
  19. Ray, sent you a PM..................

20. ericknight

ericknight

I was thinking it was an early Riviera wheel that used the cast aluminum wheel cover that bolted on from the inside, looks like it's a few years earlier than that. I dismounted the tire from the rim, the inside looks good, still shiny black paint.

21. Eric, what is the width of that rim and the size of the hub hole opening?

22. ericknight

ericknight

6" wide, 5x5 bolt pattern, center hole is 3.450 best I can measure. IMG_1762.JPG IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1764.JPG