Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Images of vintage gas stations ~ pre 65

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both no doubt passed gas in uniform...:D...or perhaps Henry was reincarnated and became a Petroleum Transfer Engineer...

Petroleum Transfer Engineer thats a real fancy description adding class to a position I had for several years.

Merry Christmas...Bandit

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Looks like O'enery got a rise out of you!

Hotdoggin DaddyO, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Johnny99

Johnny99

From the look of the neon on the horses legs and the wagon wheels I'm a guessing the sign was heading for a fire, galloping horses and spinning wheels. What a sight to behold at night! Servicar, looks to be a cigarette machine, Olds rag top, fire wagon, and the signs, wow! Anybody know where this is or was?

neon 2.jpg

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Full Service

Women-Washing-Cars-in-the-Past-21.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  10. upload_2016-12-22_22-1-23.png

Center Street and Mentor Ave Mentor Ohio

11. [​IMG]
    Flying Saucer Gas Station, Ashtabula, Ohio

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  13. I've looked for YEARS for a picture of my Grandfathers Chevron Station in Scappoose Oregon. It was built in the late 30's, was there until at least the late 50's. I played there as a child. He also had tourist cabins for rent right behind the station, and next to their house. I think the house is still there, it was an antique store last I saw. It was on the highway on the south side of town.
    If ANY of you have anything that even MIGHT be this, PLEASE, PLEASE post them!
    Thanks!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

[​IMG]
    This little station is known as The RoundTop Filling Station. If I remember right it was built in the mid 1930s...it's been restored and is becoming a police substation.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  16. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

[​IMG]
    And this one is a bit close to my heart. This little country store/gas station has been here since the 40s and this old lion sign has proudly stood for as long as I can remember, telling me I was almost home. Sadly, the greedy witch that bought the old store recently decided she would sell the sign and it was ripped up and carried off for some collector a week or two ago. If I could've afforded it, I'd have bought it with the stipulation that it stay with the store where it belonged. But I couldn't...and it didn't.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Penny for your thoughts Bunky

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Customer will definitely return...;)

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gary
    Old, old family friends are Scappoosites, wish I could say I had a chance of finding this for you but since both my brother and his old Scappoose pal died the other family members moved away and I haven't been in contact for many years.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

The wife and I stopped in here for a quick picture last fall. The old station is located on M-19 a couple miles south of Sandusky Michigan, in Watertown. The long time owner who bought the store from his grandfather is in the background. He said he is restoring and plans to re-open as a display of history and gun works. After I got home he sent me a PM, turns out he is a HAMB member and he saw my tag topper as we were leaving. His logon is gas & guns. IMG_20160806_134804836.jpg

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary what was the name of Grandpa's garage and what was the intersection?

23. Johnny99

Johnny99

Morning,
    Hope this on survived. What a neat building.

gas station.jpg gas station 1.jpg

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ya just never know, right.
    That's what I love about this place!

25. It was likely Heins Chevron and Cabins, but I do not know for sure. Most everyone that was around then is deceased.
    It was on Hwy 30 between the gravel pit ( to the south) and Novack's Store ( to the north ). That;s how long ago it was. That was the location people used!The Heins were fairly well known, I still have some relatives there. My brother has a billion color slides, some of which I know include the station, but he's not inclined to look through them I don't blame him, he's having fun with his Grandkids! None of the pics are older than the early 50's though.
    No intersection ( LOL, there weren't many in town then), most everything was along the highway (30). I just ask on the very off chance it might turn up! Thanks!

chryslerfan55 and 1Nimrod like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gary
    Does the name Tarbell sound familiar, as in Tarbell road.
    BTW, back in the 80's I was buying some repop parts from a guy in the small community of Warren just north of Scappoose.

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will snoop around...I am looking at lots of station pics for this thread and have found many interesting shots. Those I recently posted are Portland specific and quite hi-res. It really helps to have specific info to use. It is even more interesting to find a modded cars in the scenes. I pumped gas as a teen but didn't share the uniformed career person look most of these as Bandit put it Petroleum Transfer Engineer did...Lots of pride in Jobs back in the day that has been lost today...Thank you for the added info Gary.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a little chuckle...If you look closely in the second pic the Older Fellow is got that ole familiar stance as is the first pic. Its that at ease look or is that the King Henry look...:D

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  29. Nope. Not offhand.
    You probably recall my late cousin (married to a Hein ) LONGTIME Woodburn racer Marv Buchanan, headed Team Woodburn the year for years, WON A WALLY, which very few bracket racers ever did! Started out watching at the Scappoose drags as a kid, raced an Anglia in Gas in the 70's ( The Grape Ape), then this Nova,
    [​IMG]
    Marv was a REAL RACER, never ran a box, no electronics at all, yet whipped those that did regularly. He didn't even run a trans brake! This is through the 90's!!!! He and his wife owned the Pizza Vendor there. A great guy, and, as I said, a REAL drag racer for over 30 years! Everyone knew him, our own Marty Strode knew him too, as did most NW racers. He was also good pals with Del Worsham and family.

30. Thank you for the added info Gary.[/QUOTE]
    I guess they were Standard stations then. This would be the late 30's and 40's through late 50's.

Stogy likes this.