Register now to get rid of these ads!

In the weeds find.. amazing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bear Metal Kustoms, May 7, 2009.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See what happens when one brake works better than the other...................

2. GlenC

GlenC

There's one of these on display at the Australian Museum in Sydney, in the technology section. The story I was told was that Ford's opposition started a scare campaign on the beam axle/buggy spring front ends, that the axle would snap if even slightly stressed and the Ford would crash as a result of a failed front axle. Ford had axles twisted like this to prove they could handle all the twisting forces that could be aimed at it without breaking. That would explain why there's one at an Aussie museum and the World's Fair 'show' too.

Cheers, Glen.

3. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I ain't feelin' it!

Nick.

4. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

That or a wheel bearing froze at high speed.

5. 5window

5window

So you've met my sister?

Interesting axle-I admire the techniqie-and the for5ce it would take to do that. Not sure exactly how I'd envision the front end-solid is cool, drilled is good,too, drilled and chromed a bit too fancy for me and then twisted??

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's bitchin. It would go well with my World's Fair collection. :D

7. banjorear

banjorear

Maybe you can start a new new trend, wrought iron looking front axles.

There are some connecting rods Ford did the same thing to. Neat stuff and cool find.

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

can't imagine how the connecting rods would work considering those were cast :confused:

the twisted axle would look very nice, although I guess it depends on how much difference in width there is. you'd need split bones at the least.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Henry Ford's flathead rods were not cast, they were forged.

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

huh, been thinking they were cast all this time?? learn something new every day:confused:

11. SlamIam

SlamIam

Yes, learn something new every day, usually on the HAMB. Thanks to all for sharing the story behind the twisted axles. I would like to see the machine in operation that twisted these cold!

One of the most beautiful parts in traditional rodding is the dropped and drilled Ford I-Beam axle, could never imagine one twisted until I read this.

12. OK, now I want a bunch of model A or T axles to build a heavy duty super custom screen door for the shop. Maybe a big I beam or railroad iron as a bed. Fabricat a tail stock that would use a steel pin to locate one end of the axle. Make it slide so the axle doesn't have to streatch. That kind of force would require a really big tool. Gotta remember king pin inclination in the design. Fab a head stock that would hold two old truck 4 speeds connected in line. I wonder if the job could be done with a hand crank with the reduction of both transmissions in the very low gear?

13. banjorear

banjorear

I thought the same thing. The heat and force needed to twist that thing so perfectly must be pretty impressive.

14. shainerman

shainerman

I know no history of anything on the subject, but man, thats an awesome looking axle. I hope it goes to good use and the car is worthy of it!

15. 5window

5window

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T This article states that Ford twisted axles 8 times and sent them to dealers for demos-but I couldn't find the reference.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This was done in public at one or more big fairs/exhibitions during the V8 years, but I cannot remember which or what my source is. There was at least one real World's Fair and several big fairs similar to that, like San Diego 1935 and Chicago '33. I just sent off for a book on Ford at the fair, 1933...maybe that will connect.
    They also hung a car from a single wire wheel spoke at one of these to impress fans of metallurgy...
    I can't remember what machine was in the axle picture. It could have been simply a gigantic lathe, but I suspect it was a special tool probably from some testing lab at Ford.
    It is hard to imagine the force needed for that...the things are very hard to drop when HEATED!

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool

it fits my personality..think he would sell it to me?:D

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

VERY COOL! There is one that makes it to Hershey every year, but Not For Sale. I've seen a period photo of one in a test lathe.

20. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Dropping that axle would be a bad idea.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good point, that rubber band balsa airplane deal may come into play and twist the wheels & tires off your ride. :rolleyes:

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one is only twisted three times, and looks about the same as the one at Speedway, which is supposedly one of the originals. By the way, it looks like this one would have to be twisted a little more before you could use it. The spring perch holes don't appear to be aligned properly.

23. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

24. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I saw that also... But.. it is talking about T axles being twisted 8 times.... Jason

25. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

isn't it amazing whats still out there,"in the weeds "so to speak concerning old fords.well old cars in general.thanks for the pic/info. NEXT!!!!!!!!

26. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

Here is a picture of the machine Ford used to twist the axles. Hope the pic. is big enough to see. It's from a book and it's not the biggest pic....SID

www.droppedaxles.com

Attached Files:

27. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I just started to learn from a buddy of mine on 'twisting' (like mentioned with Indian Larry) & will say that is a very kool find...I guess i know what i'm going to do with the xtra 2 axles i have here...

28. BISHOP

BISHOP

I keep looking at that axle, and thinking about what would happen when it slipped out of the machine, and took someones head off.

29. Its not worthless. Saw one go for well over the price of a set of KH 16'' bent spokers awhile ago that had a special made spring for it. I have also heard they were used as show pieces at Ford dealerships to show the strength of the axles they produced.-Weeks