Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inside Oil Pan, Paint or No Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Sep 22, 2008.

1. It’s an old thread,,,,but worth discussion anyway .

I have seen many late model pans,,,,(,80s and 90s),,,,,they were black inside.
    I’m assuming E-coat ?,,,,it was bonded very well ,,,,hard to remove .
    Had to grind it off a few places with a 90 degree sander in order to weld in a baffle for oil control .
    I don’t see what the paint would hurt,,,if the metal is clean underneath it !

Tommy

2. bantam

bantam

Learned the hard way…..do not ever paint the inside of an oil pan. Within a few miles (like 20) the paint started lifting off the pan and clogging the pickup and then getting up inside the engine. Ruined my SBC….at least it wasn’t something rare or super desirable. Still felt pretty bad about it. So did my wallet.

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well if one cares to know , every Cummins Diesel , I have seen the inside of the pan and lifer side pan was painted on the inside .

Desoto291Hemi and leon bee like this.
  4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

If you insist on painting it, use ONLY Glyptol. Anything else will turn to goo and probably plug the intake screen on the oil pump. I leave 'em bare. Nobody's going to look in there anyway.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My question is why ?

6. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I'd be more worried about the glass beads that may be hiding above the pan baffle waiting to be rinsed into the sump by the oil.

Gary

RodStRace and Desoto291Hemi like this.