Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Interesting inexpensive Craigslist cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Feb 21, 2022.

1. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. [​IMG]
    Listed for $600 in Atwater, Ohio.

SS327, Jalopy Joker, 69fury and 2 others like this.
  4. gatz

gatz

5. gatz

gatz

40two, Jalopy Joker and osage orange like this.
  6. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Acres, SS327, Jalopy Joker and 3 others like this.
  7. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. gatz

gatz

osage orange and Jalopy Joker like this.
  9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

osage orange, Paul B, Apenaut and 4 others like this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2024-4-5_21-17-36.png

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. kb cookout

kb cookout

12. kb cookout

kb cookout

13. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

Reminds me of Grease !! but that one was a Ford.

anthony myrick likes this.
  14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grease is the word !!!!!

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

16. gatz

gatz

Zax and osage orange like this.
  17. redo32

redo32

Bend Oregon. $1500

[​IMG]

Squablow, 40two and chevrolet50steve like this.
  18. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

19. RodStRace

RodStRace

Sure hope some of those go to good homes.

20. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Yeah...but:

The UP of Michigan is WAY out of the way for most people. That's a 3.5 hour haul from Milwaukee, WI, each way...and you need a hauling vehicle with a trailer. Twin Cities, more like 6-7 hours each way. Tough location to draw in-person interest, TBH. Factor in the minimum price stated and...

I was a bit concerned by the water clearly visible right near many of the vehicles, too (see last image above). I hope that pic was taken at maximum water height, but, that might be wishful thinking. The floor are probably gone on many of these vehicles, and even if they did have four wheels and tires mounted, the tire probably went flat during the Reagan administration, so that only bought the floorpans a few extra years of staving off the rust.

That green Chevy/GMC panel truck looks to be parked on the high part of the hill, but not sure how many of these will be saved. I hope for the best, but honestly, don't expect many to be purchased. Not sure what the MI lost title process is (assuming none of these have a clean title), but I suspect 98.3% of people will view these as parts vehicles (fair) and see how "far" away they are (also fair) and decide to not even make the trip with an empty trailer.

21. In-the-pink, got any more pics, we all love junkyard pics.

edit: I found the other thread, thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  22. kb cookout

kb cookout

23. arse_sidewards

arse_sidewards

I'm a little less pessimistic. Florence is only a couple hours north of Green Bay.

It's spring. So it probably is just annual surface water from snow melt sitting on top of half-frozen ground it can't permeate.

Even if they're missing floors that's something the local potential buyer pool is probably going to be fine with at the right price. Pretty much every car enthusiast in Michigan will have a few floor replacements under their belt after not too long in the hobby. Floors are a pretty good first serious bodywork project because they aren't as cosmetically important as other stuff.

I don't think anyone expects these cars to get restored to show quality, just driver quality. But that's A LOT of cars to dump onto the local market. I think he's gonna need to price them cheaper, like on the order of what a steering column or dash or front suspension or any other one big assembly would go for, to actually move them.

24. Squablow

Squablow

If the scrap man will pay $400 each, why even bother showing them to people unless you're going to get a bit more than that? $700-$1000 seems right in line with what I'd be asking. Then again, I'm not hitching up my trailer to go get one, so what do I know.

fuzzface likes this.
  25. RodStRace

RodStRace

CURRENT SCRAP PRICES:(as of March 2024)
    Prescott Valley: $130/Ton; $140/Ton for Complete Vehicles
    Flagstaff: $110/Ton; $120/Ton for Complete Vehicles

I know this is regional, and the hassle of single buyers VS the scrapper that pulls in with a forklift, crusher and trailers to haul out, but I don't see $400 per car, especially if they have to come to you and want a volume discount. Anyone here know typical pricing on a scrapper coming in?
    EDIT: the sad face was not added, it was from the markup in the copy and deleting the line break. Strange.

arse_sidewards likes this.
  26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of project cars for sale , .more coming.. parts and labor to restore off the charts... you got the deep pockets or do it yourself..

arse_sidewards likes this.
  27. arse_sidewards

arse_sidewards

I always chuckle when people think their scrap is worth gold. It's like nobody's scrapped a car since the price peak of the 00s.

The scrap man isn't paying $400ea for modern cars let alone 50s-70s cars that are already somewhat picked over. He's paying whatever the rate for mixed metal is or thereabouts. Every junkyard I've known to have closed sold their inventory to another yard and the final price per pound or ton wound up being in the ballpark of the mixed metal rate at the time. Local to me right now that's between $100-150/ton depending on where you go. Cars are a little more, but not much. The cost of the regulatory burden of being an automotive junkyard or dismantler business really drives down the price.

A scrapper coming in will pay far less per ton since they have to do more transport and material handling and do it on your site vs their site where they have a well practiced workflow. I've never heard of a scrapper coming in for cars. It's always industrial stuff with a way higher ratio of heavy iron to sheet-metal.

Regardless, if you do get someone to haul at that point you're down to a price per car that's in the ballpark of "one major assembly". So you might as well sell the cars for $200ea to the people who really want one or two parts that would come out to $100-150 at market rate (say like a column and a seat frame) but can be up sold a whole car if the price is low enough above that.

28. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Hell if I had the real estate I’d go get a few of them just because. I couldn’t imagine having them crushed just because there’s a ton of history and probably a few rare ones in the bunch. Plus I know that we’ve built ones a lot worse than these things are.

One nice thing about it if I could get some of them I can be the guy that says “It’s not for sale I’m going to build it sometime soon” :cool:

arse_sidewards, SS327 and Squablow like this.
  29. fuzzface

fuzzface

not sure if it is still for sale but that 17 acre yard being discussed here was for sale end of last year just shy of a million dollars. wouldn't be surprised if it was sold off for industrial use and giving people one last time to get stuff out of there before they come in and clear it.

there are other business right there too. besides just johns auto parts you have a tru recycling place right there(maybe they brought it?) and they are paying 125 per ton for vehicles. my yard a few hours south is paying $200 ton for cars. anyways john industries is on the same property which builds axles/third members etc. my guess it is probably the same john.

here is an arial of it.

RodStRace likes this.