Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Interesting inexpensive Craigslist cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Feb 21, 2022.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, I have an 8 door Dodge. I haven't seen production figures for any of the makes, but this is a rare option. I've mentioned previously that for a while, I tried to find any Dodges out on the 'net and was able to find about 30. This is in no way an indication of actual numbers, because there are always ones like this that don't show up until they go up for sale.
    The 8 door option was, as far as I can tell, most often used for people movers rather than cargo haulers, although both kinds were built. BTW, it's for sale here. IMG_2036.jpg

Jalopy Joker and ClayMart like this.
  2. gatz

gatz

3. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

I am glad that this car is too far away to sneak down and pick up. That car just calls me and makes my mind work overtime. I can see the car with a 3 inch chop and a traditional built flat head and a whole lot of old school cool going on. It already has the big/small tire thing happening. And it looks good on it.

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

6 hours from the middle of Iowa to valley center...;)
    EDIT:SOLD

5. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

6. You'd put a flathead Ford V-8 in that DeSoto??? Would you also put a '32 Ford grille on it?

Here's an enlarged picture, with an arrow pointing at the unique grille shell:

upload_2024-4-20_8-3-46.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  7. gatz

gatz

Squablow and Jalopy Joker like this.
  8. Never seen a passenger van with the extra LH rear side doors. Years ago I helped a friend do some work on an early Dodge van like yours except it was a cargo van. I didn't even notice the extra doors at first until he opened them all up to give us some better access. His family had a small grocery store and used it for making home deliveries. I told him it looked like a railroad box-car and asked if he ever had any problems keeping hobos out of it.

A nearby small town has/had an early style Ford Econoline cargo van that they used as a fire and rescue support vehicle with the LH cargo doors. It had been maintained in excellent condition and after it was taken out of regular service they used it as a parade and display vehicle. it used to show up at areas car shows and fund raising events but I haven't seen it for a few years.

9. Squablow and Jalopy Joker like this.
  10. This is why I joined Facebook. Their communications were insufficient.

upload_2024-4-20_14-18-46.png

upload_2024-4-20_14-16-34.png

raven, Squablow and Jalopy Joker like this.
  11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Messaged a guy Wednesday about a car through a friend. Nothing. Messaged again Friday. Guy responds today, Saturday with "Come take a look, I don't know what people expect, it's not much money".
    Yeah, it's a good deal but I don't have that much cash sitting under my mattress (bank's closed on the weekend), and it's a 3 hour drive. I wanted to get it for my brother, but I'm not going to deal with an unresponsive guy that has 3 pics of the back end.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/951543176624198/?

alanp561 likes this.
  12. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

I was thinking more along the lines of a Chrysler 6.

Some stock numbers that could be improved with a little work:
    1948 Plymouth Six 217 .436Hp/CI 6.6cr, 95hp
    1957 Dodge Six 230 .6HP/CI 8.0cr, 138hp
    1953 Chrysler 265 .45HP/CI 7.0cr, 119hp

sgtlethargic likes this.
  13. A significant amount of rust-through is showing.

14. Here is a 35/36 Olds with a Cadillac grille and a lot of potential. He wants 8 grand Canadian dollars, converts to 5800 US, not dirt cheap, but maybe you could work the Texaco sign into the deal. At least it has the right number of doors. 1E5B4022-75F0-4529-B1F8-F116D4C7E758.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    38Chevy454, lostn51, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface

were these the goodyear g159 tires? i know they were popular on rv's and i thought they were on uhauls too. if they are goodyear did a voluntary recall on them 19 years later and if you still have them they are/were paying $500 each for them to get them off the street. or if they are on a vehicle they will give you new ones in trade. not sure if they are still honoring this recall but a few years ago they were. recall has only been around a couple of years only so a good chance it still is out there. they made these tires mid-late 90's to I believe 2002-2003 ish.

what i find ironic about it is on the goodyear website is that they recommend you should replace or at least inspect your tires often when they are over 6 years old and if they are 10 years old they insist you replace them but they knew about the problem with blowouts on the g159 but wait until almost 20 years later to do the recall when most should be off the street already just to make them look good for doing it.

g159 tires can still be around in someone's shed. i turned 2 in and got $1,000 for the set from the recall that was sitting in my dad's shed when the recall first came out. we have no clue what they came off of or where that oddball set came from.

16. Looking at the doors, it appears he was about to chop the top.

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Well, they responded again, so I will probably go look tomorrow.
    Rust behind the rear wheels is not a big deal. The area behind the doors is more concerning, but my brother wants a Ranchero with a V8, A/C and 'that' front end. This is his shell in my backyard.
    Provided the one for sale is reasonably solid, this could supply any additional bits. That's another right quarter in the bed, the car has damage at the back and fubar floors.
    ranch.jpg

Squablow and sgtlethargic like this.
  18. The wheels on those u-hauls were 6 lug 22.5s
    Guys want them to replace 6 lug “widow maker” or the split rims in other large 6 lug trucks with 20s. Plus the tires are easier to find.
    Same with 19.5 5 lug dodge motorhome wheels. They fit a lot of old 1.5 ton trucks

19. Yeah- saw that, not sure if it adds or takes away value.