Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Large learning curve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 12, 2015.

1. OK I wonder if we can have a discussion about driving an old car without mega drama. Probably not but lets give it a whirl anyway.

I have been rolling this over in my head for a few weeks. We like old cars or we would not be here, I hope. Some of us have been driving old cars all of our lives, perhaps because it is "cool" or perhaps out of necessity or perhaps just because we do.

There are those among us who have not, they either learned on a late model car, or for whatever reason have been driving late model cars for a long time for whatever reason. If you are one of those people you have had to overcome, or are overcoming a huge learning curve.

Here is an example, when I am driving in inclement weather and I come upon a stop, panic or otherwise I feather (pump) the brakes. It is a habit that I have carried over from my youngest years because old cars do not have antilock brakes.

OK that should get the ball rolling, there are lot of little things that one must remember or do when driving an old car that I no doubt just do and don't think about or have forgotten. So now its your turn, advice from those who do, to those who are still learning. Age is not a requirement here.

302GMC and Zerk like this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I also pump the brakes once or twice.
    But my "habit" if you want to call it that, stems from having to adjust the brakes on my first car, and...just not getting to it in time to have full pedal travel. One or two partial pumps brings it right up to where it should be.
    And even today, my current daily driver (59 Studebaker Lark, 2dr. wagon) while I put discs in the front, the rear still has...manually adjustable brakes...back to the one-two pump.

Mike

3. I'll bet you don't tailgate at speed either. :D

I have found myself coming into a corner way too fast and used my E brake to slow me down so that I could still steer. Again antilock brakes almost if not cures that.

4. midroad

midroad

I always try to have a large gap between me and the car in front. You should do it anyway but more important in your older car with no ABS and rarer parts.

5. 69fury

69fury

Checking for a get away path if someone should brake hard- you'll need somewhere to go-curbside or otherlane. Always keeping tabs of any cars around you.

Starting up in winter? Two slow pushes to the floor on the gas, then foot off pedal while cranking. Then tickle to keep her lit. Found out that 2 squirts off the accel pump do the job, but having that throttle blade closed really speeds up the air to pick up that gas during cranking. Oh and it's an 850 dbl pumper with no choke. -rick.

6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

For the longest time, I would pump the gas a few times before starting up my first daily with fuel injection. Switching over from carbs was a major change for me. I also was hesitant to take off until the choke had done its thing and the engine was a bit warm.

I do miss that.

7. In my youth driving old cars was a necessity,cheap & needing repairs usually meant they were adequate but lacking in the maintenance department so like you pumping brakes has become more of a habit than a necessity today.

I did car a rock for a parking brake if I was on a hill back in the day. :D HRP

8. Another thing to think about is vacuum wipers. I have been known to not stab the gas in a rainstorm not because of loss of traction but to keep my wipers going.

blackout78666 likes this.
  9. Tube radios take a long time to warm up and bias ply tires tend to follow the grooves in the road. HRP

10. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Having to push really hard to stop as mine does not have power brakes. We get lazy with power ABS disc brakes.

11. Its OK nuthin' on AM but talking heads anyway.

It seems like mostly all of my cars the defroster never ever works well. I used to carry a sack of bull duram to wipe the windshield, it will keep your windshield clear for hours. Now I just open up cig butts and keep tobacco on wrapped in a rag to keep my windshield clear.

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

All old cars have their "quirks"... to say the least. You will have to learn what the car likes... and dislikes. They can hate you !!! Each will want to be started a different way (hot and cold), each will want to be at a certain temperature before you will be "allowed" to head down the road. Some people get it... a lot don't. If you have only ever driven injected cars... it can be a challenge.

Each one will drive different too.... the brakes mentioned in a previous post are just one of the things that will be different, usualy the lack thereof. I have restored and built several cars over the years and almost all of them have been upgraded in the stopping department.

As simple as the electrical systems in these cars are.... be ready to experience problems. Mainly from previous "repairs" done by someone with a roll of house wire or an old extension cord... seen them both used. Fix it right and you will be good to go.

Another good move is putting some kind of electronic ignition on them. They run SO much better and you aren't always having to adjust points and replacing burned out condensors... some of which are only replaced with some real poor imported junk that doesn't work long if at all.

Fun to drive?...... you bet your ass !!!!!

13. LAROKE

LAROKE

Double clutching non-syncro transmissions and "square shifting" three-on-the tree shifters to avoid locking up the mechanism between gears.

charleyw likes this.
  14. banjorear

banjorear

My highlight of my AM radio days (this was in VW Bugs in the late '80's-'90's) was listening to Saturday and Sunday with Sinatra.
    Loved the weekends for many reasons and this was one of them.

need louvers ? likes this.
  15. brad2v

brad2v

In my late model winter driver, I'm forever stabbing at the floor with my left foot to operate the high-beams...the switch has yet to be there, however.

16. Greybeard360,
    You are absolutely correct about being quirky. These old cars were quirky when they were new and don't let anyone tell you anything different.

Some cars go around left hand corners different than right hand corners or vice versa. You can't or prudence says that you shouldn't just jump in one and go randy racin'.

Here's one, how many of the fellas have ever driven a car with a locker. I still prefer a locker to a posi or limited slip but if you haven't ever driven one you could be in the a ride. A Detroit for instance is locked when you are going down the road and unlocks (or not) when you corner with it. The older lug lockers are very abrupt, if you haven't been driving one you need to know ahead of time that it is not like an open rear and things are liable to be a little wiggly or feel that way until you are used to it. Panacking will have you farming someone's yard quick.

Or first time you hammer one with a limited slip or a posi and it has enough power to need one you are going to get sideways, that is from the tire that was not spinning trying to catch up with the tire that is.

17. Amen on the poor brakes. I have bent a steering wheel trying to stop..I think you know why.
    I used to let off the gas and gently urge the transmission into a lower gear without using the clutch when coming up to a red light just in case the light turns and I can proceed without shifting.
    Always had some sort of basic tools in the car because you can bet you hiney that something would need fixing when you are driving somewhere.
    Slowing down when negotiating a turn more than I do now because no seat belts and vinyl seats means you can slide all over the seat on a sharp turn.

18. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Never heard the tobacco trick before , have to try it sometime. But the trick for me is remembering to turn off the da

19. The biggest thing is that you have to pay more attention. Longer stopping distances, vacuum wipers, balky carburetors and poor defrosters make it so. I drove trucks for years. Old cars require the same skill set.

A skill that I have to constantly work on is, how to get where I want to go quickly. I hate to be rude to people, but they all want to talk about the car. And, I gotta be somewhere. haha

Montana1 and kiwijeff like this.
  20. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Fat fingers will be the death of me!! What I was saying is remembering to turn of the darn turn signals , no self canceling .

Montana1 likes this.
  21. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Letting the engine warm up before you try to take off on a cold day, course I've been driving old cars since day one. Still try to jump in and go......should know better.

22. wsdad

wsdad

Sometimes when I start from a complete stop on a hill, I still rehearse the procedure for getting going with a manual transmission without rolling back into the person behind you or spitting gravel all over them. It takes a bit of skill and coordination.

First, you have to pull the string on the dash that's tied to the carburetor so as to give it just the right amount of gas. Not too much, not too little! Then you have to reach down and reposition the pin on the clutch pedal so you can pump it until it disengages. Then you grab the socket extension that's stuck down in the transmission to put it in first. Then it's a balance between more accelerator string and clutch leak-down.

You know, to this day, when i want to roll down the window, I still find myself habitually wanting to wait for a straight strip of road before relieving the vice-grips of steering wheel duty.

Sometimes I find myself still wanting to hit the parking brake release after stepping on the brakes.

Am I the only one who still sticks their hand out the window to signal a turn while holding the door shut with their elbow?

Olson, fortynut, Crusty Chevy and 2 others like this.
  23. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Learning to do the math, for gallons to miles, so you know how much gas you have(or don't have)! (walking)

k1w1rodder likes this.
  24. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

That's the key right there. PAY ATTENTION.

kiwijeff and Maverick Daddy like this.
  25. I don't know what to add, pay attention! You have to "Drive" the car or it will drive you. I think a lot of skill has been lost with automatic everything. I lead my brakes in every car I drive, it's a good habbit. People trust all the gadgets in their new cars and panic when they fail. Maybe driver training should be brought back and tought in old cars.

Newer car drivers I think don't care as much because the cars are replacable and you can survive an accedent that will rip you apart in an old car. Walk away and buy a new one. And wait for the lawyer to call of course.

gas & guns and Maverick Daddy like this.
  26. You just need a positraction rear end. :D

Here is one to consider, loose steering boxes. yea I know that we should fix 'em but we don't. My uncle had an F-150 when I first stated driving that was loose as a goose. Instead of gripping the wheel you hold the wheel loosely (even just fingertips) it will help you learn not to over steer.

Short wheelbase cars will swap ends on ya easier then big heavy long wheel base cars. Keep the gas on if the outer tire bites while it is doing this you are going to turtle it.

MCtim,
    When we were kids they taught defensive driving in drivers ed. Pay attention is an understatement here, they don't teach it any more. I have always had an escape plan. That means leaving room, between me and the guy in front of me and knowing where everyone else is.

it did take me a time or two to figure that one out. :eek:

E brakes are important tools, we have a tendency to overlook them. I always try to keep a working E brake.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    mctim64 likes this.
  27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Everyone should be forced to drive a pre75 vw for a year or two

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am enjoying this thread immensely. I learned on a Model A, mechanical brakes, un-synchro trans and a finicky fuel system. I still have it 50+ years later. It is restored but still have to think about what I'm doing. Mechanical brakes, no pumping required...just ample stopping distance and prayer. No automatic spark advance...listen and feel. Armstrong steering. And don't get me started on the ritual to start it. LOL. Oh yeah, folks these days DO NOT know what hand signals are. modela3.jpg

Weezy1930 and mctim64 like this.
  29. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Cool thread .I kinda miss the way i used to fine tune my drum [4] brakes.find a lightly sanded parking lot drive about 10 mphs with the door open to listen to which wheel locks first,tighten the one on the other stde till they match.same on the rears.

30. I know that one well. Although I believe my 58 F-100 has about the best steering I've felt in an old "Fridge" it's still a bit sloppy.