Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Minirace alternators and street use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DannyRuss, Apr 24, 2024.

1. DannyRuss

DannyRuss

As I am preparing to drop my small journal 327 back into my 41’ pickup, I am finding myself looking towards an alternator as a solution to get rid of the generator that is eating up room in my engine bay. At this point my engine is being restricted by the poor flowing block hugger headers, so Ive decided to solve that by installing fenderwell headers. But the fenderwell headers conflict with the generators already limited space between the inner fenderwell. I also am weary of keeping the generator on this engine as I’ve heard generators don’t do well with high rpm (this engine will be turning around 6,500-7k when my foot gets heavy), and last but not least it will allow me to clean up the firewall by getting rid of the voltage regulator and loose wires.

I think my best solution is to do a water pump mounted mini race alternator or at least a nippondenso style case to free up the space by the fender wells. Just wanted to know other peoples experiences using them on street driven cars. Do they put out plenty of amps at an idle? Do they stand the test of time on a street rod that sees a few thousand miles a year or a few hundred at a time on a road trip? And if not any other suggestions?

P.S. I’m running a hurst mount in the front so I can’t do a low mount either.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing better looking on a traditional hot rod than a generator and this is a traditional joint. I’m sure some will agree with you. But most will not .

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Put a large Diameter pulley on the generator like the factory Hi po Corvettes and Fuelie cars had.

427 sleeper and DannyRuss like this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I have no experience with that style alternator but I know many have used the mini denso alternators with no problems.

I bought one for my 31' but haven't got it running yet so I don't have first hand experience with it yet. I believe the one I have is only 50 Amp but no A/C, pwr windows etc, Infact the only "exotic " electronic component I have is a Chrysler electronic distributor triggering a HEI module so I don't see a problem with the Amp output.

Good luck and hope you get it figured out !!

DannyRuss likes this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

There are plenty of import and aftermarket mini 100 anp alternators if that’s the look you want but there are plenty of late GM alternators that make plenty of power also. Just make sure the wiring in your ride is up to snuff so your only making sparks where you need them.

DannyRuss likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

I guess that depends on how you want the truck to look under the hood...if it's a traditional looking 327 other than the alternator, then it'll look pretty funky. The original Chevy alternator used from 63-72 isn't real large, and will work at that rpm, and you get the bonus of keeping an external voltage regulator, which all old hot rods should have.

lots of guys on Drag Week run the little high output alternators, most of them have figured out how to make them live. But they also run lots of high current fans, fuel pumps, water pumps etc that are totally out of place on a traditional build

good luck with your decision. I'm also not a fan of generators...too many issues with them, and it's getting pretty hard to find parts/service to keep them working when you're in a pinch.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A solution that used to be seen sometimes. Mount it to the rear axle, driven by the drive shaft. But of course it doesn't charge unless the car is moving.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_2895.jpeg My son uses the same 60 amp mini on his race car and his GMC 6 powered 40 Chevrolet Coupe. It’s never been a problem or not supplied enough power for his car. It would depend on your creature comforts. A generator is usually 30-40 amps.

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

DSCF2727.JPG
    The "mini" on my 327. An '80's Suzuki Samarai application adversitised as55 amp. I see they're $70 to $100 now on Rock Auto. It's been to 6500 RPM a few times.

Gaey

mad mikey, swade41, DannyRuss and 2 others like this.
  10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

They are a nice mini alternator that's easy to hide down low. That makes them even less inconspicuous. Paint them engine color or if mounted real low paint them black and they almost dissappear.

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

If you can live with 20a Alternator.
    Use a mini Alternator off a Kubota tractor [most people will think it is an idler pulley]

upload_2024-4-25_21-18-29.png

69fury, VANDENPLAS, Stan Back and 7 others like this.
  12. DannyRuss

DannyRuss

I don’t disagree with you, and I love a traditional hotrod, but I think at some point everyone has to realize their objective with their build and draw a line in the sand between form and function. Ultimately this is not a vehicle I can bring to trog but it is a vehicle I can bring to the strip a few times a year and put a lot of street miles on (where it might be advantageous to be able to get parts from a local parts store). Besides the ultra traditional ship sailed when the engine got an air gap intake and a double pumper.

13. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Just be SURE to add up ALL of the power hungry amperage items (fuel pump, radio, electric windows, fan(s), etc.) and buy an alternator that can feed all of them at the same time !!

Mike

mad mikey and DannyRuss like this.
  15. RodStRace

RodStRace

I know I'm in the minority here on this, but the GM lump is just ugly.
    [​IMG]
    Being a Mopar guy, their alt looks nice.
    [​IMG]
    I prefer the late model minis over even the single wire GM alt.

squirrel and DannyRuss like this.
  16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as amp output you have to figure out how many amps you need to cruise around at night with the lights on and what ever if any accessories you have.

Mini alternator = I'd want one that fit a lot of years and a lot of models so it was a normal stock item in most parts houses. For the same reason we run 10 Si 12 Si or CS 130 Delco alternators rather than some that might be hard to find on short notice.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can buy them black and a lot of early V8’s (not Chevrolets) have large timing chain covers and water pumps that let you mount them in front of heads and blocks.

DannyRuss likes this.
  19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's nice to find out that some of your "exotic" components are available as replacement parts at local auto parts stores. The fuel injection pump (yeah, I know -- it's just an example and you can't see it) on my Plymouth is a Ford Mustang GT part. I know, I had to replace it after a few years.

51504bat likes this.
  20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I’ve had the same small Denso tractor alternator in use since 2005 it has to have 60K miles on it by now. I think it puts out 35-40 amps. While they don’t look traditional you can mount it way down low and it won’t be very noticeable.

jimmy six, acme30, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  21. 42merc

42merc

No down low mounting.
    He's using a Hurst type engine mount.

22. Blake 27

Blake 27

I used a late 80s Chevy Sprint 55 amp...

A-5.JPG

nochop and 1biggun like this.
  23. 1biggun

1biggun

Ill see if I can find a pic were a guy had his mini alternator mounted right off the Hurst style mount it was pretty slick so I snapped a few picks of it . It was on a severely channeled A with some other cools stuff .

He had that alternator in really tight and it was barely noticeable. Not traditional but the car sure looked good .

I stopped running generators when my 61 impala had one come apart at about 8000 RPM with a 327 in it at Sears Point CA in about 1979 took out the hood , fan radiator what a huge mess .

I plan on running the alternator off the rear end on my glass body 27t . Ill be running a Mag however so even if I was in stop and go traffic for a day it will stay running .

Those 5o amp mini worked good on the factory cars they came on . I have soem really small MINI Mitsubishi alternator that was of a V6 Mitsubishi from around 1999 or earlier . same unit was on a big cat forklift also .