Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A sedan roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack Az, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Jack Az

Jack Az

upload_2024-4-21_15-42-21.jpeg
    This is my Model A, when I built it I did not fill the roof and now I'm rethinking my decision. At the Roundup this weekend I saw a car with a sheet of aluminum over his and I thought it would tie in well with the aluminum on the inside of my car. I will be fabricating two more bows to go on each side of the one that is there. I want it thick enough to be sturdy but thin enough to work with. So my question is: how thick should the sheet be???? Bless me with your knowledge guys!

Attached Files:

2. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I have steel bows and a steel jeep grand Cherokee roof panel I was going to use. The panel fits that car very well and you are welcome to it for free if you can pick it up. Message me if interested.

3. loose1

loose1

When I filled mine I used a first gen caravan roof. worked perfectly.

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I still need to come up with one for my 31'

It's on my to-do list along with 80% of the rest of my car !

Are you gents using just the skin and creating your own inner roof structure? Or are you using some of the original donor car roof structure?

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

You can also do a stay fast convertible top material removable roof insert. I have done this with great success. One thing it does is cut down on the heat from above.. You can actually snap it all around, this one on this A has an awning rail up front, it worked ok, but the shop that did it didn't quite do what I wanted at the leading edge, but It was waterproof, and worked flawless. Best part is on the nice days, you can pull it off for the almost roadster feel!

4.jpg

My 34 I did a 1/4" plywood with elevator bolts and wrapped in vinyl. This was a temp roof insert that is removable also. Its not perfect just to keep the rain and sun out. I think the alum bare will get old for your roof unless you have it all Louvered up. Plain it just is too much aluminum.

34-53.jpg

6. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

to answer your question
    I would use .050 2024T3 aluminum,
    this should be thick enough to not oil can
    do you plan to roll it a bit?
    if so .040 may work for you

7. Jack Az

Jack Az

I'm planning to roll a little to match the existing bow that's there, plus add two more bows and the sheet will be on top of those.

8. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

Do you plan to buff it?
    2024 has a thin coat of pure aluminum and will buff out very nice