Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My latest acquisition- '29 AV8 Tudor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dwollam, Nov 1, 2016.

1. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks. You might have missed my correction in a later post. The hole measures 15/16" and the glass is about 1 1/16" or just slightly more. There is a groove around the base where it sits on the headlight shell and the bottom pokes down into to the hole with a spring in a circle that it pops into to hold it in place. I will try to get the remaining one out of the hole without breaking it and get a good picture.

Dave

2. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I did notice on the BW photo of the frame with the body and grill shell that there appears to be a dropped and stretched axle (32-36) with the spring ahead of the axle center line with the radius rod spring hangers intact, funny that he would use a non-dropped axle on the completed version of the car. Of course if he wanted fenders he had to move the spring back on centerline otherwise the tire to fender placement would be off. I would be curious if he remembed why he did not use that dropped axle

3. dwollam

dwollam

Hey, sharp eye ya have there! I hadn't noticed that. I believe it has the same radius rods because the front spring perches have been cut off. I would guess that as soon as he acquired the body and fenders he found the spring in front would not work but that doesn't account for the axle. It has a '40 axle now. One has to remember he built this car as a daily driver, not as a hot rod, so maybe it was too low for everyday driving. That is why it had big stock oval mufflers, because he wanted it quiet and practical. He drove it for years as his only car. Not me, I still want to hear the Flatty!

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Very cool ! I'm in the process of building one just like it. Mine will be a little uglier than yours, though. It's a money thing.
    '29 tudor, 49 8BA flathead, top loader 3 spd pickup trans, '37 spindles with '40 brakes all around, aluminum radiator, full fender rat rod, if you will.

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Subbed, what a rad old sedan.

6. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks! I wish our weather would go away so I can get back at these projects. We have had snow on the ground since December 6th. One fellow said there has been 64" total snow fall since then. Last night the wind blew really hard and it has warmed up some. A lot of the snow has melted and now has been raining hard. Hoping for no floods. I'm not in a flood zone at all but it is down hill to my big shop doors so I get some water inside even in heavy rain but just wet, not damaging. However now I have a ton of snow and ice piled in front of the 4 garage doors. That's not going to help.

Dave

Old-Soul likes this.
  7. dwollam

dwollam

Wheels and tires are all done. Found that the clutch was stuck so removed the floor boards and inspection cover. Everything in clutch area is super clean. Ended up starting it in gear while on jack stands and pushing in clutch pedal and tapping brake. Clutch finally let loose with a small bang. Slipped the clutch a few times to "polish" the flywheel and clutch. Works fine now.

Since the old floor boards were really rough, I decided to do new ones. I had a set of stockers I had picked up cheap at a swap meet so I modified them to fit. the toe board is raised 1 1/2" to clear pedals and tranny and lower board was trimmed to clear tranny top and shifter. Seat is back about 2" so floor feels like stock as far as leg/foot room. A stock floor mat should work ok too I think.

I also got the 22" Smithy's mufflers installed, still need turn out short tail pipes to exit in front of the rear wheels as Gordon had originally.

Next project is carb rebuild. I bought a couple new kits that are modern gas compatible.

I am going to remove the 2 extra gas tanks underneath as 1 of them has small leaky spots and they both have really old rotten gas/varnish in them. Gordon drove this as a daily driver and wanted more gas available but I don't see me needing more than the stock original 10 gallon tank. It, BTW, is nice and clean as it was left empty.

8. dwollam

dwollam

Here is another pic I missed somehow. It is a fairly early one. Still has the headlights sitting up high and running boards are still black. Also has the aluminum hood top with louvers and without the aluminum hood sides. Hood top soon got replaced with a steel smooth one that had a remote cable latch and the louvered sides went back on. Dark body, white top, kinda like the dog!

You can clearly see the BLC 904-a headlights, still painted. They later got chromed. I have just ordered replacement brass tags for them from HAMB member 193257 Rick Bales as the originals were misplaced when removed for chroming. As you may recall, one of the park lenses is also missing. I finally pulled the left side one off for careful measuring and I didn't have it in my hand more than 10 seconds and dropped it on the concrete floor! Of course it broke but it was only part of the base and shouldn't show when re-installed. I have purchased some cast clear acrylic rod and will attempt to make some new lenses on the lathe since I have looked for replacements with no success at all.
    img010.jpg

9. dwollam

dwollam

When I tore apart the carb to rebuild I found the float was full of gas. It had not flooded over at all until the very last time I started it so I shut the petcock off and ran it a bit afterwards to clear it up a bit. Inside the float bowl was a little crusty but not bad considering how many years it had been since last run. 1978 was the last tags on the license, 2000 was when Gordon got it back had not even been turned over since then for positive. I got a spray can of carb cleaner but it needs more than that especially on the outside so I will get a gallon can of carb cleaner today and start soaking it. I robbed a float out of a truck carb with a governor and other than the center section of that carb not much else is usable anyway.

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. Any more progress on this beauty ? I need an update !

11. dwollam

dwollam

Not much, weather has not been cooperating. Original owner stopped by yesterday just to visit. Soon, I promise. Soon!

Thanks for checking!

Dave

Denns1989 likes this.
  12. dwollam

dwollam

I am off to the Portland Swap Meets day after tomorrow (Wednesday). One of the things I am looking for is another marker lens for the BLC 904a headlights for this car. Can't believe I have not found a single one yet! I will buy a complete light if I have to. Hopefully much less than the $100 for a single that people seem to want for them.

Dave

13. vbarker

vbarker

Did you fine that lens?

14. dwollam

dwollam

Nope Vern, no lens yet.

Dave

15. dwollam

dwollam

Well.... I have finally got back to working on this sedan! It was a long winter and much of life was getting in the way.

We finally sold our internet provider business and as of June 15th I am officially retired! Now I can get back to all my projects.

Also for the last 2 months I have been working on a 1988 S-10 mini truck dirt oval racer for my youngest son Kenny. I won our local mini truck championship in 1997 and retired from competition after that season. 20 years later Kenny decided to follow my Dad and my examples, all 3 of us running 10 as our numbers. Dad also won championships over the years. I had offered to buy the paint and paint it for him. We he brought it over I found it in such terrible shape that I spent all my time preparing it to race. It was the only stock engine in the class. It has a 22r Toyota in it. He went from 1 of the slowest the 1st night to 5 race nights later he turned 2nd fastest by only .004 seconds slower than the fastest truck. 20r head, bigger carb, cam, tires, suspension setup, and cutting out nearly 250 pounds of metal! Now this Saturday July 1st, yours truly will drive it for Kenny as he will be gone that weekend. Been 20 years since I last raced. The points go to the truck so I am helping keep him in the running. He just moved into 4th in points. Has won 2 heat races, 2nd and 3rd in trophy dash and up to 4th in the mains.

Anyway, enough for off topic stuff. I have the sedan on the lift and am working on the under side repairing what things need fixed, changing oil, finishing exhaust, etc. I worked on the front motor mounts a few days ago. While doing that I found some messed up bare wires, so that is getting replaced too.

The firewall had been covered with a single sheet of aluminum that was quite pitted and ugly so I cut all that out and have welded all extra screw holes etc and am just about ready to give it a few coats of white paint to go along with all the other white like the top and running boards and interior pieces.

My plan is to get it done enough to take it to Bonneville this August. I am not going to repaint it. I will try to get matching paint so I can spot in the bare metal work the Gordon had started but that will be it. She has lots of patina and other than polishing it up it will stay that way.

The old gal has plenty of crude old welds and such but I am only fixing what really needs it and leaving it as original to the build as possible. It may not be totally done by mid August but it will still be there for Speed Week. I think it will be well liked.

Yeah, I know! If no pics then it didn't happen! I promise, there will be more pics in the very near future.

Dave

Old-Soul likes this.
  16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Dave,

What's the firewall that is on this car? It doesn't look original. From the earlier pictures in this thread I see flat panel but I think you removed that to reveal a more "original" firewall. But it doesn't look like an A firewall.
    Nice car and glad you are back on it!
    Paul

17. dwollam

dwollam

Paul, it is an original '29 firewall. I will show some pics of it soon.
    Thanks,
    Dave

18. dwollam

dwollam

As promised. here is a pic of the firewall now painted white.

20170629_132855.jpg

Not that many days left until time to leave for Bonneville Speed Week. With all the extra holes welded up on the firewall and having it painted white I can finish assembly and take it for a test ride, eventually. Many little things to finish up!

Denns1989 likes this.
  19. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

The firewall looks great Dave! And thanks for putting up the picture. I like that better than the firewall on my 30 A.

JPaulB likes this.
  20. Man what a great car!! I don't know how I missed it the first time around! Good stuff!

21. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks Nash and Cactus!
    I am going to put chrome plugs in the stock fuel filter hole and the choke rod hole. The rest of the holes get used.

Dave

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have not done this in 10 years but... I made lenses for guide 682s from "junk"...
    There are some $.50 toys in Candy Machine style coin operated rigs at the grocery store entrance...
    they come in 2 pce. round containers, some tops are clear, some frosted... white rattlecan overspray will frost the inside of them...you could scratch some fluting into the plastic lens with a drimal tool...
    Find the "right size" and with a hot knife [candle] cut a tapered slot for the anchor screw to clear the new lens...
    memory says I had to shorten them a little, if so, shorten them first then cut the slot....rigidity.
    but they fit, looked ok and worked... $1.00 pr. total.
    these were a little smaller ...1.75" OD ...
    DSCN0933.JPG
    larger lenses... 2" OD ...
    DSCN0934.JPG
    clear and frosted lenses... both 2" ID ... DSCN0937.JPG
    if any of these will help send me an address and they are your's...

23. dwollam

dwollam

Hey thanks! Unfortunately these lenses are only 15/16" so finding things to fit are tough. But I will look for similar plastic domes that might work. I did buy some cast acrylic to try to turn some on my lathe but I am a real beginner at that.

Dave

24. dwollam

dwollam

I have made some progress on this car finally. Since my son started racing mini truck on dirt oval I have been using up every spare minute I have. He got his first trophy last Saturday night, along with 4 heat race wins and several second place finishes.

Anyway.... here are some pics of my progress. I had to build a new battery box as the old one was ate up and terrible looking, plus it would only accommodate the group 1, 6 volt battery and I wanted to use the larger group 2. Seems to take forever cleaning up and repairing items but it is at least getting closer to being drivable!

Ignore the battery cables and their routing, it's only temporary!

Dave

20170710_152449.jpg 20170710_152458.jpg 20170710_152523.jpg 20170710_172613.jpg 20170710_172629.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    slv63, biggeorge and Denns1989 like this.
  25. dwollam

dwollam

Here is pretty much what she will look like! Trial fitted the radiator, '32 grill and shell and 3 piece hood.

I am debating whether to have some matching paint mixed and spray the bare metal (after a touch of filler and primer) and the grill shell, or should I use red oxide primer on the bare spots and call it good?

Dave

20170710_205550.jpg 20170710_205614.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  26. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

looks good to me

28. I would start with some red oxide & then in the future consider blending the primer spots in with matching paint, focus on driving the wheels of it first !

dwollam and biggeorge like this.
  29. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Unbuffed lacquer would give you about the same sheen as the rest of the car. Don't know if anyone even makes lacquer anymore, as I've been out of the body trades for close to 40 years. Lacquer goes on easy, dries fast and used to be pretty cheap ...,uh, inexpensive, ha,ha.

30. dwollam

dwollam

I dropped off the rear window trim today which is painted the same color as the body, at a place in Redmond Oregon called Tinbenders. He is the local expert for mixing matching paints. He said the very fine metallic in this blue is no longer produced be he does have a fair supply of it. Getting a quart mixed in a couple days. I have quickly buffed out the drivers door and it polished right up. The car has a lot of years of mung and goo on it. Plus a ton of nicks and scratches and thin spots but I thinks that's what is cool about it! So rub it out a little bit is what it will be. Never ever gonna be a shiney new street rod.

Dave

cactus1 likes this.