Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help please to identify Hilborn angle drive

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harv, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I bought this angle drive a long time ago, with plans to cut it down to suit a Holden grey motor. Lots of measuring shows there is not enough meat to do that. Ended up using a period McGee drive.

I need to pass the drive along to a new owner, as I will not use it. It’s has a tach drive, a tang drive on the top, a hex drive on the side, and what appears to be an oil pump drive tang in the skinny end.

Appreciate any help please in identifying what engine it suits.

IMG_1079.jpeg IMG_1080.jpeg IMG_1082.jpeg IMG_1083.jpeg IMG_1084.jpeg IMG_1085.jpeg

Cheers,
    Harv

tractorguy and Deuces like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

that looks like it fits most Chevy V8 engines, ie. the small block and big block.

Look for pictures of Chevy distributors, you'll see the resemblance.

3. Chevy. Those were used before the gear drive front covers became more common.

4. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Thanks gents - much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Harv

Deuces likes this.
  5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Kudos to good pictures with measurements!

6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I've got one just like it. Yes Chevy small or big block engines. The side drive opposite the tach drive is for a fuel pump, an older Hilborn design that was a sliding vane kind of thing. The drive for a distributor is in line with the drive gear, and accepts a Chrysler distributor drive. Mine is set up with a Vertex mag. I'm working out how to adapt it to drive a PG150A0 Hilborn fuel pump, which has a hex drive shaft. I don't think they're particularly rare, so cutting one up to fit something else seems like a good way to get a mechanical tach drive, a fuel pump drive, and an ignition drive all in one.

Deuces likes this.
  7. The unit he has - uses the more modern hex drive for the injector fuel pump - so I think one can mount most any modern pump. Yours must be for the older "tang" drive. You mentioned that a Chrysler distributor drive works with these - as I'm not an early Chrysler guy, do you know what engines or years?

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

My bad! Didn't see the hex drive... I don't know much about Chrysler stuff, so I can't tell you what the drive accepts. I'll take a picture of the bottom of the magneto base and post it. Too bad Harv you're on the other side of the world. If you were closer, I'd offer to acquire yours. It'd save me having to make a part to adapt my pump to the one I have...

9. The only bad part about using a drive like this (for a mechanical pump) is that you're fixed as far as the pump drive ratio. With that said as long as your pump flows enough fuel for your engine and you tune the main pill as such, you'll be okay.

10. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I've now listed the item on evilBay.

If anyone who has posted above wants it, please PM me and I'll take it off eBay and make you a smoking deal on it. Happy to post it to you Dave if that would work - it would only cost me $US40 to mail it to you.

Cheers,
    Harv

11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the offer, but I'm good with just one.