Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Feature: Watch Forums, Threads, And just about anything else

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ryan, May 12, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's a neat new feature... You can watch shit! How about that?

No, seriously. Let's say I'm super into period correct hot rods and I want to see every last thread in that forum as they are posted. All I have to do is "watch" the forum. First, go to the forum in question and click on the "watch forum" link towards the top right part of the screen.

watch.jpg

Once you click that, you are given a number of different options:

watch2.jpg

You can have the H.A.M.B. send you a notification anytime a new thread is posted or anytime any content at all is added to the forum (post or reply).

And once you pick out what you want there, you can then tell the H.A.M.B. how you want to be notified. You can either have the H.A.M.B. alert you (lightening bolt icon on the top right side of the screen) or you can have the H.A.M.B. send you an email. Cool, right?

You can also watch individual threads, albums, etc...

MrEarl likes this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Sure was a long week!

3. 270ci

270ci

So all old subscribed threads in manage your account are gone?

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, they are now listed as Watched Threads.

5. In the old watch threads, you could assign the watched threads to folders, is that still there somewhere?

6. I was worried but they are in your watched threads!

7. Have been waiting to see if this feature will be in the new version, I really liked it in the old version. Used it as a reference to go to threads that had info useful to my build, and just fun stuff on here. I have 12 pages of watched threads.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't have any plans to add folders at the moment. Sorry.

9. Thanks for replying Ryan, could you keep the idea way on the back burner if there ends up being some interest from the membership?

10. Is there some way to sort these? I have 18 pages of watched threads. I used to have them sorted as, "Riviera" threads, "Model T" threads, "Front Axle" threads, "Brakes" threads, etc. so I could find them easily. Scanning 18 pages is a pretty big hassle...

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've had enough interest and have put it on the project list... So, stay tuned... No idea how hard this will be to do.

12. Sounds good, the "watched thread" folders made for a great reference library.

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

How can I "unsubscribe" from specific watched threads? I have a LOT of watched threads, and I'd like to trim them back so I don't get so many notices.

14. Click on the thread, go to the first post, and then on the left side, click on "Unwatch Thread".

15. Scroll to the bottom of the page for one of your subscribed threads. At the bottom of the "Reply" window, click on the "More Options" button to open the Advanced Reply window. Below the Reply To Thread button, clear the "Options" check boxes for Watch This Thread and Receive Email Notifications to unsubscribe.

edit to add: Or you can do it the easy way like RICH B says. :D Slacker. :rolleyes:

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, that worked.

I tried this several times on the same thread, but it kept reappearing. Thanks for the suggestion.

17. I'm not receiving e-mail notifications of thread updates or conversations sent. This has been happening for about the last month. I can't see where any of the settings are different. Is there something I shud be looking for that may have unknowingly been changed? Thanks!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. I installed the latest update and can't find my subscribed threads at all. It's like half the features have been removed.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I also having a problem with watched threads, newer ones don't show up but every new post does..I swear I touched nothing!!

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have discovered that my Watched threads notification by e mail are going to the spam folder, so were my face book..Fixed the Face book [I think} but can't do any thing with the Watched threads...I'd tried un watch and watch again but they still go to spam..

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ryan,
    I've been eagerly awaiting this feature to be reborn. Prognosis? I really need to get after a giant housekeeping / purge / reorganization. I hope you might have some good news for us soon. Gary

RICH B likes this.
  22. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I use app exclusively (android-samsung). I see on members profile, they have "following, or followers"...
    If I want to follow specific members for alerts to new posts, is this only available PC, or is there a way to do it on phone app?

. . .

23. There seems to be certain site features that don't work well, or at all, with the app. Try accessing the site using the browser on your mobile device and see if that get's you where you want to go.