Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Here Hydramatic Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by theold52, Mar 25, 2017.

1. theold52

theold52

Hi guys. I am new to the site. Might be posting in the wrong section, but here goes.
    I have a 1952 Oldsmobile 88 with a dual band/drum hydramatic. It slipped bad. Disassembled, and discs are shot as well as the whole inside is varnish and dirty. I was given a 1955 slant pan. Disassembled, and it is all rebuilt. Really nice.
    Can't seem to get a definitive answer as to using the slant pan. I would need to switch my intermediate and mainshafts, and they do fit. I did check end play in both boxes. Looks logical to attach the bell housing and my torus and all will fit. Rear output shaft same. Valve body shift the same.
    I was told that I can't do this. Trans won't bolt up right. Need some advice. I don't see why it won't bolt up. Any input appreciated. Thanks. Robert

2. According to some old B&M info. I have it should fit. But I think you need to use the '55 bell housing in order to keep the bottom of the pan level...

3. I had another 49 coupe with a 58 pontiac tri-power and i put a 55 pontiac single coupling hydramatic with a slanted pan. I'm just guessing that all the guts are identical. ....but who knows

4. dan griffin

dan griffin

A slant pan has to use the slant pan torus and bell housing also the yoke.

warbird1 likes this.

5. theold52

theold52

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed to know. Many inside parts are the same as my '52 except the front band servo. I understand now that if I used my early housing the pan would not be level. One side would be lower, one higher. I bought some Kalifornia Chem Dip thinking it would be no good.
    To my surprise, it completely devarnished the rear servo and made it look brand new with two hours soaking. Hard to believe the car moved at all with all the varnish and worn plates.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You can use the slant pan, as long as you have a slant pan bell housing from a 1954-56 Oldsmobile. Depending on the torus cover and the torus members, you may also need to use the slant pan torus members too. The flywheel should bolt up to either torus covers. The slant pan driveshaft yoke may also be needed.

warbird1 likes this.