Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New member new car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Molinellihornet, Oct 30, 2016.

1. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Keep it up , I love Hudson`s yours reminds me of the film Porkys
    I have used toilet cleaner with limescale remover on seriously blocked rads and cooling systems put a couple of pints in then top up with water run up-to temp then leave stand for day or two run again until gets hot then drain flush again until all loose crap comes out and water is clear, you should be alright to then fill with correct coolant mix
    Good luck
    Dave

Molinellihornet likes this.
  2. I would knock out the freeze plugs and flush the block before you run it. Its easy to do on the Hudson 6. There's a lot of crap in the block that's going to plug that radiator you've put so much work into. You'll be a happy man if you do this. I've done this on all my Hudson's and am always amazed at how much crud comes out.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Loose Ctrl likes this.
  3. How do I flush the engine with the head off ? Should I just keep wire brushing ? I don't really want to put the freshly cleaned head back before I clean the bottom end

Sent from my SM-G903W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Knock out the freeze plugs on the driver's side of block. There's three of them. One at front, one in the middle behind the coil, one at rear of block. After they're out just flush it out with a garden hose or pressure washer if you have one. May want to seal off the cylinders since you have the head off just to keep water/crud from possibly rising up through a coolant port and getting into a cylinder. Even if that did happen it wouldn't be a huge deal with head off.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. OK getting ready to pull the valves out ..originally thought one was stuck open so I figured after all the head work I might as well pull the . Deck the block and lap the valves and maybe get the Pistons down and run a dingle hone thru them

6. Finally got the oil pan off ...not too much sludge and the bottom end looks pretty clean. Rubbed vaseline all over cam and exposed gears . Going to clean the pan and pick up and re install and pack the oil pump with vaseline and move back to the top of the motor

Loose Ctrl likes this.
  7. TexasRay

TexasRay

8. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Sweet project

9. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

great seeing a project thats not a merc or the standard ford/chev builds

Molinellihornet and Racer29 like this.
  10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow you are making progress quickly . The inside of your engine looks cleaner than my 57 Y-block did.

11. Well bottom end is done in my books lol oil pan and pick up is clean and painted with a fresh gasket as well ! Going to start bolting the top end back tomorow

12. We're getting there guys....cylinder head back on and oil pump packed full of vaseline

13. Humboldt Cat likes this.
  14. Loose Ctrl likes this.
  15. Have no spark at all . Thought coil was bad so I bought a new one and still no spark ....took distributor off and bench tested coil and condenser and have a small spark but can't seem to get anything when turning over the car

16. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

Try powering the coil directly from the battery. If it works, something is grounding the coil. If it doesn't, check inside the distributor and make sure nothing is grounding out inside there. The wire coming into the points should have an isolator block to keep from grounding them out. I've seen them missing and cause problems like you describe.

17. Well having lots of problems with the wiring of the car and the lack of my diagnosis skills lol so I'm going to start re wiring one wire at a time .....1st question that comes to mind ...when I run a wire from ignition to coil ....does it go thru anything else like a resistor or fuse able link?

18. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Molinellihornet and Loose Ctrl like this.
  19. Wish I could upload video but I don't know how ...anyways I sorted out my spark and the car sputtered to life .....but the carb is shot and will only run with squirting has or ether down the throat lol

..took my carb apart and I'm cleaning it now .....I don't want nor can I afford a rebuild kit right now ...I just want to make the 3 main gaskets . What materials can I make for the middle and float gasket ? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

slv63 likes this.
  20. scotts52

scotts52

Usually a good local auto parts store will be able to hook you up with some gasket material. Be sure to check all the passages for crud. I've sometimes used sewing needles to clear tiny little passageways.

21. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

just go to your local garage. With luck one your kinda friendly with or who are old car friendly.
    The amount you need is so small that with luck they will just give it to you. They have it in rolls so an of cut wont mean a thing to them.

22. OK so carb is all cleaned out and put back together. And I installed a inline fuel filter incase there is any junk in my tank lol ...hopefully I can get her to hold a idle .......question for you guys .....I got some psi gauges at work and I want to plumb one on the motor for my oil pressure? Where do people usually hook these things up to ? .....I'll take a pic of the gauge when I get to work