Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New member, new car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Husqy510, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Husqy510

Husqy510

Just picked up this car that's been in storage for nearly 40 years and was hoping you guys might have some insight on parts. My plan is to get it running and driving for cruising to local cars and coffee, but I don't think the current induction will work with my plans. The blower looks to be an old gm 671 and it obviously has the Hilborn injection. It also has an old mag with the fuel pump driven off the side. 20220811_164053.jpg 20220811_103205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2022
  2. Some will hate just because you found it.......get it running and have fun ! Oh....and welcome !

Outback, deadbeat, Baumi and 5 others like this.
  3. Welcome to the HAMB from the PNW. And umm, no offense @Husqy510 but ya might wanna identify the vehicle in question ( I.e tri-5 Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler) and also list your location etc..

lowrd, alanp561 and chevy57dude like this.
  4. Husqy510

Husqy510

Thanks for the welcome. The car is a 55 Bel Air with a blown injected sbc and power glide that the guy used to street race in the 70's. It needs a fair amount of work, but it will be back on the road.

The plan is to install a new fuel system and a couple carbs. I also need to go through the brakes as it currently only has rear disc and no front brakes at all. It also has no floor or firewall, just aluminum panels.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Interesting with the nozzles up in the scoop.

deadbeat and alanp561 like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well props to joining and to putting another oldie back on the road.

oliver westlund likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wow that’s a cool one!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Husqy510

Husqy510

I thought that was odd as well, but I don't know anything about these old Hilborns. It also has injectors below the butterflies.

wicarnut likes this.
  9. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time capsule.Very cool.

10. Wow! '55 150. Hope the engine's ok on the inside. Cool car.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. grdra1

grdra1

I love it, more pics please

12. Budget36

Budget36

Wow. I realize cruising to a cars and coffee on a weekend, you don’t need a blown and injected small block, but it sure would be fun!!!

13. Welcome from Virginia. Tri-5 Chevys have a wide list of parts suppliers. Have fun with it.

14. 55' 2 door post, blown SBC (hopefully a 4 spd)..what's not to like.
    That's a project I could get myself into.

15. Welcome, and cool car.
    I don't know if I would change a thing.
    There is nothing "practical" or particularly "mannered" or "reliable" about traditional hot rods.
    I think rolling into a cars and coffee with a period correct blown, injected, '55 street racer would be the bomb.
    Good luck with it, whichever way you decide to go
    And, post more pics!
    Chappy

16. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Welcome to HAMB! Love your '55. Kinda like what Chappy444 said, that'd be cool! Good Luck!

17. Man, that is WAY cool! I would have to get it running as-is with the injection. What a cool old drag car!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Welcome to the HAMB.

That car is cool just the way it is. Wash it and get it running and drive that thing! Leave the blower and everything!

19. SS327

SS327

Run it as is, you’d have to be nuts to pull that engine. You’ll be the coolest one there! And in a car with history to boot. Polish the paint and aluminum, change the oil and filter, rebuild the braking system and go.

20. Budget36

Budget36

I can see both sides….as is, or something a bit simpler. Going through a 50 year old blower and injection setup, is going to cost (to me) a lot of money. Putting a different intake on it, is easier on the pocketbook and might also be a quicker way to the highway.
    But that said, if I had the time, knowledge and resources I’d sure like to make it work like it was 50 years ago.
    But I’m betting the original guy who built it didn’t have that Tshirt that said “Injection is nice, but I’d rather be blown”. ;)

21. SS327

SS327

You can tell he liked to be injected and blown. :oops:

22. Budget36

Budget36

23. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s a wicked setup but probably not very well behaved in traffic, not to mention pricy to get going again. I wouldn’t wanna change it.. so it’d probably sit for a long time.

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Welcome! Where are you from? If you want to save some money then just take the injection off and put dual quads on top of the blower. It's all together now so try to get it running with carburetors. Good Luck and really cool car.

Pat

25. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Welcome!

I would have to make it safe, leave as much of it as you can like it is and enjoy the hell out of it! And the fact its not all gassered out is so refreshing!

Hollywood-East likes this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sure woke up the troops this morning. You might as well have walked into the barracks and started banging the trash can lid like in the military.

Welcome.
    I hate you. :)

27. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

There are lots of things to be done to this car. Start by taking off the old blower and injectors ....
    send them to me. Oh, and please don't forget the scoop. I'll take the fuel tank also; you don't want that thing hanging off the front.
    Welcome to the HAMB and have a great time with the car.

Outback, Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

That's good stuff!

29. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

This is Ridiculous...
    Doood.. You have one of the koolest 55's Ever unearthed... Geezuzzz!!
    Wonder if this car is related to the modal A gasser thread Going on right now?
    We need back story/history, State etc.
    Straight up B(.)(.)Bie's

30. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Welcome to HAMB Hysqy510 ! If this is your first find its a great one that is going to be lots of fun . Whatever occurs just be patient and don't sell it the odds of you finding another one ... and I'm partial to keeping the Hilborn sprayers on as is so cool definitely